Author Topic: Chain checkers - discrepancy  (Read 1917 times)

Chain checkers - discrepancy
« on: 02 October, 2021, 05:05:41 pm »
I've had one of these for years

but following someone mentioning here that 11speed chains should be changed at 0.5% (and that checker only has 0.75% and 1.0% checks) and having acquired the first 11spd bike recently, I thought I'd better invest in one of these

Slightly concerned to read the instructions with the latest tool that 10spd chains should be binned at 0.5%. God, how many thousands of miles have we covered between us with slightly overworn chains ?

Anyhow, the old checker isn't showing even 0.75% wear on my bike's chain, yet the new one is showing it at 1.0%.

That's a bit crap.

I'm inclined to believe the original tool is the more accurate as there's no moving parts.
With regard how I'm going to confidently check the 11spd chain for wear I reckon I'll simply knock 0.25% off the reading I get with the new checker.

Does that approach seem sound ?
Rust never sleeps

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
Re: Chain checkers - discrepancy
« Reply #1 on: 02 October, 2021, 05:12:11 pm »
AIUI there are only a few chain checkers on the market that really work: Shimano, Pedro's, and Park's CC-4..  The others measure irrelevant wear and tell you the chain needs replacing when it doesn't.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

« Reply #2 on: 02 October, 2021, 06:36:58 pm »
I've got the same device as hatler although I tend to replace my (11 speed) chains at around 0.75%.
Perhaps that explains why they only last 1500 miles..........

FWIW, a brand new chain usually shows 0.25% wear. I always feel cheated by that.

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
« Reply #3 on: 03 October, 2021, 08:18:30 am »
Chain checkers are an excellent sales aid for bike shops  ;)

When I ran an LBS the customers called it my "stethoscope" - that along with the cassette sprocket checker tool.

« Reply #4 on: 06 October, 2021, 11:21:51 pm »
Right, I've just taken delivery of one of these : -

When I get a moment I'll be able to compare the results from all three and will report back here.

Rust never sleeps

« Reply #5 on: 07 October, 2021, 01:06:55 pm »
If you take an old-fashioned ruler and measure across 12 rivets, zero wear is 12", 0.5% wear is 12.1/16" and 1% wear is 12.1/8" (Make sure that you measure to the same side of the rivets at each end, of course!)

For many years, this was the only check I ever performed, but if it's a bit fiddly you could do it once to calibrate your tool, or else to confirm a reading when it says that you've hit the wear limit.
Life is too important to be taken seriously.

« Reply #6 on: 07 October, 2021, 01:15:11 pm »
I tend to change chains at the end of each year but am most annoyed to find out that my Park measuring tool is innacurate.
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

BFC

• ACME Wheelwright and Bike Fettler
« Reply #7 on: 07 October, 2021, 01:50:03 pm »
If you take an old-fashioned ruler and measure across 12 rivets, zero wear is 12", 0.5% wear is 12.1/16" and 1% wear is 12.1/8" (Make sure that you measure to the same side of the rivets at each end, of course!)

For many years, this was the only check I ever performed, but if it's a bit fiddly you could do it once to calibrate your tool, or else to confirm a reading when it says that you've hit the wear limit.
That method measures the stretch/wear of the chain links. With roller chains the rollers themselves also wear, normally from the inside.

« Reply #8 on: 07 October, 2021, 01:54:30 pm »
That method measures the stretch/wear of the chain links. With roller chains the rollers themselves also wear, normally from the inside.

They do, but the chain wear tools only bear on two of them, so the effect will be insignificant compared to the overall 'stretch'*

*not actually stretch, obviously.
Life is too important to be taken seriously.

« Reply #9 on: 07 October, 2021, 05:15:14 pm »
I think BFC was implying that roller wear contributes to overall stretch (wear) , it doesn't as the sprockets load the chain in the same direction. Most Chain checkers are opposite, but the CC4 park tool, if used correctly loads the reference roller in the same direction as the test roller at the peg. LHS of photo. It's also longer, thus more links are added together in the test.

« Reply #10 on: 07 October, 2021, 05:37:48 pm »
For the Park Tools chain checker you must only apply a very light pressure to the moving pin so that you don't force it between links and give a false reading.  For any chain checker, a new chain needs to be 'run in' for at least 50km to make sure that excess lube in the rollers is removed before measuring.  For the CC2-checker I work on relative change,  i.e. if my chain, after run in, is 0.25%, I don't worry until the chain is a least 0.75% (+0.5% wear).  With my current setup, which I've been riding since Aug 2020, I have a 3/32 chain and a single speed chainline (gears in a can).  After approx 3000km the CC2 chain checker is telling me that I still have less then 0% wear.  OH yes, I'm using hot wax lubrication.
Clever enough to know I'm not clever enough.

