Author Topic: Experiences of Teh Plague  (Read 84951 times)

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
Re: Experiences of Teh Plague
« Reply #250 on: 22 December, 2021, 12:34:02 pm »
Just been for a PCR test, because I've got a sore throat and a headache and blocked crustacean tubes, and need to not go anywhere near the orthopaedic hospital if it's COVID.   :-\

Negative.  Which means it must be normal lurgy.  At least I can go to the shop.

« Reply #251 on: 22 December, 2021, 01:10:25 pm »
 :thumbsup:   Good news.  Happy covid free sniffling. 
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

« Reply #252 on: 24 December, 2021, 07:35:28 pm »
Daughter in law has it - PCR back this evening. The rest of the household is negative.
So that's a rapid rearrangement of the plans for Christmas lunch then (not keen on beef anyway).

Trouble is, I've got a scratchy throat and a bit of a tickly cough.
LFT after tea.......

(edit) Test Negative, so it might be a cold.
Too many angry people - breathe & relax.

« Reply #253 on: 24 December, 2021, 09:54:27 pm »
I'm beginning to worry.  No negative reactions to either AZ or the moderna booster.  Or the 'flu jab.  Am I the only one?  Reading here, it would seem so. Did they actually work for me?

3 doses of Pfizer here, no side effects whatsoever.

« Reply #254 on: 24 December, 2021, 10:25:38 pm »
Tizer ?   I thought they pumped you full of Irn Bru up there.
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #255 on: 24 December, 2021, 10:31:47 pm »
Tizer ?   I thought they pumped you full of Irn Bru up there.

Tizer is just Irn Bru that failed QA.

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #256 on: 25 December, 2021, 12:04:43 am »
^    ;D
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

« Reply #257 on: 03 January, 2022, 08:09:23 am »
Its been our turn in the DF household, sequence of events;

25/12 Mrs DF collects no1 son and Grandson and drives them 2 hours to our place for Xmas. Usual food, games etc in the evening
26/12 Grandson obviously off colour, returns a +ve test, returns home with no 1 son
27/12 Evening Mrs DF starts coughing
28/12 Mrs DF poleaxed & cant get out of bed, headache, muscle aches, coughing, nausea.
29/12 Mrs DF returns positive flow test, cant get a pcr locally. Mrs DF still rough but improving.
30/12 Pcr finally booked
31/12 Pcr positive. Tin hat on and waiting for what seems the inevitable. Yours truly duly starts coughing, as does no 2 son who lives with us.
1/01 No2 son and yours truly return +ve flow tests, Pcr booked for 2/01
2/01 Pcr tests awaited.

No 2 son has no symptoms, yours truly has the headache and cough, slightly feverish for a day or so but overall ive had worse colds and in all honesty i would have gone out on the bike had it not been a positive flow test. No loss of taste or smell in any of us and No 1 son has tested negative throughout.

A

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #258 on: 08 January, 2022, 12:57:50 pm »
Acid reflux reaction cough seemed to linger after managing to buy rennies. (I rather over did it at new year)
Cough turned to occasional bark with sore throat
Cough keeping me awake
Cough barking away nicely now
Fuck

It's entirely probable that it's either my nasal congestion issues or repeated trips up into the land of glass fibre wool to fettle a leaking shower control unit.

LFTs -ve throughout, just away to fire up the car with the working driverside window and head down for a PCR.
Worst part is, I'm out of veg for tea and I was going to go to the shops today

Update:
Last time I was there, I was the only one doing self-administration with a few cars obviously going through the assistance route, this time I was one of 5 cars, didn't notice any cars going through the assisted route I was too busy coughing.
Will see how long it takes to come back, I'm due in the office on Tuesday and Wednesday, Tescos on Tuesday and at the dentists Wednesday.

« Reply #259 on: 08 January, 2022, 10:03:23 pm »
Been a bit sniffly, so did and LFT. -ve thankfully.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

barakta

• Bastard lovechild of Yomiko Readman and Johnny 5
« Reply #260 on: 09 January, 2022, 12:06:56 am »
Oldest niece developed symptoms early on 1st Jan, an LFT showed a faint positive line. My mum advised sister that even a faint LFT positive is a positive. They stayed isolated in Mum's caravan and came home on 2nd Jan a day early and had some PCR tests booked for them all.

