Author Topic: It's got a name, let's put it on the bucket list.  (Read 6455 times)

Re: It's got a name, let's put it on the bucket list.
« Reply #50 on: 07 July, 2021, 03:37:51 pm »
Julie would study the maps for the next day when away. She would go mad when I say let's go this way looks more interesting. Sometimes it was where will we up again further up the road. 😀

Re: It's got a name, let's put it on the bucket list.
« Reply #51 on: 07 July, 2021, 05:07:53 pm »
It's getting the awareness of the area ahead of time, so that when the weather changes/roads are closed/etc you are comfortable in changing route on the fly without need to resort to a detailed map and try to plan anything.  Just being aware of the towns/etc that will appear on the roadsigns is enough to give you the ability to go explore in the rough general direction you need to go.

As an example, locally, we got stuck in a massive queue due to staycationers trying to get home.  We were on a time limit to get somewhere which should have been a 20 minute drive.   I didn't have to look at the map, nor program the satnav, I just told Mrs Nutty which turning to take and back roads to follow.  Very nasty route, and added 10 minutes to the journey (checking online later), but based on the stationary traffic (still there when we went home 4 hours later) was significantly quicker than sitting in the jam.

Nutty the satnav will have everyone trying to do the same today, it's a standard feature now😭 Haven't the lanes become busy because the satnav gives some drivers confidence to leave the main roads and (explore) now.

You think I chose the satnav preferred route?    :P

Whenever I take the motorbike to the office my objective is to knock 15 minutes or more off the journey time.  Sat nav always objects when I deviate from the route, then re-calculates, then plans a new route that is 5 minutes faster.

The human brain, which has looked at the maps and knows the general area (it's a 2 hour commute) always beats both the sat nav as well as the people following a sat nav deviation on the times there are unusual congestion issues.