Author Topic: ACME Christmas Permanents  (Read 6568 times)

Re: ACME Christmas Permanents
« Reply #50 on: 23 December, 2021, 08:08:28 pm »
Only coffee and cake, you will have to work a bit harder than that to put me off!

« Reply #51 on: 23 December, 2021, 08:27:45 pm »
Hoping to join you for Breakfast tomorrow morning in Dunmow.
Sadly I can;t join you for the full ride as I need to be home by midday.
See you at 9ish

Owen
Old Enough to know better, young enough not to care.
Facebook, the toilet wall of the modern generation

GdS

• I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass
« Reply #52 on: 24 December, 2021, 12:28:30 am »
anyone wanting to extend this to 200 (for free) please go to the AUK perm webpage and click the "ECE this event" button  :thumbsup:

just ignore the payment screen

edit; sorry there is no button  :( just email me malinseastg@tiscali.co.uk

Tomsk

• Fueled by cake since 1957
    • tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #53 on: 24 December, 2021, 05:46:03 pm »
A good, sociable ride: mild and sunny, light winds. Good to meet up with Owen at the Paradise cafe - thanks for being official start-line photographer. A brisk pace (for me) but we all stuck together - thanks to Jelly Legs, Leaden Skies, Despeuch and psyclist for their company, and to felstedrider who met up with us on the way back, at Cavendish. We also happened to spot Brian Mann tinkering with his Morris Minor as we passed, so stopped for a little chat.

« Reply #54 on: 24 December, 2021, 08:13:42 pm »
The very same Morris Minor that rescued me on the 100 miles of Suffolk Lanes event. Brian wasn't sure, till we tried, whether you could actually get a bike with mudguards in one. You can if the mudguards are already broken :thumbsup:

That's the 24th route I think? What's the 29th route?

https://ridewithgps.com/routes/38111783

Not sure I'm going to make it all the way to the Compasses for the start, and I certainly haven't booked breakfast. But that route works well because it joins my natural outward route from home at Green Tye. So, if family plans allow it, I'll see how far I can get beyond the M11 before I meet you coming the other way. I'll confirm here when I know either way. I probably won't stop for lunch, sorry, as we're being careful about indoor meetings, and it's only a short run from Codicote back home - our club hilly events run on a popular course that starts just outside the village.

« Reply #55 on: 26 December, 2021, 08:44:27 am »
Morning all - hope the mince pies not sitting too heavy today!

What time is the plan to get to Spoke Cafe on the 29th? I am still hoping to join the ride but might need to go in work to welcome a visitor - if I do, then hoping that I can join for lunch at Spoke and ride across.

« Reply #56 on: 26 December, 2021, 08:59:01 am »
What time is the plan to get to Spoke Cafe on the 29th? I am still hoping to join the ride but might need to go in work to welcome a visitor - if I do, then hoping that I can join for lunch at Spoke and ride across.

Being a Tomsk event, it's a little over 50km to the halfway point. 62km to be precise  ;D. We're leaving Compasses at 10am, so I would suggest just before 1pm would be a good guide.

Eddington: 133 miles    Max square: 43x43

« Reply #57 on: 26 December, 2021, 10:20:20 am »

Being a Tomsk event, it's a little over 50km to the halfway point. 62km to be precise  ;D. We're leaving Compasses at 10am, so I would suggest just before 1pm would be a good guide.

Ah, yes - thank you. Might have a bit additional as I can add on a bit for you to eat your breakfast, which I shall probably miss out on.

« Reply #58 on: 26 December, 2021, 10:27:04 am »
Floods out this way. Suspect you’ll hit them between Dane End and Watton at Stone. Forecast it’s due to keep raining through till Wed. So may be still about. Barwick ford road is likely currently flooded given where I saw floods this past week.  From Watton to Spokes those roads stay flood free.

Tomsk

• tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #59 on: 26 December, 2021, 04:11:34 pm »
The Chelmer here is up a bit today, but well below the top of the riverbank, however Barwick Road is quite low-lying and close to the river ... I'll be taking some spare socks! The approach road to Hadham ford is quite 'interesting' too, when there's been a bit of rain!

