Author Topic: Dairy Dodgers Thread  (Read 5233 times)

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
Dairy Dodgers Thread
« on: 01 July, 2021, 07:32:16 pm »
Anyone have hints/tips to share?

I'll start. Hullo, I'm Matt and I've developed Lactose Intolerance. Grateful to not have a full-on allergy.
Tip: lactose-free milk beats soy/oat etc. I sometimes take a tiny pot on café rides - get some strange looks!

Q: anyone carry plant-based spread with them on tour? Dry toast is horrendous, and cafes all seem to have gone to butter recently. :facepalm:
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

hellymedic

• Just do it!
Re: Dairy Dodgers Thread
« Reply #1 on: 01 July, 2021, 07:51:40 pm »
Is butter a problem? My Dad is VERY lactose intolerant and I THINK he's OK with butter and some plain yoghurts.

Barakta is lactose-intolerant and might advise. I don't know if Lacto-free portion packs are still available; they're handy if you can get them

barakta

• Bastard lovechild of Yomiko Readman and Johnny 5
« Reply #2 on: 01 July, 2021, 08:04:04 pm »
Lactose tends to reside in the non-fatty portion of dairy products. Most lactose intolerant folk are not 100% lactose intolerant.

I can personally get away with regular butter/marge and hard cheeses like chedder and that orange stuff (red Leicester). Brie is lactose free/low lactose.

Some links to useful lactose amounts in food info:
https://www.allergybestbuys.co.uk/pages/lactose-intolerance-list-of-foods
https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/lactose-intolerance/treatment/

I am OK with lactose in tablets so far.

I can't tolerate even a cup of tea's worth of regular milk or equivalent cream, yoghurt or things like feta or that soft herby cheese stuff (which I really like). Whey and skimmed milk powders are LETHAL and are in so many things, you do have to check ingredients and watch them change. The NHS page alerts to some of the things that are secret lactose.

You can still get lacto free milk in single portions (https://www.arlafoods.co.uk/products-overview/arla-lactofree-long-life-semi-skimmed-milk-drink-portion-packs-5x20ml-30648/) which I call milkoids from most stupid markets at 40-60p for 5 (not cheap). I tend to carry a sealable container of lactofree milk only using portions when I am travelling super light cos I don't much like UHT lactofree. I struggle cos people try to offer me soya milk which actually makes me retch (dunno why). I agree other non dairy milks are just not that nice. I'll do tea with oatmilk at a push but it's not ideal.

Some people find Lactase as tablets helps them have lactose stuff. I have never found it amazingly effective. It's better than nowt but I still can't have ice cream and a Korma is a struggle which are the two main things that I'd try it on. I am yet to try lactase drops which may be better.

« Reply #3 on: 01 July, 2021, 08:13:08 pm »
IME vegan margarine (including Vitalite and other not-specifically-vegan brands) is extremely temperature tolerant, so should be ok if you can figure out a good way to carry it.

« Reply #4 on: 01 July, 2021, 09:15:34 pm »

Original Mini Babybels are lactose free (possibly also cheese free...)

IIRC  there's a rough and ready way of guesstimating lactose content of cheese by looking at the sugar content (higher sugar indicates higher lactose)

I was recently introduced to Vegan Magnum ice-creams and I'm going to drag you all down with me. Salted caramel is my favourite so far.

I can get away with a bit of chocolate milk - apparently all the additional gloop slows down its progress through your system, giving the lactase you have got more of an opportunity to act on it.

As ever, everything's all highly conditional on everything else that's going on - cumulative diet, what else you've eaten with it, stress etc

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #5 on: 01 July, 2021, 09:27:52 pm »
I'm by no means lactose intolerant (what are the symptoms of a lactose-intolerant person having lactose?) but in recent years (5 or so) I have cut down massively on the amount of cow's milk I drink.

In the first instance, I noticed that I no longer suffered from pompholyx. I suggested reducing dairy to a fellow sufferer and when she did, she too noticed that her symptoms had gone.

Secondly, I noticed a marked reduction in my rheumatoid arthritis symptoms. I recall discussing this with the mother of a teaching colleague at least 40 years ago and she had given up cow's milk and took soy in an era when such things were most unfashionable. She reckoned her arthritis was a lot better as a result.

