Author Topic: Experiences of Teh Plague  (Read 85527 times)

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
Re: Experiences of Teh Plague
« Reply #550 on: 01 July, 2022, 06:46:31 pm »
IIRC Greencore, makers of sandwiches and similar food-to-go for UK and IE supermarkets and corner shops, have their workers ungloved because they reckon they get better hygiene that way.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #551 on: 01 July, 2022, 07:54:13 pm »
No1 Daughter feeling better, still a bit of sore throat but no real cough.  Stil testing positive though, as did one of the carers yesterday
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #552 on: 01 July, 2022, 08:02:28 pm »
inappropriate / plain unhygienic glove-wearing.

Speaking of which, I happened to pass a couple of minimum-wage catering workers on a smoking break at the back of $popular_coffee_emporium the other day.  They were holding their cigarettes in their nitrile gloves.   :facepalm: :sick:

Sums up the problem with gloves nicely.
It should be 1 pair of gloves per customer served but never is.
But then it should also be wash hands after every customer too.

Was once speaking to the operator of a community hall who doesn't even wear marigolds when doing minging stuff, reckoning was rthat knowing the minging stuff is on hands results in her scrubbing her hands to pieces to get the minging stuff off.

« Reply #553 on: 01 July, 2022, 10:08:19 pm »
inappropriate / plain unhygienic glove-wearing.

Speaking of which, I happened to pass a couple of minimum-wage catering workers on a smoking break at the back of $popular_coffee_emporium the other day.  They were holding their cigarettes in their nitrile gloves.   :facepalm: :sick:

They probably only get one pair of gloves each per shift.
Taking sweaty gloves off can be difficult. DNAMHIKT.
Blame the employer not the employee.
I hasten to add that I've never had an employer who limited any sort of safety gear but then, I'm also pleased to report, that I've never been on minimum wage.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #554 on: 02 July, 2022, 01:15:40 pm »
I spent yesterday in tears, but at least I had the company of a good friend who doesn’t mind a bit of snot. Woke up with enough motivation to order some vitamins and do some mindfulness work. Apparently I walked over 3000 steps yesterday, the most for about a fortnight. Bloods from the long Covid clinic came back: 100% normal, which is good in most ways, but doesn’t give the easy answer I was hoping for.

Sending hugs, Ruthie.

This morning, a very rare occurrence: I was awoken abruptly by My Dear Wife, who had brought me a cup of tea. She had been up long enough to have made the porridge as well. It was 10.15. We have been occupying separate bedrooms since we arrived home from my brother's funeral and were both showing symptoms. That was over a fortnight ago.

It's very unusual for me to sleep so long into the morning, although I had trouble drifting off last night. My normal sleep pattern is to turn the light off some time between 12.30 and 1am and then I usually sleep quite well for 4 or 5 hours. Then I wake up, need the loo and can't drift off again, so I read for a bit for an hour or so until I feel my eyelids drooping again. Then I'll usually sleep until between 8 and 9.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #555 on: 02 July, 2022, 02:29:12 pm »
Dammit.  I did a test earlier & only the control line appeared.   Just taken a 2nd look & there is now a faint positive line.  Pah! 

I feel fine.   Hope the rest of you start to feel better soon.   

Moar long distance hugs for Ruthie. 
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

« Reply #556 on: 02 July, 2022, 04:47:53 pm »
Son had a high n temperature and hallucinations like when he got covid. Sure enough, two bars in quick order. His mum will get it in 3 days and I'll get it another 3 days later if its like last time.

Do  we have to test it no symptoms? Aiui we don't but we've got tests so we probably will if feeling ill. It's spreading now no free tests so we will test since we have enough.

« Reply #557 on: 02 July, 2022, 09:07:01 pm »
Do  we have to test it no symptoms?

I think I saw on the Zoe app or similar recently that it's still about 1 in 3 cases that are asymptomatic, so no symptoms does not necessarily mean no infection.

« Reply #558 on: 02 July, 2022, 09:59:29 pm »
From Zoe

“ Overall, our data suggest that it’s not worth doing another lateral flow test for at least 5 or 6 days after testing positive, as you’re very unlikely to test negative before then and you’ll just be wasting your kits. If you’re over 75, it’s worth waiting a bit longer. ”

CrinklyLion

• The one with devious, cake-pushing ways....
« Reply #559 on: 02 July, 2022, 10:08:56 pm »
Yeah, I tested (because I'd been snotted all over by m'nephew before we knew he had covid on top of the chicken pox) a couple of times until I got a clear positive, then didn't bother for 5 or 6 days. Got a negative, repeated the next day (I felt shocking, and wasn't going anywhere either way but was trying to avoid contaging the kid in the run up to exams if possible) and got a pretty assertive and quick positive. I think it was day 9 that I went negative again, and actually stayed that way.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #560 on: 02 July, 2022, 10:27:26 pm »
Covid and chicken pox at the same time? Not good!
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

CrinklyLion

• The one with devious, cake-pushing ways....
« Reply #561 on: 02 July, 2022, 11:34:54 pm »
Just about over the chicken pox when he must have started with covid - which he was proper poorly with for blinking weeks, poor wee monkey. We assumed the baby had covid at the same time, since everyone else did and she was a bit lurgied. Then a bit later, she got spots too... so I think the order was probably his chicken pox, then his covid, then her covid then her chicken pox. We know quite a lot of kids who got the double.