« Reply #60 on: 26 December, 2021, 05:16:06 pm »
The Chelmer here is up a bit today, but well below the top of the riverbank, however Barwick Road is quite low-lying and close to the river ... I'll be taking some spare socks! The approach road to Hadham ford is quite 'interesting' too, when there's been a bit of rain!

It’s usually ok if you stick to the left of the lane approaching the Berwick Road ford when that lane has become a river itself, but with current water levels it might require a trip along the footpath that is the other side of the field to the south.

« Reply #61 on: 28 December, 2021, 09:26:49 am »
Looking out the window here this morning, I might bring a snorkel.

« Reply #62 on: 28 December, 2021, 12:30:49 pm »
You might well. More rain yesterday and it’s set in again today. More mud and debris in the lanes.

Tomsk

• tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #63 on: 28 December, 2021, 02:21:17 pm »
You might well. More rain yesterday and it’s set in again today. More mud and debris in the lanes.

Can I be bothered to clean my bike? Maybe a tyre inspection, a bit of chain lube and a check on the tension at least ...

The answer to bad weather is: more cosy pub stops. We've got a minimum of 7 hours for the ride = 5pm, and a later finish at the Compasses wouldn't be an issue. 110+km at 12.5kph is ... a lot of time!

« Reply #64 on: 28 December, 2021, 02:42:58 pm »
As per an earlier suggestion, I’m all set to complete my EPE before the 9am breakfast. Might get a bit of riding completed before the morning rain arrives … but at least it’ll clear up later on.

I’ll be aiming to complete the Hopstock by 19:30, but I wouldn’t have thought we’ll be anywhere near that late, even at a genteel pace.

« Reply #65 on: 28 December, 2021, 04:57:16 pm »
My guest visit has just been cancelled tomorrow - please allow me a bit of moaning tomorrow about the late notice and days of disruption...

Are we meeting at Compasses at 9am and leaving at 10?

Tomsk

• tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #66 on: 28 December, 2021, 05:14:01 pm »
My guest visit has just been cancelled tomorrow - please allow me a bit of moaning tomorrow about the late notice and days of disruption...

Are we meeting at Compasses at 9am and leaving at 10?

:thumbsup: Let the Compasses know if you want breakfast. Others may be joining us at 10:00, so we won't be leaving until then

« Reply #67 on: 28 December, 2021, 05:25:00 pm »
My plan is to leave home in time to get to The Compasses for about 9:45am as long as today’s mudguard fitting modifications hold up. If I am not there by 10am then you can assume a bracket bodging failure.

« Reply #68 on: 28 December, 2021, 08:16:32 pm »
Sorry, I'm out, as I've now got something else happening tomorrow. Hope it's a good ride.

« Reply #69 on: 28 December, 2021, 09:03:12 pm »
Have a good ride tomorrow.
Again I'm Jealous not to be able to join you.

I'm planning on cycling over to The Compasses for around 5 to join you for dinner and a MEMWN's drink.

Owen
Old Enough to know better, young enough not to care.
Facebook, the toilet wall of the modern generation

« Reply #70 on: 28 December, 2021, 09:16:12 pm »
Sorry, I'm out, as I've now got something else happening tomorrow. Hope it's a good ride.

Having your hair done?

« Reply #71 on: 28 December, 2021, 09:19:54 pm »
I will likely ride some of your route in reverse tomorrow.  Probably as far as Much Hadham before I turn north. Subject to any floods found along the way. Last time (Feb this year) I rode through a bit too deep a flood I decided to redo the grease in my wheel hubs.

Anyway hopefully see some of you heading opposite way tomorrow.  I might have the fairy lights lit on the bike if weather dull enough.

« Reply #72 on: 29 December, 2021, 04:02:12 pm »
Passed through Much Hadham just before 10am which clearly was too early for your group to have reached there. Glad the Barwick road wasn’t flooded.