Author Topic: Vuelta 2020  (Read 9805 times)

RichForrest

• T'is I, Silverback.
    • Ramblings of a silverback cyclist
Re: Vuelta 2020
« Reply #50 on: 04 November, 2020, 03:31:06 am »
I think Froome was saving himself to help Carapaz over the next week in the mountain stages.

Edit
Just seen this on Twitter https://twitter.com/chrisfroome/status/1323705808421572608

« Reply #51 on: 04 November, 2020, 04:01:31 pm »
Interesting that some riders, including Rog, are using tan wall tyres.   Ride qualities?
Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #52 on: 05 November, 2020, 12:18:30 pm »
Oh look!  Men hitting coloured balls with sticks.  None of them is P Roglič or H Carthy or D Martin or R Carapace.  You [“Uncle Montys” – Ed.].  And it's been that long since I used the ITV hub that even though Mr Google's save-ur-password-o-matic remembers the details ITV's SCIENCE does not, so I had to fanny about re-registrationising and clicking babbage-posts and turning off the shitvert-blocker and…

[Explodes]
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #53 on: 05 November, 2020, 02:56:31 pm »
Oh look!  Men hitting coloured balls with sticks.  None of them is P Roglič or H Carthy or D Martin or R Carapace.  You [“Uncle Montys” – Ed.].  And it's been that long since I used the ITV hub that even though Mr Google's save-ur-password-o-matic remembers the details ITV's SCIENCE does not, so I had to fanny about re-registrationising and clicking babbage-posts and turning off the shitvert-blocker and…

[Explodes]

Thanks for the pre-warning :-)
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

« Reply #54 on: 05 November, 2020, 04:09:40 pm »
Barring any strange mishaps Rog probably has the Vuelta in the bag...   Covatilla on Sat not really up there with the Angliru it seems.

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #55 on: 05 November, 2020, 05:24:59 pm »
I had to use the hub last night after the PVR only recorded 1 min of the program. I have no idea how you're supposed to get the highlights at 2000 or whenever, it only gave me the option of the repeat of what was on the telly after 2200.
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #56 on: 05 November, 2020, 06:06:40 pm »
AIUI the highlights added to the hub at 20:30-ish (according to TV's G Imlach) is the same prog that's (supposed to be) on Real-Time Television at hours 2200 or whenever.

Mrs Pingu

• Twitter
« Reply #57 on: 05 November, 2020, 06:26:54 pm »
Hmm, shall have to have a nosey around 2100 then

« Reply #58 on: 06 November, 2020, 09:08:15 am »
Personally I’ve been delighted with the Eurosport App ( seems to be the same as the GCN Race Pass app that has more recently launched).
Real time coverage, what seems to be a very flexible catch up availability.

TimC

• Old blerk sometimes onabike.
« Reply #59 on: 06 November, 2020, 09:12:45 am »
Personally I’ve been delighted with the Eurosport App ( seems to be the same as the GCN Race Pass app that has more recently launched).
Real time coverage, what seems to be a very flexible catch up availability.

I have this on my Playstation, which is connected to my telly. It's a bit of a faff going through the PS4 start-up routine, but the app itself works well. It's probably available directly on more modern smart tellies than mine (2016). I also have it on my phone, but obviously that's rather less appealing than a 50" screen!

« Reply #60 on: 06 November, 2020, 09:16:57 am »
I signed up for a Eurosport 7-day free trial, via A' Prime...

TimC

• Old blerk sometimes onabike.
« Reply #61 on: 06 November, 2020, 09:19:25 am »
I signed up for a Eurosport 7-day free trial, via A' Prime...

I did have it on Prime last year, but it annoyed the hell out of me that I couldn't combine it with my regular Eurosport subscription, so I binned it. It didn't help that, as the year went on, Amazon made it more and more difficult to find Eurosport in their menu system.

« Reply #62 on: 06 November, 2020, 09:31:10 am »
I had to use the hub last night after the PVR only recorded 1 min of the program. I have no idea how you're supposed to get the highlights at 2000 or whenever, it only gave me the option of the repeat of what was on the telly after 2200.