« Reply #11 on: 07 October, 2021, 05:45:10 pm »
That info is interesting. I have just brought a CC4. It's 'digital' in that the test pin is stepped at 0.5 and 0.75  rather than a graduated ramp. I think I would have preferred your analogue method.

BFC

• ACME Wheelwright and Bike Fettler
« Reply #12 on: 07 October, 2021, 06:55:57 pm »
I have binned more chains due to knackered rollers than due to worn "core" chain. When the rollers have too much free movement, bin the chain - they are cheaper than good cassettes.

« Reply #13 on: 07 October, 2021, 07:03:47 pm »

Glad I’m not the only one to pull out the metre yard rule. It is a bit awkward due to being long, but I’ve got it already in the corner of the shed. Chain life seems to be proportional to the level of muck on the road and, therefore, correlated with season. Mudguards and winter bike - 11 speed 1,000 miles and possibly a bit. Bike on turbo - still like new

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #14 on: 07 October, 2021, 07:15:49 pm »
Brucey (how's he doing these days?) posted a method on the CTC forum that uses a set of digital calipers and removes roller slop from the equation. I'll see if I can dig it out .

<Tappity tap>
Here it is: https://forum.cyclinguk.org/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=115336
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

« Reply #15 on: 04 January, 2022, 02:22:17 pm »
Generally, my approach to chains is frequently clean (rag), lube, & not 'worry too much about'...  Recently picked up one of these KMC CHain checkers - length ~10cm. 

PXL_KMC-CC by a oxon, on Flickr

One KMC 10s chain of a known 2850km, apparently on 0.6.  Probably change & store chain (for a rainy day) when it gets to ~0.8, which seems to be the KMC 'threshold'. 

Bikes with 7 & 8sp chains have the tool flopping down loosely onto the chain; apparently pretty worn.  8sp chain bike is still riding OK, but chain is probably on ~8000km, so changing that.   I measured 20 interpin distances of the 7sp chain; possibly <0.8 - so not much confidence in ruler being accurate enough.  Rollers seems pretty loose FWIW.  Have 7s chain on shelf, so will do that too.

Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

« Reply #16 on: 04 January, 2022, 02:54:56 pm »
Generally, my approach to chains is frequently clean (rag), lube, & not 'worry too much about'...  Recently picked up one of these KMC CHain checkers - length ~10cm. 

PXL_KMC-CC by a oxon, on Flickr

One KMC 10s chain of a known 2850km, apparently on 0.6.  Probably change & store chain (for a rainy day) when it gets to ~0.8, which seems to be the KMC 'threshold'. 

Bikes with 7 & 8sp chains have the tool flopping down loosely onto the chain; apparently pretty worn.  8sp chain bike is still riding OK, but chain is probably on ~8000km, so changing that.   I measured 20 interpin distances of the 7sp chain; possibly <0.8 - so not much confidence in ruler being accurate enough.  Rollers seems pretty loose FWIW.  Have 7s chain on shelf, so will do that too.

How much trust are you going to bestow upon a chain checker which comes from a chain manufacturer?

ETA - I have a PT  CC 3.2 checker. But generally, a steel rule is my checking tool of choice. This, from someone who managed to get ~12,000 miles from the original chain which came with my VN.
Many, many cleans of that chain had taken place

« Reply #17 on: 04 January, 2022, 03:42:24 pm »
How much trust are you going to bestow upon a chain checker which comes from a chain manufacturer?

ETA - I have a PT  CC 3.2 checker. But generally, a steel rule is my checking tool of choice. This, from someone who managed to get ~12,000 miles from the original chain which came with my VN.
Many, many cleans of that chain had taken place

Good question.  Trust, but verify?  Probably, 10s chains will get to 0.8 and I'll just carry on using them, to 'see what happens'.   A least it's a chain hook too.   ;)

Edit. wondering if you checked the 12K chain with the Park tool...
Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
« Reply #18 on: 04 January, 2022, 07:28:46 pm »
As well as 2 different Park Tool chain checkers I have a SuperB tool that not only checks the chain but also has a cassette wear tool as well

https://www.superbiketool.com/en/product/detail/Chain_tools/TB_3327

I think the same tool is also sold branded Rohloff?

Comparison tests with the Park Tool checkers seem to have all 3 pretty much in agreement on the condition of the chains on 3 of my bikes.

The chain checker is, of course, the LBS stethoscope  ;)  . . . .  "phew, you need a new chain" . . .  kerching!