Author Topic: Euro 2020/21  (Read 23562 times)

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
Re: Euro 2020/21
« Reply #75 on: 20 June, 2021, 08:19:49 pm »
Ah. My first thought on seeing them was actually that someone in Italian football must have died, but I didn't know who it could have been.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #76 on: 20 June, 2021, 09:45:50 pm »
On the sidelines, Mancini exuded confidence, as did his team en route to racking up an 11th successive victory. At one point Mancini, in a white Giorgio Armani shirt and royal blue tie, rolled back the years, controlling a wayward pass in the home dugout despite wearing black loafers, killing the ball almost dead and drawing a wave of applause from the crowd. Along the touchline the tattooed Page, in tracksuit bottoms and a polo shirt, urged his team to dig in.
There's a lot more than football in there.

« Reply #77 on: 20 June, 2021, 11:44:34 pm »
And hockey is a game where players spend 70 minutes injuring people?
Ice Hockey?
simplicity, truth, equality, peace

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #78 on: 20 June, 2021, 11:46:45 pm »
And hockey is a game where players spend 70 minutes injuring people?
Ice Hockey?

…is a game where players spend 60 minutes trying to kill each other?
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #79 on: 21 June, 2021, 02:37:40 pm »
Last night, I went to a fight and an ice hockey game broke out.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #80 on: 21 June, 2021, 04:44:21 pm »
Try waterpolo, Wow: games between Hungary and USSR can be very restful.

« Reply #81 on: 21 June, 2021, 05:09:34 pm »
I've only ever been to 1 ice hockey match, which was a "friendly" between Cardiff and some eastern European side. At one point, a Cardiff player blocked one of the eastern Europeans off his feet - he got up, chased him down and smashed the butt of his stick down on the back of the Cardiff players helmet. After the inevitable large fight was broken up, they both got 2 minutes in the bin for an "illegal check".

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #82 on: 21 June, 2021, 08:15:48 pm »
Am I alone in finding it rather irritating when commentators are forever mentioning some BRITISH fupbol club in relation to J. Random Player on any one of the European sides, as though that is the defining criterion or that player's existence?

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #83 on: 21 June, 2021, 08:32:09 pm »
What could possibly be more important than knowing that one of the Finnish players had a spell at Southampton?

Apart from knowing the answer to the question “Is O'Shaughnessy one of the famous O'Shaughnessys of Lapland?”

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #84 on: 21 June, 2021, 09:51:46 pm »
Even Braintree got a mention earlier this evening for one of the players in question. What we need to know is whether his local station was Braintree, Braintree Freeport or Black Notley?

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #85 on: 21 June, 2021, 10:10:53 pm »
Congratulations England! The boy Lineker, for, quite naturally, it was he what done great, has just informed the viewing public that, whatever the result of their last game and all possible other permutations, they qualify for the next stage of the competition.

Get in!

« Reply #86 on: 21 June, 2021, 11:45:46 pm »
I've only ever been to 1 ice hockey match, which was a "friendly" between Cardiff and some eastern European side. At one point, a Cardiff player blocked one of the eastern Europeans off his feet - he got up, chased him down and smashed the butt of his stick down on the back of the Cardiff players helmet. After the inevitable large fight was broken up, they both got 2 minutes in the bin for an "illegal check".
Been to two.  The first one was Coventry v Belfast?? Irish team I think, it was top two spots of the UK league and a proper grudge match, closest I have been to a riot - there was a point where an away (NotCov) player was climbing out of the sin bin to try and hit local fans with his stick.  The second one was in Chezc Republic, Riot police were all over the public transport because of the game.
In comparison the NHL is a bit staid.
simplicity, truth, equality, peace

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #87 on: 22 June, 2021, 09:20:06 am »
Am I alone in finding it rather irritating when commentators are forever mentioning some BRITISH fupbol club in relation to J. Random Player on any one of the European sides, as though that is the defining criterion or that player's existence?
Even commentators on TVPolskaSport mentioned that one of the Hungarians plays for no less a mighty side than Bristol City! So perhaps this really is the defining criterion of a player's existence.  ??? However, Hungary's only goal in that match (against France) was scored by a player whose club is in the Hungarian third division – but they didn't give us the name.