I have oat milk in tea, coffee and porridge. I eat butter and cheese (mostly cheddar) with no problem. Every so often, if I want a quick breakfast (porridge is our default), I will have a packeted cereal with honey and semi-skimmed cow's milk, and I've never suffered any side-effects that I have noticed.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #6 on: 01 July, 2021, 11:29:25 pm »
A friend forgot her distant and abandoned medical training and thought I was lactose intolreant after informing me that the hostel dorm was honking after I ate a pizza on a hiking trip.
I confirmed this during a Galashiels 300 after having half a pint of lactose free milk and stopping at every lavvy on both the way to and back from Alston and nearly getting locked in the old school at Eskdalemuir.

Prior to these events I'd largely reduced dairy intake due to the old wives tale about it helping rhiniitis and only really eating weetabix for breakfast which just needs to be sogged enough to not be crunchy.
What I hadn't realized at the time was that the sudden urge to visit the nearest available lavatory or in the absence of one, hedge was significantly reduced, I've had that for life so didn't know it wasn't particularly "normal".

Oat Milk's worked pretty well.
And I generally use non-dairy spread anyway.

What I need to know is how the feck do you wean yourself off milk chocolate and nuttella?

Major downside, can't shouldn't drink Chocomel.

« Reply #7 on: 02 July, 2021, 09:29:00 am »
I remember Jasmine telling me
I'm not good with dairy but I forget, so if I start trying to buy yoghurt at 3am please stop me
prior to our tandem arrow.

No2Son is allergic to dairy but generally pretends he's not if it's something he really wants. I think it's easier to ignore eczema than the shits though, he's stricter about the gluten.

« Reply #8 on: 02 July, 2021, 11:27:26 am »
I remember Jasmine telling me
I'm not good with dairy but I forget, so if I start trying to buy yoghurt at 3am please stop me
prior to our tandem arrow.

No2Son is allergic to dairy but generally pretends he's not if it's something he really wants. I think it's easier to ignore eczema than the shits though, he's stricter about the gluten.

Yeah, I still do this.

My advice is that if you are the sort of person to make bad food choices when tired/hungry*, then you'll make bad food choices even if you know it will make you very ill later. If you are that sort of person, then you need to plan ahead so that you aren't in situations where you are standing in a garage at 3am looking at a rhubarb yoghurt thinking "mmm, that looks super tasty, that's just what I need right now."

It's also worth understanding what the consequences of each foodstuff are and whether you are in a situation where you can manage it. There's some foodstuffs that I will eat at home, but absolutely wouldn't risk during a bike ride (and certainly NEVER when running).

* you know, things like doing the shopping after a bike ride or a run and when you get home you realise you've bought very little actual food but have half the shop's stock of cake, biscuits and ice-cream.

« Reply #9 on: 02 July, 2021, 02:09:34 pm »
How would one know if they're developing a lactose intolerance. Not that I'm aware of any symptoms personally,  but it's good to know.
I currently consume a litre of organic full fat milk daily in tea, on shredded wheat and enjoying a refreshing cold glass. The Milk Marketing  Board advised this decades ago

« Reply #10 on: 02 July, 2021, 02:58:45 pm »
If you're spending a long time in the bathroom, after running there, having recently consumed some of the White Stuff, that would be a big clue.

barakta

« Reply #11 on: 02 July, 2021, 05:36:47 pm »
My lactose intolerance was rapid onset after gastro badness in 2011. Despite the NHS website and my GP claiming it'd recover, it never really has. I may have been slightly lactose intolerant before as I would sometimes feel sick after drinking a glass of milk or whole bowl of cereal but it is hard to tell.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #12 on: 02 July, 2021, 08:28:48 pm »
Lactose intolerance causes gassy diarrhoea, (with or without griping) I think.

Many folk get gassy diarrhoea occasionally but explosive attacks after consuming dairy might make you suspicious.

ravenbait

• Someone's imaginary friend
  • No, RB3, you can't have more tupperware.
    • Someone's imaginary friend
« Reply #13 on: 02 July, 2021, 08:31:37 pm »
I have this moment realised I might be dairy intolerant.

I just thought the secondary brain in my gut was a brat.

Sam
https://ravenbait.com
"Created something? Hah! But that would be irresponsible! And unethical! I would never, ever make... more than one."

