Author Topic: Dunwich Dynamo, 24th July 2021  (Read 10322 times)

Re: Dunwich Dynamo, 24th July 2021
« Reply #25 on: 25 May, 2021, 09:19:30 pm »
I've done this several times and am minded to give it a go again this year.  I've done it from London once but never again.  I now do a 'Finchingfield feeder' version where a small group of us meet near Haverhill at 11pm, cycle over to Finchingfield to join the ride just after the bridge over the river.  We typically arrive in Dunwich between 5 and 6 am and then cycle an alternative route (usually via Wally's cafe at Acton, Long Melford) back to the environs of Haverhill.  Its a 250km round trip at full value Audaxing speed :-) .  This year I'm minded to return via the Maglia Rosso so that it doesn't matter if we are late for breakfast (Wally's shuts at 11 on Sunday's)

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #26 on: 25 May, 2021, 09:27:48 pm »
For quite a while, I have had a vague desire to scatter some tealights in jam jars from signs along the route but have never got round to it. The newbies seem to miss out on that cheering little tradition nowadays, which is a pity.

I don’t know whether I will be up for riding the Dynamo this year (might clash with life) but I would like to do it again sometime.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #27 on: 25 May, 2021, 09:29:05 pm »
There were some tealights present a couple of years ago.  Not enough to navigate by.  I believe the local oikery have learned to meddle with them.  Can't remember if the LEDs on the signs in Sudbury were there or not.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #28 on: 25 May, 2021, 09:31:20 pm »
I figure everybody is doing the GPS/ phone thing now anyway. It would just be to give riders the right vibe, rather than practicality.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #29 on: 25 May, 2021, 09:36:37 pm »
If it's vibe you're after, then there's been a boom in chalk and roadside decorations along with the many informal food stops in recent years.  It's not the same vibe, but I don't think it's worse.

« Reply #30 on: 25 May, 2021, 09:41:30 pm »
Different vibe.
The late and inimitable Barry Mason would've probably disapproved.
So, like Kim suggests, it might be better. ;)

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #31 on: 25 May, 2021, 09:54:29 pm »
I like what I like.

« Reply #32 on: 10 June, 2021, 04:51:52 pm »
Did it a few times, usually on to Ipswich for the proper train home, the one time I was determind to ride back I wrecked the front wheel and the loaner wheel was firmly recalimed at Dunwich.

But my first effort, using a routesheet, was saved by noticing a tiny candle in a jar at a very discrete side road turning. God bless whoever placed that one.

I was keen on this year but did fear the increased popularity, the last I did must be over 10 years ago and that was busy, as lifetime's worth of flashing red lights.

Mind you, I suppose setting off promptly/early and setting a half decent pace would avoid a lot of the mob.

« Reply #33 on: 11 June, 2021, 10:11:08 pm »
Well, I have finally decided to do it this year after logistical problems preventing me from doing it previously.  I have booked myself a train ticket to Euston on the Saturday afternoon and a Premier Inn at Ipswich for the Sunday night.  I might then ride back to London on the Monday and get the train home again from there or get the train from Ipswich instead.  Might have a kip on the beach at Dunwich before the ride back to Ipswich. Will report back after the event.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #34 on: 13 June, 2021, 12:46:24 pm »
If it's vibe you're after, then there's been a boom in chalk and roadside decorations along with the many informal food stops in recent years.  It's not the same vibe, but I don't think it's worse.
There was a CDC just before Gosbeck in 2019.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

rogerzilla

« Reply #35 on: 24 July, 2021, 04:47:18 pm »
Good luck to anyone dodging the showers tonight. 

« Reply #36 on: 24 July, 2021, 06:10:02 pm »
I'm about to head over. Not done it since 2010 (when ISTR I rode with Tynan ^^).
Will turn round half way though as knee not up to the full there and back and don't want to be stuck without trains.