« Reply #88 on: 22 June, 2021, 12:33:31 pm »
Scotland player tested positive for covid, yet the other players in the team, whom he would have
been in close contact with in the changing rooms, can play in tonight's game. Two England players
who were in close 'proximity'* to him after the game have to self-isolate. It doesn't bother me, as
I can't wait for the over-hyped England team to be eliminated. It's just the rationale as to who has 
to self-isolate is not clear to me.

*close contact with/shared space with/had a beer with/etc etc, you know what I mean.

« Reply #89 on: 22 June, 2021, 01:00:47 pm »
Only Chelsea players have to self-isolate (all 3 play for Chelsea).  This should be made permanent and extended to the whole of the Chelsea team - for ever.........

« Reply #90 on: 22 June, 2021, 04:50:54 pm »
Scotland player tested positive for covid, yet the other players in the team, whom he would have
been in close contact with in the changing rooms, can play in tonight's game. Two England players
who were in close 'proximity'* to him after the game have to self-isolate. It doesn't bother me, as
I can't wait for the over-hyped England team to be eliminated. It's just the rationale as to who has 

*close contact with/shared space with/had a beer with/etc etc, you know what I mean.

They are in separate bubbles, In effect each bubble isolates together (if that makes sense). In the case of the England and Scotland groups two players have compromised the separation between the two groups and must isolate away from their teammates.

In theory this separation should confine covid outbreaks if they happen to individual bubbles.

Hope that makes sense
“There is no point in using the word 'impossible' to describe something that has clearly happened.”
― Douglas Adams

« Reply #91 on: 22 June, 2021, 07:00:21 pm »

They are in separate bubbles, In effect each bubble isolates together (if that makes sense). In the case of the England and Scotland groups two players have compromised the separation between the two groups and must isolate away from their teammates.

In theory this separation should confine covid outbreaks if they happen to individual bubbles.

Hope that makes sense
I don't understand your explanation. When you say they, to whom are you referring? The Scotland
player must have been in very close proximity to players in the changing rooms, on the coach to and
from the match and when stood next to others during the national anthem (no two metre rule there).
I suppose the rules are flexible and open to interpretation. Yes, that must be the explanation. ;)

« Reply #92 on: 22 June, 2021, 07:57:02 pm »
It's not that easy to explain as I think the rules are based on expediency and not necessarily logic.

The aim is to stop Covid being passed from one squad to another. When they are not playing the squads are supposed to isolate amongst themselves and not mingle with outsiders. The Scotland player may well have infected other members of the Scotland squad (I guess we'll find out in a day or two) but the unauthorised interaction with the two England players risked it being passed to the English squad. The actual match as it takes place in the open is not deemed to be 'close proximity'.

Like I said not necessarily logical.
“There is no point in using the word 'impossible' to describe something that has clearly happened.”
― Douglas Adams

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #93 on: 22 June, 2021, 09:54:43 pm »
Jolly good show, England :thumbsup:

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #94 on: 22 June, 2021, 09:57:32 pm »
I'm kinda surprised the players haven't been vaccinated. Or perhaps they have?

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #95 on: 22 June, 2021, 09:58:42 pm »
I'm kinda surprised the players haven't been vaccinated. Or perhaps they have?

Against losing on penalties?

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #96 on: 22 June, 2021, 09:59:13 pm »
Jolly good show, England :thumbsup:
Seems Croatia woke up too!

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #97 on: 22 June, 2021, 11:50:50 pm »
Unhappy for Scotland,  but pleased for Modrić.
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

« Reply #98 on: 23 June, 2021, 07:16:31 am »
'parently it's the 'first time England have made it through a group stage without conceding a goal, since 1966'...   ;D

Saka was impressive for England.
Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

« Reply #99 on: 23 June, 2021, 08:19:17 pm »
'parently it's the 'first time England have made it through a group stage without conceding a goal, since 1966'...   ;D

It's all over, innit?
Move Faster and Bake Things