Author Topic: Pyrenees France/Spain crossing. Q  (Read 1637 times)

Pyrenees France/Spain crossing. Q
« on: 28 September, 2021, 09:27:03 am »
Im off for a few days riding in the Pyrenees next week and the  route plan has the pass between Gavarine and Bujaruelo on the schedule.
Im getting mixed info about the decent over the Spanish border. It comes up as a goat track but is also deemed rideable. komoot has it routed  under cycle touring. Anyone familiar with the pass and have any feedback?
often lost.

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
Re: Pyrenees France/Spain crossing. Q
« Reply #1 on: 28 September, 2021, 10:34:04 am »
If you mean from the Col de Tentes - Port de Boucharo - Bujaruelo... The first part Gavarnie to Col de Tentes, lovely tarmac (very steep). Then from Col de Tentes up to Spanish border Port de Boucharo) is a nice wide track. From Port de Boucharo down into Spain it's a path down into the valley.

We were there in 2008/9 and the last bit before the border (from the French side to the border and back) had many stones laying on the breaking up tarmac. There were landslides that had taken out the road and you had to navigate over and around. The last bit was impossible to ride so we had to push. Looking at google images, I see other people have taken their bikes over on their backs.

Here's some pictures, sadly I didn't get a stamp in my passport, but I flew my kite :)

But if Komoot says it's a route, it's really depends on how much "adventure" you want to add to your tour. Looking at the pictures from back then and the photos on google, we have toured/pushed/dragged on stuff like that in the past.

Current mood: AARRRGGGGHHHHH !!! #bollockstobrexit

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
« Reply #2 on: 28 September, 2021, 10:49:34 am »
oh update from our man on the ground (we know a fella in Barèges) :

"Yes it’s rideable in places & you can get over. They might have to walk in places, but that’s all part of the adventure. I had a Swiss guy stay with us once he did it but made sure he had plenty of time for the descent he told me. The road up the gorge is shut for the next 3 weeks if he’s looking to do it soon. He will have to come up and over via ste Marie de campan and the col de tourmalet."

« Reply #3 on: 28 September, 2021, 12:03:58 pm »
Here is a pic from our first crossing in the mid eighties, not a very good scan.  Over the col again in 1990 dropped down into Ordesa valley and right into a Spanish army training ground for the montana . Were taken to the camp by a guard at an old packhorse bridge and after a talking to were told to go over to the canteen and have cena. Camped with the army and joined them for desayuno before hitting the track out. You don't have experiences like this when you go on organised tours .

« Reply #4 on: 28 September, 2021, 12:15:09 pm »
Another one this is below the scree and the refugio/bothy from 1990 . Don't know if they have tightened up on the mountain biking as its a high profile Nat Park and UNESCO site .  This pic is about bang in the middle of the 1st pic.

« Reply #5 on: 28 September, 2021, 12:18:25 pm »
ahh thanks for this both.
I was routed on the D921 so the road closure is great info. The traffic is all being routed via the Tourmalet as your mate says now WP.
I was really looking for quieter less known passes with minimal traffic so this has likely put the kibosh on it this trip.
Ive booked some accommodation in Barthe Du Neste as a base and had a loose plan to go and nose at the CP2 parcour for TPRno2 that been postponed. That route seemed like a cool way of getting over there, but with the increased traffic I'll look at a couple of other options instead.
cheers.

often lost.

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
« Reply #6 on: 28 September, 2021, 01:11:21 pm »

Peli tell me to tell you thanks for sharing the above picture. She have been up the (second from the left) snow capped lump in the background many a time with her dad over the years. (and many others in that neck of the woods)

« Reply #7 on: 06 October, 2021, 08:38:33 pm »
Update.
Bottled it and based myself for the duration in Barthe Du Neste. Decided to explore the area here in detail rather than dragging all the gear on a multi day.
Highlights are the Pyrenean foothills with picture perfect medieval villages  are eye candy but contain stinging ramps. The dead end climb up to Cap du Long is breathtaking.
often lost.