Both children tested positive on PCR. Smaller niece had been complaining of feeling unwell but cos her temp was normal they thought she was just copying her sister... Oops. Older niece had a slightly tricky to control temperature for a few days.

A few days later Brother in Law tested positive, but children have both recovered fully. From what I can tell BiL either had very mild symptoms or no symptoms.

The children's cousin on their dad's side also had Covid, picked up on a test a day before oldest niece showed symptoms.

I hope none of the children were round the Mother in Law who has incurable cancer and is undergoing chemo at the moment. The garbled version I got from my mum was that everyone inc MiL was together on 25th Dec and some including all the children (?all) were together on 27th...

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #261 on: 09 January, 2022, 02:54:21 pm »
Cough receding, headache occasionally there, nose gunked, putting the bins out was a bit more fatigue inducing than normal.
At one point last night my left eye was telling me to piss off, but that was probably the congestion and headache, but then I don't normally spend hours staring a small artworks trying to work out what country they're from in order to organize in stamp album.

Still waiting for PCR result, LFTs remain -ve.

If this is just a Mk1 cold, it's been about normal for me except for the eye bit, and miles from my last one way back in January 2020 (all of it) that left me in bed for a week with an exhausted and injured diaphragm, and a back injury that I suspect resulted in my leg injury the following month.

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #262 on: 10 January, 2022, 02:36:15 am »
Finally recieved email saying that it's not the plague just a lurgy, so I'm allowed out to cough all over everything and one... Erm... Better not.

Tonight's fun to keep me awake is sinus pain.

Sent from my BKL-L09 using Tapatalk

« Reply #263 on: 10 January, 2022, 09:22:33 am »
I'm beginning to worry.  No negative reactions to either AZ or the moderna booster.  Or the 'flu jab.  Am I the only one?  Reading here, it would seem so. Did they actually work for me?

You’re not, the vast majority don’t have any side effects from jabs.

« Reply #264 on: 14 January, 2022, 05:55:40 pm »
Myself and Mr NSTN tested positive on Tuesday morning after starting to feel unwell at exactly the same time on Monday and going to be very early. At first I thought I was getting tonsillitis as my throat hurt and was swollen.

So far it has been like a very bad cold that has made us both feel very fatigued and grotty - this is pretty standard for me with colds, they tend to knock the stuffing out of me.

For various reasons we've been more careful than most and have turned down lots of things we'd have otherwise done. Think we can trace this infection down to an antivaxxer member of the family visiting Mr NSTN's grandad (93) last week and not letting anyone know that she subsequently got covid symptoms (she is apparently quite unwell at home and has been for the past ten days or so - we only know this now).

We then visited Grandad at the weekend and spent several hours shut in a tiny room with him (never mind windows, even the living room door is not allowed to be open because of the Dreaded Draft). Because it's high risk in that respect, we would not have visited if we'd known the antivaxxer had recently been there & was now unwell but she kept it quiet, probably because she is not speaking to most of us because we won't engage with the conspiracy theories.

So Grandad-in-law, FIL, me and Mr NSTN have all got it, which is nice. I expect my own family are unimpressed considering we decided not to visit over Christmas due to antivaxxers in my BIL's family and have ended up with it anyway.

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #265 on: 14 January, 2022, 06:35:29 pm »
Sigh. People.
Hope you are all feeling better soon.
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #266 on: 14 January, 2022, 07:36:46 pm »
That's really bad, Laura. Hope Granddad is OK and that you and Rob recover soonest.

Jan's youngest sister (61 last month) has long covid and has been undergoing tests. It seems that a CT scan has identified "bright spots" in her brain and they suspect very small escapes of blood causing damage. She was told that her brain is "more like that of a 70 or 80 year old". There's no proof it was covid that caused this, but it seems that is the docs' suspicion.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #267 on: 14 January, 2022, 07:56:35 pm »
Thanks Wow. Despite our caution we'd made an exception for visiting Grandad because Grandma died in June and he is obviously finding that extremely difficult, but his face lights up when he gets visitors especially of the canine variety.

