Author Topic: Running shoes: how do you choose yours?  (Read 7475 times)

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
Re: Running shoes: how do you choose yours?
« Reply #50 on: 09 July, 2021, 10:17:21 am »
I ordered Hoka Clifton Edges last week for 160 Euro but I sent them back as they definitely didn’t fit as well as my previous Challenger ATR.

In the end I ended up ordering another pair of Challenger ATR as I find them absolutely brilliant. They are for trails rather than road and I do 90% on the road but I didn’t want to spend ages sending shoes back and forth to find the right ones. there aren’t any shops round here that stock them for me to try, plus my size at 42 2/3 is right at the top end of the ladies so rarely stocked.
My blog on cycling in Germany and eating German cake – http://www.auntiehelen.co.uk

« Reply #51 on: 09 July, 2021, 12:11:04 pm »
Hope they do the job AH.

I have stuck with iterations of the Brooks wide shoes simply because they fit me properly, don't give me any foot issues whilst running and seem to last for at least 600kms which is acceptable if not great.  I still use a retired pair for walking and they are doing a fine job.   

« Reply #52 on: 09 July, 2021, 03:00:33 pm »
my size at 42 2/3 is right at the top end of the ladies so rarely stocked.
Do you need a ladies shoe? I always wear 'mens'.

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
« Reply #53 on: 09 July, 2021, 05:39:26 pm »
my size at 42 2/3 is right at the top end of the ladies so rarely stocked.
Do you need a ladies shoe? I always wear 'mens'.
Not really but I am going through a phase of liking lady colours.
My blog on cycling in Germany and eating German cake – http://www.auntiehelen.co.uk

« Reply #54 on: 19 July, 2021, 05:08:06 pm »
I bought a pair of Altra Guide Rail Paradigm 5 in size 11. I was going to be charged £145, but the sales assistant gave me a discount that brought it down to £125.  :thumbsup:  I did try a couple of other Altra running shoes in size 10 and 11, but the width wasn't to my liking. I tried on the Guide Rail Paradigm 5 and liked the sensation I felt in my (extremely wide) feet. :thumbsup:

Diesel

• or Richard
« Reply #55 on: 10 August, 2021, 09:46:30 pm »
Following up the helpful advice I received here in Feb regarding running shoes for (very) wide feet:
1. The trail running shoes I bought from Decathlon in the autumn were very good but both split across the top after less than 100 miles. This might be because they were too tight, they certainly weren't comfortable. Anyway they fell apart but Decathlon would not refund
2. Following the advice here I ordered some wide Hoka and wide Brooks Cascadia in Feb. I kept only the Brooks which were marginally more comfortable. After 6 months of little running, again less than 100 miles I have given up on the Brooks. They were still a little too tight on the width so not 100% comfortable. But one of the inside seams rode up and caused blisters. To their credit, Runners World have taken them back and refunded.
3. I discovered that Hoka do extra wide fittings  :thumbsup: only in one style as far as I can see so have ordered the Bondi 7. A few miles in, these seem promising so far but no idea if they'll last or survive the winter as they are not trail shoes (most of my running is off road)

Now that shops are open again I may venture in at some point and get some advice and try some on but options seem pretty limited. Sharing this in case anyone is in a similar predicament!