Author Topic: Todays view from General Practice  (Read 11627 times)

IJL

Todays view from General Practice
« on: 05 July, 2021, 04:05:58 pm »
I seem to have spent much of today repeating the same conversation, it goes like this.

Me.  you don't seem to be taking your meds very often
Patient.  I take them every day without fail
Me.  We prescribed 28 tablets in December its now July
Patient.  But I take them every day.

Re: Todays view from General Practice
« Reply #1 on: 05 July, 2021, 04:39:31 pm »
I see that frequently doing medical reports. Severe pain but last prescription 6 months ago.

IJL

« Reply #2 on: 05 July, 2021, 04:56:15 pm »
We're doing lots of remote consultations at the minute, "send me a picture of your rash and ill call you back"
Given how good modern phone cameras are its quite a talent to get everything apart from the rash in focus

« Reply #3 on: 05 July, 2021, 09:29:32 pm »
Mrs M seems to get the opposite with her tablets - Gabapentin in particular.
I'm not sure exactly how much she's prescribed, but it goes like this - "Why do you want more tablets, we gave you 100 last month?" - "You said take 3 a day" - "Yes, but why do you want more?"- "because I take three a day"......
She's at screaming pitch every so often with these sorts of calls!
Too many angry people - breathe & relax.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #4 on: 05 July, 2021, 09:38:28 pm »
I'm also on gabapentin 100mg TDS. I've not yet had trouble getting repeat prescriptions. I've had a few days tablet-free when asymptomatic.
It IS a Controlled Drug so I suppose some caution is needed.

barakta

• Bastard lovechild of Yomiko Readman and Johnny 5
« Reply #5 on: 05 July, 2021, 09:52:18 pm »
I'm not sure I trust my GP's computer which at last week's meds review claimed I hadn't had two "take as needed" meds since 2017 when I got my last batch in March. I suspect there may be a Doctor shaped user-error there too, cos the good GPs who are human(e) seem to be not-very-good at the computer and emit bogons...

They were very pleased to remove gabaentin from my repeat though (which I thought had been taken off in Feb!).

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #6 on: 05 July, 2021, 10:26:10 pm »
I’m not sure why there is a performance every 6 weeks for a repeat prescription.

From a business/turnover perspective, these are perfect. You know how many of the product are needed, who it is going to, and when it is needed. You could even automate it!

But, oh no. Just no.
It is simpler than it looks.

IJL

« Reply #7 on: 06 July, 2021, 08:08:15 am »
I’m not sure why there is a performance every 6 weeks for a repeat prescription.

From a business/turnover perspective, these are perfect. You know how many of the product are needed, who it is going to, and when it is needed. You could even automate it!

But, oh no. Just no.

The prescription needs signing be it electronic or pen.  There is a process called repeat dispensing where the prescriptions are electronic but signed in advance and released on set dates.  This is a change to far for some GP's 
We are almost 100% electronic prescriptions (ETP) which makes the process a lot swifter.
The NHS app is good for requesting repeats. no phone call required

If you have repeats the

« Reply #8 on: 06 July, 2021, 08:35:00 am »
The Patient Access electronic system works well for me.
The big improvement that my GP practice brought in was an in-house pharmacist, working part time. He can deal with prescription enquiries, and a whole lot of other things. He’s been especially helpful in helping me to find the most effective product option for my needs.
I’m sure he must be effective in reducing the need for actual GP appointments. The same can, I’m sure, be said of Prescribing Practice Nurses.

« Reply #9 on: 06 July, 2021, 08:44:27 am »
I see that frequently doing medical reports. Severe pain but last prescription 6 months ago.

I've been that patient in the past.   Don't like the side effects so hold off taking the pills until essential as opposed to 3 or 4 times a day as prescribed.

I still vaguely remember a weekend away in Paris, not so much for the sights we saw as the zombie and mental dullness I was as Mrs Nutty led me around the sights.

Feanor

• It's mostly downhill from here.
« Reply #10 on: 06 July, 2021, 08:47:16 am »
Here in Scotland, the repeat prescription system has been automated.
Its called the CMS system.

I don't need to involve my GP.
On ongoing prescription is held on file at the pharmacy, and every 2 months I just call the pharmacy and its available for collection the following day.

There is a periodic review, of course.

« Reply #11 on: 06 July, 2021, 08:49:12 am »
We're doing lots of remote consultations at the minute, "send me a picture of your rash and ill call you back"
Given how good modern phone cameras are its quite a talent to get everything apart from the rash in focus

Modern phones are shit for taking photos one handed particularly if it’s a close up of another body part. There’s also a min focus distance which isn’t as close as people think.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #12 on: 06 July, 2021, 09:01:27 am »
My prescription lasts 3 months, then I trog down to the GP's den for a check-up.  Same basic meds for the last N years, blood analysis & cardiologist every 6 months. I known the GP and the cardiologist for the last 30 years.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

IJL

« Reply #13 on: 06 July, 2021, 09:06:12 am »
This mornings news is that last week we had the highest number of positive Covid tests since the week of the 8th of March.

I think i'll be hanging onto my masks 

« Reply #14 on: 06 July, 2021, 11:50:52 am »
Masks or not, everybody will have Covid at some stage, just like everyone gets a cold.  The only reason we have lockdown measures is to prevent the NHS being overwhelmed.  Not because its important for the NHS to be managed well, but because it won't look good during the next elections.

« Reply #15 on: 06 July, 2021, 12:51:39 pm »
Masks or not, everybody will have Covid at some stage, just like everyone gets a cold.  The only reason we have lockdown measures is to prevent the NHS being overwhelmed.  Not because its important for the NHS to be managed well, but because it won't look good during the next elections.
I'd tend to agree with you on those points.
The 'not overwhelming the NHS' thing has been forgotten in the noise.

Masks /face coverings are very divisive (on Social media at least). I think I can see the positive benefits in health and social care settings, and on crowded public transport *where they are worn correctly*, but in the situations I'm likely to find myself in - none of the above - I'm very doubtful about their efficacy (and the scant research I've seen seems to back me up).
I'll be glad to see the end of them.
Too many angry people - breathe & relax.

IJL

« Reply #16 on: 06 July, 2021, 12:52:18 pm »

The bigger the pool of infection the more chance of seeing new variants.  The new variants could be milder than what we're seeing at present on the other hand.........

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #17 on: 06 July, 2021, 03:59:53 pm »

On ongoing prescription is held on file at the pharmacy, and every 2 months I just call the pharmacy and its available for collection the following day.

Hmm, did not know that....
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
  • Overseaing the building of the death star
« Reply #18 on: 06 July, 2021, 04:12:54 pm »
Mrs M seems to get the opposite with her tablets - Gabapentin in particular.
I'm not sure exactly how much she's prescribed, but it goes like this - "Why do you want more tablets, we gave you 100 last month?" - "You said take 3 a day" - "Yes, but why do you want more?"- "because I take three a day"......
She's at screaming pitch every so often with these sorts of calls!

That is my experience with non controlled diabetic drugs, via the app.  Docs don't do repeat scripts over the phone anymore.

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
  • Overseaing the building of the death star
« Reply #19 on: 06 July, 2021, 04:14:06 pm »

But, oh no. Just no.

The prescription needs signing be it electronic or pen.  There is a process called repeat dispensing where the prescriptions are electronic but signed in advance and released on set dates.  This is a change to far for some GP's 
We are almost 100% electronic prescriptions (ETP) which makes the process a lot swifter.
The NHS app is good for requesting repeats. no phone call required

If you have repeats the

But you only have a certain amount of repeats....

IJL

« Reply #20 on: 06 July, 2021, 04:29:54 pm »

only needs to be reauthorized annually, (at least on the system we use)

« Reply #21 on: 06 July, 2021, 05:11:46 pm »

It is for people with longer-term conditions - you have to register in some way (don't ask me, I only know about some the IT that enables it).

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #22 on: 06 July, 2021, 05:30:07 pm »

only needs to be reauthorized annually, (at least on the system we use)

With blood tests and other stuff.
It is simpler than it looks.

ian

« Reply #23 on: 06 July, 2021, 06:02:23 pm »
When you get those mothers who drag their kids to the surgery every time they have a sore throat are you ever tempted to diagnose them with a made-up disease, while looking very serious and shaking your head sadly? Or just prescribe them something random?

These are amongst the first two things I'd do if I were a GP.

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #24 on: 06 July, 2021, 06:11:52 pm »

Neither did I, however it reads like it might not be available for the repeat prescription I have.
And I'm happy enough with either ordering through EMIS (Patient Access) or through shoving the bit of paper through the pharmacies letter box.