Author Topic: Voies vertes near Metz Nancy  (Read 977 times)

meddyg

• 'You'll have had your tea?'
Voies vertes near Metz Nancy
« on: 20 September, 2021, 08:14:10 am »
We are in the Ardennes en route to my cousin in Germany…
Yesterday cycled on the tow path of the Meuse into Charleville Mézières, and today East towards
Belgian border .It was day 1 of Festival des Marrionettes

Tips from French residents or general knowledge yacfers about what to take in between here n Strasbourg as pottering 50 km day rides particularly voies vertes .
I nominated Barr back into Strasbourg for later in the week….thanks

T42

• Apprentice geezer
Re: Voies vertes near Metz Nancy
« Reply #1 on: 20 September, 2021, 09:35:02 am »
This is the route of the Strasbourg-Brest Diagonale we did in 2014: a bit of that might suit.

https://www.openrunner.com/r/3862045

The chunk between Strasbourg & Nancy was the easiest route I could find at the time. The bit south of Nancy is on voies cyclables but from there to around km 70 it's ordinary road, albeit not heavily travelled apart from downtown Sarrebourg, where there's a footbridge to cross.  From km 70 into Strasbourg it's voie cyclable all the way.  I haven't been on the Waltenheim-Strasbourg bit for years, but the rest is in fairly good repair.

I can recommend La Table du Saulnois in Maizière-lès-Vic for lunch, ditto the Hôtel des Vosges in Lutzelbourg, although there is a hamburger kiosk and an excellent pâtisserie as well.

This is the gallery I made of that ride. The early part was fun but after the first day it was probably the most horrible 1000k I've ever done.

https://pbase.com/johnewing/2014_str_brest
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

Re: Voies vertes near Metz Nancy
« Reply #2 on: 23 September, 2021, 07:37:02 pm »
My Atlas des Voies Vertes et Véloroutes shows a great blank between Paris and Strasbourg; a bit of a desert if you like. The only routes go north-south and are the "Echapée Belle" from Luxembourg to Dijon and "Alsace à Vélo" which is a couple of loops between Bale and Strasbourg. The Alsace one seems to have quite a lot of cyclepath and not so much shared road. There may be a lot of regional or local routes but they don't appear in the national atlas. I can't say more it being far from my neck of the woods.

Edit. Just checking the maps and the "Echapée Belle" goes through Nancy. Further south it also goes through Nuits-Saint-Georges and Beaune, just for the wine buffs.