Author Topic: items of yore  (Read 35128 times)

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
Re: items of yore
« Reply #75 on: 06 August, 2021, 02:16:47 pm »
Maps. Have we had them?

I still use an Ordnance Survey hard-back road atlas from time to time - it has the M4 from Maidenhead (where it finished when first opened) to Swansea and the M25 hand-drawn with a blue felt-pen.  It works for me (although my car has 2 satnavs ... one, the built in one, is crap . .  the other one, Garmin, is excellent. Just for fun the other day I set them both running to Home - over about 45 miles they must have disagreed with each other about a dozen times)

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #76 on: 06 August, 2021, 02:26:26 pm »
On the subject of cassette tapes, summer road verges used to glitter with tape.  I assume the tape got chewed up in the Blaupunkt and was flung from the car in disgust.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #77 on: 06 August, 2021, 02:31:12 pm »
I'm sure Blodwyn Pig used to have panniers full of them!
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

TheLurker

• Goes well with magnolia.
« Reply #78 on: 06 August, 2021, 02:40:54 pm »
Quote from: Jaded
Maps. Have we had them?
Still using them for reasons rehearsed elsewhere in the parish.

Quote from: Cudzoziemiec
Twin tub washing machines. Described as "more work than washing by hand".
I had one of those. It was a bloody sight easier than washing by hand.
Τα πιο όμορφα ταξίδια γίνονται με τις δικές μας δυνάμεις - Φίλοι του Ποδήλατου

« Reply #79 on: 06 August, 2021, 02:50:11 pm »
On the subject of cassette tapes, summer road verges used to glitter with tape.  I assume the tape got chewed up in the Blaupunkt and was flung from the car in disgust.

That, or a lot of drivers aren't Queen fans.  :demon:

Quote from: PTerry and Neil Gaiman
Crowley was currently doing 110 mph somewhere east of Slough. Nothing about him looked particularly demonic, at least by classical standards. No horns, no wings. Admittedly he was listening to a Best of Queen tape, but no conclusions should be drawn from this because all tapes left in a car for more than a fortnight metamorphose into Best of Queen albums.

https://www.cinemablend.com/television/2474376/the-story-behind-good-omens-and-all-the-queen-references
"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #80 on: 06 August, 2021, 02:59:24 pm »
Keesings Contemporary Archives.

This was my go-to tome, held in the school library and IIRC updated with weekly bulletins, then monthly ones, of all political events in the world. It was invaluable for a left-of-centre politics student in a grammar school to make himself unpopular with his class mates by being right. It was a bit like POBI used to be before Cameron became PM and it suddenly dawned on everyone else how incredibly shit it was to have an extreme right wing government.  :demon:

I too have used microfiche - to look up ancient Grauniad articles, and, less often, local paper articles to confirm or research something or other.

It seems that Keesings is now inline and that the hard copy version ceased to be in 1988 - some 16 years after I left school. I don't remember if the college library stocked it, but then I didn't tend to get into political disagreements quite so often as teaching students in the north of England tended to be pretty left wing anyway.

A lawn mower with a starting handle, with which I used to cut the lawns at home when I was about 12 and onwards. My father bought it second hand from the Langdon Hills Cricket Club, several of whose members he knew as he taught in Langdon Hills until he retired in 1976. I think the mower dated from the 1920s. Much nicer to use than the modern pull-cord ones.

Bicycles with rod brakes in which the levers were integral parts of the handlebars.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #81 on: 06 August, 2021, 03:06:20 pm »
Printing methods pre poscript and pdf.
It is simpler than it looks.

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #82 on: 06 August, 2021, 03:11:50 pm »
Ah, parallel printer ports and parallel printer cables with silly plugs on the printer end
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

« Reply #83 on: 06 August, 2021, 03:36:28 pm »
Doing my dissertation for an MA qualification in 1980, research at the University Library involved lots of bound volumes of indexes and abstracts for academic journal articles.  And once relevant ones were found, either tracking down the relevant issue of the journal (if in stock in the library) or an inter-library loan reservation to obtain a copy of said article.

Seems cumbersome compared to digital subscriptions and the world wide interweb thingy.  On the other hand the articles were in peer reviewed journals so the content could be relied on as being reasonably accurate, even allowing for inevitable bias / political leanings of the authors.
Sunshine approaching from the South.

First time in 1,000 years.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #84 on: 06 August, 2021, 03:43:14 pm »
Ah, parallel printer ports and parallel printer cables with silly plugs on the printer end

Actually, that funny printed columns of text you got, then stuck onto a piece of paper with blue lines on - that's what "The Student" at Edinburgh used in the late 70's. A man came once a week and typed all the stories in, and a long ribbon of paper came out somewhat typeset.
It is simpler than it looks.

« Reply #85 on: 06 August, 2021, 03:51:47 pm »
That reminds me of my school days.

Essay due on a Friday, so blast it out on a Thursday night, and go to sleep to the happy noise of a dot matrix printer in the loft conversion stamping all all out above my head.     

And then the classic of turning up with the wrong size floppy promising the teacher that all work was completed but they couldn't see it.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #86 on: 06 August, 2021, 04:00:21 pm »
A lawn mower with a starting handle, with which I used to cut the lawns at home when I was about 12 and onwards. My father bought it second hand from the Langdon Hills Cricket Club, several of whose members he knew as he taught in Langdon Hills until he retired in 1976. I think the mower dated from the 1920s. Much nicer to use than the modern pull-cord ones.
Had one that was completely manual, push along. The sort that was invented as "exercise suitable for gentlemen" by Budding. Which was appropriate as we lived in his home town.

