Author Topic: Tube or starter?  (Read 1111 times)

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
Tube or starter?
« on: 28 November, 2021, 08:57:48 pm »
Every time a fluorescent fails I buy the wrong thing.  Starter or tube?
Symptoms. Glowing at either end,  no flickering or attempts to start. 
Tube?
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

Re: Tube or starter?
« Reply #1 on: 28 November, 2021, 10:09:01 pm »
Starters are cheap and mostly standard, so worth having a few spares to test out.

Or replace the tube with an LED instead. Then no starter needed.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #2 on: 28 November, 2021, 11:01:23 pm »

I'm going to guess starter:  If both ends are glowing it suggests the coils are intact, but the starter's not breaking the circuit.

You wanted a spare one anyway, and they're a lot easier to carry home from the shop...

« Reply #3 on: 29 November, 2021, 05:19:16 am »

I'm going to guess starter:  If both ends are glowing it suggests the coils are intact, but the starter's not breaking the circuit.

You wanted a spare one anyway, and they're a lot easier to carry home from the shop...
If you turn the light on, and it glows at both ends, it's almost certainly the starter. Try removing the starter with the light on. If the tube then lights when you remove the starter,  it is definitely the starter at fault.

I've found the electronic starters to be very good. For some reason, they don't seem to be as readily available as they used to be, but here is one source:- https://www.tabelek.co.uk/product-um2-multipulse-electronic-fluorescent-tube-starter.php

Edit:- This the type that I have used:- https://www.johncribb.co.uk/british-general-efs600-pulsestarter.html
Quote from: Kim
Paging Diver300.  Diver300 to the GSM Trimphone, please...

« Reply #4 on: 29 November, 2021, 07:28:40 am »
As said just change to LED replacement tube. Instant on, no flicker. They come with a dummy starter to fill the space.

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
« Reply #5 on: 29 November, 2021, 07:36:45 am »
As said just change to LED replacement tube. Instant on, no flicker. They come with a dummy starter to fill the space.

Better still replace the whole fitting with an LED batten which looks better - not much money at Screwfix and simple to fit.

« Reply #6 on: 29 November, 2021, 09:24:35 am »
These are very neat and  effective, other sizes in 3000+4000K are available
https://cpc.farnell.com/v-tac/666-vt-8-40/grill-fitting-40w-led-120cm-4000k/dp/LA07397?st=v-tac

arabella

• عربللا
  • onwendeð wyrda gesceaft weoruld under heofonum
« Reply #7 on: 29 November, 2021, 12:33:44 pm »

Is this likely to be the reason why I have totally failed to remove the starter from a tube?  (I have done it successfully elsewhere so it's not what I'm doing).
But ... it's a fitting I inherited back when I last moved in 2005.  I don't recall what the other lightbulbs I inherited were, probably incandescent.
Any fool can admire a mountain.  It takes real discernment to appreciate the fens.

« Reply #8 on: 29 November, 2021, 12:46:51 pm »
some newer fluorescent fittings are fitted with an electronic (starter less) ballast

Feanor

• It's mostly downhill from here.
« Reply #9 on: 29 November, 2021, 01:36:58 pm »
I have 3 five-foot flourescent lights here: two in the garage, and one in the utility room.

Some 5 plus years ago, the ones in the garage began to play up and fail to start, particularly in the cold.
New tubes didn't fix them.

So I replaced all the gubbins with electronic control gear.
The electronic modules were simple to wire in: L+N in, then a pair of wires to each end of the tube.
I ripped out all the magnetic ballasts, and starters and scrapped them.
This has worked flawlessly ever since.

I have my doubts that LED drop-in replacement tubes would play well with the electronic control gear.
I suspect they are designed to be drop-in replacements for fittings with traditional magnetic ballast / starters.
But the fittings themselves are now yellowed with age, and look like they did 10 years service on the roof of a linoleum-floored pub from the days when smoking was mandatory.

So now I'm looking at Aidan's cpc link.

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #10 on: 29 November, 2021, 02:33:53 pm »
Thanks all.  It was the starter.
You always have to buy a pack of two, but 8 years later you can never find the other one.
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

« Reply #11 on: 29 November, 2021, 03:38:43 pm »
So now I'm looking at Aidan's cpc link.
CPC have  reasonable prices and low minimum order / post free price break.. about £20 IIRC.
But finding stuff on the web site...  :(

« Reply #12 on: 29 November, 2021, 04:31:41 pm »
I had a problem with a fluorescent tube. I plucked up my courage and went into a trade supplier - City Electric Factors.
Just so helpful and knowledgeable. I didn’t know my starter from my choke. They saved me buying something unnecessary, and I got a free coffee.