Grandad has the various health conditions you'd expect for someone of his age and has made it clear that he doesn't consider it much of a life without visitors (including antivax daughter), but we had still been avoiding anything remotely risky in the week before we visited him. Apparently he is still (outwardly at least) currently in a better condition than we are, snotty but up and dressed and pottering about (I have been so wiped out I only felt enough energy and inclination today to have a shower and wash my hair) - I hope this level of sprightliness continues. I have had a pulse oximeter delivered to his house for monitoring.

Long covid is a worry. I'm planning on taking it very easy even when symptoms ease. I hope Jan's sister is able to recover eventually.

barakta

« Reply #268 on: 14 January, 2022, 08:02:40 pm »
How infuriating! And how selfish of antivaxxer to visit her father when she might be unwell and not to TELL anyone. Argh! I am glad Granddad is largely OK for now and hope he stays that way and that you and Rob feel better soonest. I think your plan for taking it very carefully is a good one.

« Reply #269 on: 18 January, 2022, 10:36:52 am »
Father-in-law and Grandad still seem ok and using the pulse ox I sent them. Managed to use Deliveroo app to pretend I was there and send them fish and chips the other night which apparently raised spirits.

Day 8 for me. Have felt quite rough the last week and when I mention this to people sometimes they say 'But omicron is supposed to be mild'  ::-) which makes me feel like some kind of malingerer. Well yes it's mild in that at no point have I felt in danger or like I needed medical attention (pulse ox agrees) but it is still quite shit.

I did a few hours of work yesterday (from home, as all my work is these days). It isn't remotely physical but does of course require some engagement of brain. I could have insisted it was handed over but it's complicated stuff with history and it's a pain picking it up if you don't know the history so I didn't want to chuck any colleagues in it.

Feel wiped out today so have retired back under the heated throw on the sofa. I have one piece of work I need to finish but will probably rest after that.

I constantly seem to have the light-headed/slightly drunk feeling that my migraines often give me - brain fog I guess. I haven't had a migraine since the night of day 1, which was a Bad One, but that's consistent with where I am in my cycle, I usually get a good week or so every month. I expect the migraine will flare up just as I kick the covid  >:(

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #270 on: 18 January, 2022, 02:46:09 pm »
My cleaning lady told me yesterday that her (double vaxed teenage) child had cough & chest pain but was otherwise well. Negative lateral flow but was getting a PCR.
Early today lady messages me she has runny nose and sore throat. Wanted to clean my house.
No! Please get PCR say I.
OK

Daughter now has positive PCR.

Glad I told her to stay home...

barakta

« Reply #271 on: 18 January, 2022, 10:03:41 pm »
Laura, try not to let work or yourself guilt you into working, the fatigue seems to be the killer with Covid and ultimately they'll need to cope. Anyone who claims "Omicron is mild so why are you properly ill" is not understanding the medical use of 'mild' (not hospitalised) or indeed the many people pointing out that people can still be miserably ill with it.

Hope you start feeling a lot better soon but keep resting as much as possible even when it doesn't feel needed.

My mum's been saying the ^^^ type things to my sister who's just out of Covid isolation and was a bit ill with it. She's much better but tired and she's not known for resting well.

I think WFH makes it easier to feel guilted into working.

« Reply #272 on: 19 January, 2022, 03:35:48 pm »
Thanks Barakta. WFH does make it harder to be off sick even though I must say my manager has put me under no pressure whatsoever - if I had to get dressed, walk to the station and mess with trains etc there is absolutely no way I would be working. I am now just doing a few hours a day to save having to hand anything over - by the time I'd done a handover there is stuff I may as well do myself.

Rob is doing much better now, considering he's the one that was considered vulnerable enough to get an earlier vaccine - I guess as it's not gone to his chest he's ok.

I think half my problem is that this is now turning to sinusitis, and the pressure in my head is in in turn aggravating my migraine.

I must say I feel sorry for people like cleaners, who usually don't get paid if they don't work, depending on the arrangements.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #273 on: 19 January, 2022, 05:17:09 pm »
My cleaning lady had a positive LFT today.
Her unvaxed son now has a sore throat.
I've told her to stay away next week.
I'll make sure the family gets fed.

« Reply #274 on: 19 January, 2022, 05:24:04 pm »
My cleaning lady had a positive LFT today.
Her unvaxed son now has a sore throat.
I've told her to stay away next week.
I'll make sure the family gets fed.

That’s decent of you Helly. I don’t think you’re in the majority. I won’t say any more as this isn’t the board for politics.