« Reply #37 on: 24 July, 2021, 06:13:28 pm »
In my mind I'd cancelled this ride but the combination of Weather Bagel and Met Office has convinced me it won't be too bad, so I **WILL** be doing my FinchingField feeder to Dunwich and back.  I'll likely depart around 11pm. as that gets me to Dunwich some time between 5 and 6 am.

rogerzilla

« Reply #38 on: 24 July, 2021, 07:08:11 pm »
It always makes me feel empty inside when I don't ride.  2013-2018 was my longest stretch without a Dun Run, although I had to miss 2011 due to lack of transport back (that's usually the reason).

May the roads be tack-free, the Essex boy racers friendly and the pubs open!

Tomsk

• Fueled by cake since 1957
    • tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #39 on: 24 July, 2021, 09:04:51 pm »
We'll probably be tagging on around midnight from Dunmow, depending ... snack stops in Sudbury and Needham Lake; Framlingham perhaps, we're in no hurry?

Some of us will have a bit of kit onboard, so we won't be fast - maybe get to Dunwich around 8-ish?

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #40 on: 24 July, 2021, 09:13:37 pm »
I’ve been thinking about doing this for a few years but keep forgetting. I might wander out later and throw things at people as they cycle past.
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #41 on: 24 July, 2021, 09:19:26 pm »
Good luck to anyone dodging the showers tonight.

This. I feel a bit of a pang, but I have no lift back, the weather is likely to be hostile and I don't have any inclination yet to get on a train.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #42 on: 24 July, 2021, 10:03:30 pm »
I got my fix of night riding earlier in the week, on the grounds of temperature, so I'm sticking to my 2019 resolution:

Fuck the Dunwich Dynamo.

(Attitude may have improved by next year, so hopefully this post will serve as a reminder.)

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #43 on: 25 July, 2021, 12:33:00 am »
The weather forecast seems to have improved all the way along the route. I reckon there's a chance that most riders will avoid rain.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #44 on: 25 July, 2021, 01:58:15 am »
I think that's right.
I'm on the way back, at woodford, having turned just after Finchingfield.  Am having a15 minute break. No rain yet and it doesn't seem to be getting any nearer.
It was fun seeing all the riders going the other way. The last one was at epping at 1am, I don't know what time they get to Dunwich! But there were hundreds before him, they only thinned out around the Rodings. 

Another hour and a half and I should be home,ideally before the sun is up.

rogerzilla

« Reply #45 on: 25 July, 2021, 11:25:00 am »
Reports on Faecebook suggest it was a good ride, with little wind or rain.  Some wet fog (which, personally, I like on a night ride).  Numbers about 1/3 of normal.

« Reply #46 on: 25 July, 2021, 03:16:22 pm »
Completed 2021 Dun Run safely with two of my sons.
A few highlights were,
 1.the kindness of strangers. A fellow cyclist named Paul from Bildesden led us to the coast over the last ten miles after our Garmins went kaput.
2. That iwas accompanied by two of my sons, and thus was a family affair,
3. We ( just) dodged any rain, just thick mist by the coast,
4. Marvellous pop up food and refreshment stalls in the middle of the night in pitch black east anglia, Like Oasis.
5. Watching grown men dressed in cycling clobber shuffling by the Sea shore at 4 am trying to take selfies,
6. Witnessing tens of happy men and women complete a fairly unique cycling event.

« Reply #47 on: 26 July, 2021, 12:40:32 am »
The ride for us was complete dry apart from one shower around Sudbury.

We got delayed for various reasons early on and encountered zero open foodstalls after Dunmow-ish, apart from the Needham Lakes coffee van and the Gosbeck village hall. Not sure if that was just due to our lateness or if there were none.

For the drive home we reached the A406 via the M11 just as it was closed by flooding. We ended up being one of those idjits driving through inches of floodwater on Redbridge roundabout because the alternative was to... set up camp on the hard shoulder?

« Reply #48 on: 30 September, 2021, 07:58:15 am »
Haven't listened yet but there is a recording on BBC sounds called slow radio The Dunwich Dynamo. Gonna give it a listen later but thought I'd flag it up here

rogerzilla

« Reply #49 on: 30 September, 2021, 09:22:27 am »
I listened to it last night while scrubbing rust off Moulton parts.  I think it would work better through headphones.  Possibly in a state of intoxication.