I'm astonished that my sister has any hair left, I'd have been tearing mine out!

« Reply #562 on: 03 July, 2022, 11:14:17 am »
Much sympathy, Ruthie.

I think I've recovered. Still get a tight chest. Not tried any aerobic exercise yet. Will prob try taking dog for a long brisk walk later today.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #563 on: 03 July, 2022, 11:38:38 am »
I did 35km this morning and felt as if I had done 300km. A long way from multi day 200km rides in early June

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #564 on: 05 July, 2022, 01:17:33 pm »
Slept late again this morning: woke up at 9.55.

« Reply #565 on: 05 July, 2022, 01:21:36 pm »
I think I can declare myself recovered. Still a little bit of coughing going on, but generally feel all right (and I've been back at work etc). First tested positive just over 2 weeks ago.

« Reply #566 on: 05 July, 2022, 02:28:45 pm »
Still a hacking cough which then stimulates snot which then produces more cough.  Followed by waves of tiredness.  Strength in legs feels the same but there is no endurance.  Even a little incline sees the heart spiking unto 150 where I would have been at 135 or 130 previously.

TimC

• Old blerk sometimes onabike.
« Reply #567 on: 05 July, 2022, 06:17:38 pm »
Much the same here, Chris. I've run out of tests, but I believe I'm negative now (it was definitely fading at the last count). However, still coughing, snotty and tired. Did a 22km ride yesterday afternoon which was very slow and today I felt like I'd done a hundred-miler!

John Stonebridge

• Has never ridden Ower the Edge
« Reply #568 on: 05 July, 2022, 07:08:33 pm »
tested positive today after feely lousy since Sunday.  Hacking dry cough, sore throat, shoulder / neck aches. 

We'd been at a family wedding near Stroud on Saturday and all 5 of us have tested positive now, as have most other guests that I know.  8 hr drive each way for us.

In a triumph of planning by my numpty boss its the 1st week of Scottish school holidays this week & Im meant to be covering for 6 other colleagues this week - that plan has changed at the "come back Monday" sign will get put up. 

Will go out for a 15km ride just to get some fresh air tomorrow

« Reply #569 on: 05 July, 2022, 08:07:58 pm »
Spent the afternoon asleep, cut up some chicken and salad for my wife and I then collapsed again. 
I have written off this summers long distance cycling.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #570 on: 05 July, 2022, 08:34:24 pm »
Spent the afternoon asleep, cut up some chicken and salad for my wife and I then collapsed again. 

Sorry to see that but I think it is wise.

The recommendations for return to athletic activity post-Covid are for a LONG lay-off. I think I posted them a while back.

I hope you recover smoothly, if slowly!

« Reply #571 on: 05 July, 2022, 08:36:55 pm »

I'm 3 months post my second bout (which at the time seemed like nothing) and still get fatigued quite easily. I've just had 4 days of doing no exercise and my resting pulse has dropped by about 5 beats.

I find this remarkable given that all was doing was my commute at zone 2 intensity.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #572 on: 05 July, 2022, 09:10:10 pm »
My lymphocyte count is low, but is within the range it has been for years.
Low lymphocyte counts are associated with poor Covid outcome, though I've been fine so far.
I had (mild) Covid at the end of January and was treated with monoclonal antibody.
My neutrophils are somewhat low (not within the 'dangerous' range) now.
This is new.
I don't know if this is Covid-related, a temporary non-specific glitch, or connected with medication I have taken, though I'm now only on the Rebif I've had since 1999.
I'll get a repeat in May and discuss with my neurologist at my appointment at the end of May.

The neurologist said the low neutrophils might be monoclonal antibody related.
Repeat blood count showed neutrophils were OK but lymphocytes were lowest ever.

I'm shit scared of next bout of Plague...

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #573 on: 05 July, 2022, 11:11:33 pm »
I've been out for a couple of long dog walks and short bike rides the last few days.

Walking im generally fine by HR up about 5/10 beats above where I think it should be for the terrain (tricky wee rocky step on Normans law that would normally be 160 got 170), and on the bike it looks similar but my HRR is terrible, that said it normally is for a couple of weeks after a cold too so maybe just over thinking it just now, can still stop out around 800w for a few seconds so at least that's at my normal level of rubbishness.

Sent from my IV2201 using Tapatalk

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #574 on: 06 July, 2022, 11:17:01 am »
So far as I can tell, the lingering cough and a tendency to sleep more (in bed before 11.30 last night. Final wake up this morning 8.50) are the worst symptoms remaining 18 days in. I reckon I might have been awake for an hour between about 5 and 6am. But I didn't feel at all refreshed when I woke up. I think I will wear my fitbit for a few nights and see what it reckons my sleep patterns/hear rate are.

I've been doing short bike rides (nothing more than 10 miles) without apparent difficulty but then with electric assist it's not easy to tell how I'm really doing. Oh, I had a good swim yesterday - slow plodding breast stroke for about 200 metres I reckon. No problem at all with that.