Bicycles with rod brakes in which the levers were integral parts of the handlebars.
Had one of those too. I think it was 1950s. It was from an elderly neighbour. After he'd confirmed he really didn't want it back, I took it to pieces to see how it all worked inside. I don't think I ever got around to putting it back together though.

« Reply #87 on: 06 August, 2021, 04:07:54 pm »
Sets of encyclopedias

I loved them.

Wikipedia is good, but doesn't have the same tactile feel.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #88 on: 06 August, 2021, 04:22:59 pm »

Roadkill USB cables are the new unspooled tape.

You still see the occasional CD in the verge, but the last time I came across tape it was flytipped VHS.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #89 on: 06 August, 2021, 04:24:45 pm »

Useful things parallel ports, though I don't miss the unwieldy cables.

I quite liked those Centronix plugs.  Easier to insert blind than D-connectors.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #90 on: 06 August, 2021, 04:32:27 pm »
That reminds me of my school days.

Essay due on a Friday, so blast it out on a Thursday night, and go to sleep to the happy noise of a dot matrix printer in the loft conversion stamping all all out above my head.     

And then the classic of turning up with the wrong size floppy promising the teacher that all work was completed but they couldn't see it.

And teachers who didn't understand that a) printed text was a lot smaller than hand-written  or  b) that typing was easier than handwriting.  Usually they cancelled out, but you'd get the occasional bollocking for not producing enough pages.  One particularly disorganised teacher lost a piece of my work, so I went home and printed another copy.  The original surfaced some months later, with a very different grade.  I attribute the difference to choice of line spacing.

I'm probably off-topic, because it seems unlikely that the teachers of today are much better about this sort of thing.

« Reply #91 on: 06 August, 2021, 04:38:07 pm »
gestetner machines  (that's what we called them, but I've since found out that they were actually 'spirit duplicators')

Every small club used them to produce 'club newsletters'. Stank of the ink, which came off on your hands.

We called them Banda copiers (well, that’s a bit like calling a vacuum cleaner a Hoover, Banda we’re a manufacturer of spirit duplicators). Loved the smell. 
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #92 on: 06 August, 2021, 04:41:43 pm »
Sets of encyclopedias

I loved them.

The tactile aspects of printed materials generally, from encyclopedias to flyers, are something the internet is totally lacking. That includes the smell of paper and ink.

« Reply #93 on: 06 August, 2021, 04:44:45 pm »
Sets of encyclopedias

I loved them.

Ditto dictionaries.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

« Reply #94 on: 06 August, 2021, 04:56:25 pm »
Have we done Letraset?
Sticky, rub on lettering, that was never quite straight, and where the dots of the i was usually missing.
Too many angry people - breathe & relax.

robgul

« Reply #95 on: 06 August, 2021, 04:58:40 pm »
gestetner machines  (that's what we called them, but I've since found out that they were actually 'spirit duplicators')

Every small club used them to produce 'club newsletters'. Stank of the ink, which came off on your hands.

We called them Banda copiers (well, that’s a bit like calling a vacuum cleaner a Hoover, Banda we’re a manufacturer of spirit duplicators). Loved the smell.

Banda = Block and Anderson . . .  became the generic for spirit duplicators in the same way that Gestetner or Roneo was the generic for stencil duplicators - there were other brands - I guess later on to "xerox" something was just the generic for photo-copying

barakta

• Bastard lovechild of Yomiko Readman and Johnny 5
« Reply #96 on: 06 August, 2021, 04:59:47 pm »
I had to herd a Z88 and serial printing via a Plessy printer in my classroom age 7 in 1987... Parity bits and serial baud rate settings... My dad taught me well (and we had a twin of the printer to swap out if needed).

Teachers did not understand that typed work took less space than printed. Some teachers, miffed that they couldn't ban the disabled kid from typing, would claim I hadn't typed enough pages. The first time that happened when I was 11, I cunningly reprinted at double line space cos I had no text size control on the device/printer... The teacher accepted the resubmission even though nothing had changed. I knew the teacher was a fuckwit at that point too.

Another teacher gave me lines as a pointless-punishment... I typed the line once and copypasted it 30x or whatever it was. They were NOT amused, but avoided fuckwit-status by accepting they'd fucked that one up and they were better off quitting while they were ahead :D.

robgul

« Reply #97 on: 06 August, 2021, 05:00:48 pm »
Have we done Letraset?
Sticky, rub on lettering, that was never quite straight, and where the dots of the i was usually missing.

If you're really old you'll know that Letraset started out as tiny water-slide transfers that you positioned on the paper with a little gauze screen thing - very laborious.

« Reply #98 on: 06 August, 2021, 05:04:04 pm »
Had one that was completely manual, push along. The sort that was invented as "exercise suitable for gentlemen" by Budding. Which was appropriate as we lived in his home town.

Yebbut, that's not really an item of yore... I bought a brand-new push mower last summer. So much easier to use than an electric one - I can have both front and back cut in little more than the time it used to take to organise the cable of the 'leccy one.  :thumbsup:
Life is too important to be taken seriously.

ian

« Reply #99 on: 06 August, 2021, 05:13:14 pm »
Sets of encyclopedias

I loved them.

I learned everything I know from the Joy of Knowledge, one of those weekly (or monthly, can't remember) issue-based encyclopedia, which I diligently obtained as a child (I couldn't afford the binders though). It was pretty awesome, I haven't needed to learn anything since.