We've been catching up, having started late because of the Giro. The TT stage was only a 1 minute recording, but we decided not to bother as they're not the most riveting of events to watch usually.  The following stage (14?) started with coloured balls and sticks - but I noticed it was 1'15" long - and sure enough the highlights stared at 15" and finished an after afterwards, and it had been recorded after midnight.

I'll keep my fingers crossed that last nights worked as well, if not it'll be to the Hub.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

« Reply #63 on: 06 November, 2020, 07:16:46 pm »
So, will 2nd, 3rd and 4th place take turns attacking Roglic and trying to make him crack, will they all look to Ineos to do the work, or will they bottle it?
simplicity, truth, equality, peace

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #64 on: 07 November, 2020, 01:08:04 pm »
On the evidence of yesterday’s stage, Roglič isn’t going to sit back and let the other contenders come at him.  Leaders of Grand Tours aren’t supposed to get involved in sprint finishes, unless they’re Eddy Merckx.  They might get hurt.

« Reply #65 on: 07 November, 2020, 08:14:18 pm »
On the evidence of yesterday’s stage, Roglič isn’t going to sit back and let the other contenders come at him.  Leaders of Grand Tours aren’t supposed to get involved in sprint finishes, unless they’re Eddy Merckx.  They might get hurt.

Well, I think we can safely state that Roglic won the Vuelta due to his sprint finishes. He netted some 50 seconds of bonification seconds.

« Reply #66 on: 07 November, 2020, 09:45:27 pm »
Well, I think we can safely state that Roglic won the Vuelta due to his sprint finishes. He netted some 50 seconds of bonification seconds.

...and Carapaz only 16 seconds. Without the bonuses Carapaz would have an 8 second lead...

JStone

• E=112
« Reply #67 on: 08 November, 2020, 10:39:52 am »
I was delighted to see on yesterday's stage that Sunweb were using mudguards*. Or, at least, a small red blade horizontally behind the saddle to keep their bums dry.

*Unless they're fancy radio aerials instead?
Néophyte > 2007 > Ancien > 2011 > Récidiviste

« Reply #68 on: 08 November, 2020, 01:07:20 pm »
I was delighted to see on yesterday's stage that Sunweb were using mudguards*. Or, at least, a small red blade horizontally behind the saddle to keep their bums dry.

*Unless they're fancy radio aerials instead?

Arsesavers. NoI’m nor being rude, that’s what they are called should you want one. Many are given away by product sponsors, but they’re fairly cheap to buy as well.

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #69 on: 08 November, 2020, 01:39:29 pm »
Another triumph of joined-up thinking by Movistar's Tic-Tac-o-Matic 5000 AI yesterday :thumbsup:  Send Erviti up the road in the break so he can subsequently help Soler to ride to a glorious high-place fin… oh, wait!

T Moviestar’s AI:+++ TEAM PRIZE +++
Omnes:No-one cares, u kno!

Mrs Pingu

• Twitter
« Reply #70 on: 08 November, 2020, 08:23:47 pm »
That was good to see Carapaz keeping Roglic honest yesterday.

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #71 on: 08 November, 2020, 09:52:24 pm »
But slightly foolish of Carthy to lose 28 seconds on today’s stage :facepalm:

Still, the lesson we can draw from this year’s hectic Grand Tour schedule is that “super” is coming close to usurping “for sure” as the cliché of choice for cyclists struggling to give meaningful answers in a FOREIGN tongue :demon:

« Reply #72 on: 09 November, 2020, 08:52:59 am »
But slightly foolish of Carthy to lose 28 seconds on today’s stage :facepalm:

Still, the lesson we can draw from this year’s hectic Grand Tour schedule is that “super” is coming close to usurping “for sure” as the cliché of choice for cyclists struggling to give meaningful answers in a FOREIGN tongue :demon:
Super has been in the peloton vernacular for a few years.

« Reply #73 on: 09 November, 2020, 05:05:38 pm »
A terrific race.   I didn’t watch the giro and vuelta until about 5 years ago but I cannot remember a year with better tours than this.   I’m especially pleased for Hugh carthy, sam bennet and TGH. 

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #74 on: 09 November, 2020, 08:25:58 pm »

They were mostly used up in the wardrobe department.