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #14 on: 02 July, 2021, 09:01:17 pm »
Dodge dairy for a few days, then 'challenge' your gut..
Then dodge...

ian

« Reply #15 on: 02 July, 2021, 09:11:55 pm »
A quick google determines that lactose intolerance causes everything from autism to Alzheimer's. It might be worse than gluten, though that doesn't seem possible, as gluten kills millions of people every year.

I'm lentil intolerant, which is a shame, as I like daal. But god, the pain as I swell up, and then the aftermath. Everything brown.

Life without butter is not worth living and you all know it.

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #16 on: 03 July, 2021, 09:39:33 am »
A quick google determines that lactose intolerance causes everything from autism to Alzheimer's. It might be worse than gluten, though that doesn't seem possible, as gluten kills millions of people every year.

I'm lentil intolerant, which is a shame, as I like daal. But god, the pain as I swell up, and then the aftermath. Everything brown.

As Neil the Hippie said:
Everyone knows sleep gives you cancer!

Which is hard to disprove.
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

barakta

« Reply #17 on: 03 July, 2021, 12:11:17 pm »

Luckily butter has almost no lactose in it, so I still get to eat that!

I usually test myself on lactose every year just to see if it's improved, but it doesn't.

It could be worse, it could be genuine coeliac which is a right fucking hassle and you can't cheat with lactase!

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
  • Overseaing the building of the death star
« Reply #18 on: 03 July, 2021, 12:19:58 pm »

Decent butter.

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #19 on: 03 July, 2021, 02:07:06 pm »

I am OK with lactose in tablets so far.

Some people find Lactase as tablets helps them have lactose stuff. I have never found it amazingly effective. It's better than nowt but I still can't have ice cream and a Korma is a struggle which are the two main things that I'd try it on. I am yet to try lactase drops which may be better.
When I first read that I thought
Why on EARTH would you want to take Lactose tablets??
 :facepalm:
 ;D

But anyway, yeah I can tolerate small amounts, seems to fit what you posted.
(Haven't tried LactAse yet - I might do when I am really really missing ice-cream. And I am at home ... )
Has never ridden RAAM
---------

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #20 on: 03 July, 2021, 02:10:48 pm »
Luckily butter has almost no lactose in it, so I still get to eat that!
I usually test myself on lactose every year just to see if it's improved, but it doesn't.
It could be worse, it could be genuine coeliac which is a right fucking hassle and you can't cheat with lactase!

Aah thanks! I thought it was OK!

HK OTP is a genuine coeliac and Tweets about GF availability...

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #21 on: 03 July, 2021, 02:23:34 pm »
LactOse in tablets might be a 'filler' to bind with medication to facilitate stamping a consistent tablet.

LactAse breaks down lactOse into glucose & galactose, reducing lacrOse's EVIL effects.

I THINK my Dad's OK with some yogurts because almost ALL the lactOse has been converted to lactic acid. I don't know which yogurts suit; I'll ask Mum at some point. I suspect these will be the very sour sort.

barakta

« Reply #22 on: 03 July, 2021, 02:35:37 pm »
Yeah, I can't seem to handle dairy yoghurt despite the idea that they're supposed to be OK. But I never really did like it, always tasted wrong/horrid.

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #23 on: 09 September, 2021, 01:44:42 am »
My resistance to funding veganism was beaten by spotting fake cheese in the petrol station next to the fake milks.

Sheese, made from oats, I've had none of the problems I associate with eating cheese particularly on pizza, particularly 4 cheese ones and particularly when I've convinced the lazy dog to go 4miles across the village and we've just turned home when the discomfort and need to go arrived, I made it that time... just, poor dug had to wait for her post walk garden visit.

And its acceptable on a burger.

One of the Dundee pizzaeries does fake cheese with fake other stuff, I'll have to try it with a meat feast.

I should really try and find out what it is about dairy that triggers me, as if it's not a dairy specific intolerance or allergy then something in it, that's in other stuff might mean I've scope for further change for the better... My though is fat and gallbalder issues, cos family history.

Sent from my BKL-L09 using Tapatalk

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #24 on: 23 February, 2022, 06:58:11 pm »
Yeah, pizza cheese seems to be about the worst variety ...

So, opinion poll: do we think 40p is a fair supplement to charge for "special" milk in a cafe?
Has never ridden RAAM
---------