Author Topic: Racism in sport  (Read 5337 times)

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
Re: Racism in sport
« Reply #25 on: 12 June, 2021, 12:04:26 pm »
Long tradition of footy fans abusing their own players. It's partly Thier "right", and partly just good fun.
Most other sports don't really do this. Not sure why ...
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #26 on: 12 June, 2021, 01:57:12 pm »
A long time ago, but I attended Essex's first Lords Final v Surrey in July 1979. There was a guy from Witham standing behind us who spent the entire day shouting*, up to the point that alcohol got the better of him and he fell asleep for an hour or so in the afternoon. When Norbert Phillip was bowling he came out with a lot of racist remarks, but it was clear that he regarded him with some sort of affection and wanted him to do well.

*He also spent a long time shouting at white South African Ken McEwan when Essex were batting - I think he had money on McEwan top-scoring for Essex, but his 72 was eclipsed by Gooch's 120. My pal Mel turned to him at one point and enquired "You don't sell aspirin as well, do you?" much to the amusement of Witham Shouty Guy's mates.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #27 on: 12 June, 2021, 08:50:36 pm »
Is it wrong of me to point and laugh at the Russian fans in St. Petersburg who, having roundly booed the Belgian team for taking a knee, had to witness their side going 1-0 down after only ten minutes to a goal scored by Romelu Lukaku?

Edit: Even better, he scored Belgium's third goal as well :thumbsup:
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime