Author Topic: Using a Garmin (eTrex) with Ubuntu (or other Linuxes)  (Read 3173 times)

Using a Garmin (eTrex) with Ubuntu (or other Linuxes)
« on: 25 July, 2021, 11:28:11 am »
 know that the laptop will see and open the folders on the eTrex and card. I can use Openrunner to create a track got the gps. Can I just click and drag the Openrunner gpx file to the Garmin and, if so, into which folder? It appears to be all in the Garmin, I seem to have just the maps on the card. Is that the usual way?

Given that I can create a file for the Garmin can I go in the reverse direction? Are there other (preferably free but I think I need a paid subscription for Openrunner to do it, if it's possible) route planning sites that will allow me to recover and show a track from the Garmin?

I gather that Garmins and computer interfaces are a bit of a jungle where only the fit survive (and only by using M$) but all help greatly appreciated. I really need to go up a level with my gps use (but not Strava, oh no ,anything but Strava :facepalm: )

Any help greatly appreciated

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
Re: Using a Garmin (eTrex) with Ubuntu (or other Linuxes)
« Reply #1 on: 25 July, 2021, 11:43:56 am »
The eTrex works just fine with Linux, because it doesn't try to do anything clever.

All you have to do is copy GPX files to the "Garmin/GPX/" directory on either the unit or the card, and it should be able to access their contents.  I use the unit for GPXes and leave the card for just the maps.

Tracklogs, Waypoints etc created on the unit will appear in GPX files in "Garmin/GPX/" on the unit.  You can just copy them elsewhere and display/edit them in suitable software (either an online service, or a native application like Viking).

(If you did want to use Strava, I have a convenient bash script to copy tracks from the eTrex, archive a copy on disk, and upload them to Strava in a single operation:  https://github.com/kimble4/strava_upload)

« Reply #2 on: 25 July, 2021, 01:06:26 pm »
Can upload your tracks to Garmin Connect, works fine, it is free.

« Reply #3 on: 25 July, 2021, 08:56:36 pm »

Linux manages unmounting of the internal and card memory well. My Windows 10 laptop gets in a mess with the SD card when asked to Eject Media after transfers using Windows Explorer so I like to use my Raspberry Pi Zero to manage transfers to and from the etrex.

« Reply #4 on: 25 July, 2021, 09:56:50 pm »
Well that about covers it! Thank you very much everyone.
The eTrex works just fine with Linux, because it doesn't try to do anything clever.

All you have to do is copy GPX files to the "Garmin/GPX/" directory on either the unit or the card, and it should be able to access their contents.  I use the unit for GPXes and leave the card for just the maps.

Tracklogs, Waypoints etc created on the unit will appear in GPX files in "Garmin/GPX/" on the unit.  You can just copy them elsewhere and display/edit them in suitable software (either an online service, or a native application like Viking).

(If you did want to use Strava, I have a convenient bash script to copy tracks from the eTrex, archive a copy on disk, and upload them to Strava in a single operation:  https://github.com/kimble4/strava_upload)

Thanks Kim. I now have Viking installed. I notice soemthing about an API needed somewhere in the Ubuntu info on the web (but it may be out of date information). I'll learn about that as I go along. I haven't configured my eTrex in any particular way but I have the maps on the card and the rest on the unit; it must have that as a factory setting! I have Garmin/GPX clearly accessible which is about all I should need I think.

Linux manages unmounting of the internal and card memory well. My Windows 10 laptop gets in a mess with the SD card when asked to Eject Media after transfers using Windows Explorer so I like to use my Raspberry Pi Zero to manage transfers to and from the etrex.

It didn't even occur to me that I might use the Pi. Does it have a suitable piece of software for opening gpx files as well. Might be fun to see them on the tele!

« Reply #5 on: 26 July, 2021, 08:42:11 am »
I run my Pi Zero headless so haven't tried any proper GPS software to display routes and tracks but a search shows options including Viking for Raspbian.

I got the Pi for gpx file transfer over Wifi from iPhone and to try to mangle the dense routes from Viewranger auto mode on iPhone into a dense track and a sparce route to use on the etrex with routing. The Pi will run long enough on 2 AA enelope cells in a very cheap USB power supply to do the job several times without mains power. My bodge scripts are almost  ;) complete but motivation has been dented by the OutdoorsActive take over of Viewranger although Viewranger still works for the moment.

« Reply #6 on: 26 July, 2021, 10:01:48 am »
Well that about covers it! Thank you very much everyone.

Thanks Kim. I now have Viking installed. I notice soemthing about an API needed somewhere in the Ubuntu info on the web (but it may be out of date information). I'll learn about that as I go along. I haven't configured my eTrex in any particular way but I have the maps on the card and the rest on the unit; it must have that as a factory setting! I have Garmin/GPX clearly accessible which is about all I should need I think.

It didn't even occur to me that I might use the Pi. Does it have a suitable piece of software for opening gpx files as well. Might be fun to see them on the tele!

The API belongs to Strava.  You talk to it over the web. So anything that can talk over the web programmatically can talk to it.  Hence Kim’s bash script can do the job.

« Reply #7 on: 23 December, 2021, 08:50:43 pm »
An update on this. I have got nowhere with Viking, it had a problem with not finding the relevant map tiles (if I have correctly understood the errror message. Since Phil, the daughter who works professionally with GIS (I think she said it was that in english, SIG in french) has been with us for a few days holiday, I asked her if she knew of Viking and if she could help sort me out. She had used it a long time ago but when the version I have refused to behave as she was expecting she turned me to a bit of software that she uses regularly, which is QGIS. A bit like using a hammer to crack a nut! The version in the Ubuntu repository is not the latest (3.16 against 3.22 on the QGIS site) but I opted for the easy option of using that. I am sold on it for opening tracks on the Garmin (and editing them when I get a bit better) even though RWGPS will remain my tool for creating  routes. But "un usine à gaz" as we say in french, so much there that I won't ever use and needs regular use to remember where the bits are that I want (I don't have a geek's instinctive feeling for this sort of thing; not even moderately computer literate!)

« Reply #8 on: 30 March, 2022, 04:54:50 pm »
I now have a pc running Linux. Transferring gpx files from the pc to an etrex works fine, exactly as with my old pc which ran Microsoft.
To update the software or maps on the etrex I think I need Garmin Express.
Is it possible to install and use Garmin Express on a Linux computer?
Zijn specialiteit was sprinten om de zesde plaats

« Reply #9 on: 31 March, 2022, 02:05:38 pm »
I now have a pc running Linux. Transferring gpx files from the pc to an etrex works fine, exactly as with my old pc which ran Microsoft.
To update the software or maps on the etrex I think I need Garmin Express.
Is it possible to install and use Garmin Express on a Linux computer?
You should be able to update the firmware manually, if you can find a copy of the firmware file. What model Etrex are you using?

For maps, probably easiest just to find some other OpenStreetMap based maps, and copy them on.
No need for Garmin Express.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #10 on: 31 March, 2022, 02:11:05 pm »
Can recommend https://www.openfietsmap.nl/ for cycling-oriented maps that you can copy straight to the device or SDcard.