Author Topic: En*gma  (Read 18679 times)

Re: En*gma
« Reply #75 on: 28 December, 2021, 12:35:59 pm »
https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0080/6489/3024/files/Enigma-Warranty-Statement-2019.pdf?42268

Warranty is 10 years but there's a get out clause that says it's up to them to honour it or not.

sam

« Reply #76 on: 28 December, 2021, 08:09:10 pm »
That's their current warranty, yes. A good reminder to read these things carefully.

That image, with the light pouring through the crack, reminds me of something from Dr Who.
Also when Agent Smith is seen for the illusion he is at the end of The Matrix.

A perception filter might fix it.

(Our local TARDIS lite has a hotline to the heart, i.e., another defibrillator.)

sam

« Reply #77 on: 31 December, 2021, 02:50:08 pm »

Stop spinning!

I suffer from occasional vertigo.

Morat

• I tried to HTFU but something went ping :(
« Reply #78 on: 31 December, 2021, 03:09:03 pm »
From what I’ve heard, standard practice amongst the big bike brands is to supply a roughly equivalent current frame regardless of whether any of your old bits will fit. Labour is also your problem. This matches the wording of the warranty.

Chances are these days the replacement frame will be disc brake and the old one won’t.

I was once bored beyond normal limits by a rider who happened to be riding a Kona Jake the Snake like mine. Apparently he was on his second replacement frame because "they're shit" and keep breaking on landing. This was was on a long hill and he was thinner than me so I couldn't escape until we finally started to descend. Had I the breath I'd have pointed out that my frame was fine with a much larger load and it says in the manual that 'cross bikes aren't meant for jumping.
Sorry for the Aluminium interlude...
Everyone's favourite windbreak

sam

« Reply #79 on: 01 January, 2022, 05:27:33 pm »
The two major historical presences where I live are Kipling, whom we've touched base with, and "Mad" Jack Fuller. A short introduction before the frame goes on a tour of his follies, from back when I could ride on it:

sam

« Reply #80 on: 02 January, 2022, 02:46:51 pm »

We'll start with the 65' obelisk, aka The Needle. It's on private land, so this is as close as I could get.

(Click here if your heart can take the thrill of a closer encounter)

Commemoration of victories by Nelson and/or Wellington? Priapic trophy celebrating a more personal conquest? There's no inscription or record, so nobody knows for sure.

sam

« Reply #81 on: 03 January, 2022, 06:37:36 am »
Proceeding clockwise we come to the wall, and indeed it may feel like you're hitting it after a day winching yourself up the hills the Weald has to offer. This isn't a folly, but I've included it because at 4 miles it's by far the largest of the works the squire wrought upon the landscape. Don't know how much of it is left. This bit is certainly crumbly.

It's said to have cost £10,000, which back in the early 19th century would've bought you... well, 4 miles of wall.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #82 on: 03 January, 2022, 08:41:02 am »
It's good to have a hobby.
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

sam

« Reply #83 on: 03 January, 2022, 08:51:30 am »
Mine is cheaper than building follies. I also enjoy long walks, but the bloody thing turns up everywhere.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #84 on: 03 January, 2022, 11:46:48 am »
... but the bloody thing turns up everywhere.

Yes ... it certainly does!
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

sam

« Reply #85 on: 04 January, 2022, 08:51:13 am »

Word is that Jack is "sitting inside at a table, roast chicken in front of him, a bottle of vintage claret to his right hand."

sam

« Reply #86 on: 07 January, 2022, 09:45:46 am »

Zed43

• prefers UK hills over Dutch mountains
« Reply #87 on: 07 January, 2022, 06:51:25 pm »
You forgot to photoshop an Enigma frame at the bottom  ;D

sam

« Reply #88 on: 07 January, 2022, 09:06:20 pm »
The pictures in my intended reply look better with a light background, so this is filler.

sam

« Reply #89 on: 07 January, 2022, 09:06:31 pm »
Went to an airshow and saw this, which wowed us.

They also had an ace.

Make of that what you will. And this:

Leaving the frame aside (though some of the aeroplanes may have titanium in them), it was a great show. They had folders,

an educational demonstration on how not to pass your flying test,

and these guys, who need no introduction.

sam

« Reply #90 on: 07 January, 2022, 09:27:16 pm »
Back to the follies. Let's head to that stand of trees,

where a tower grows.

You used to be able to climb it, but health & safety put paid to that a while ago.

It's rumoured Jack had it built to keep an eye

on repairs on his Bodiam Castle bachelor pad, about 7 miles east as the duck flies.

Basically the man had no shortage of towers.

TimC

• Old blerk sometimes onabike.
« Reply #91 on: 08 January, 2022, 09:42:36 am »
Is this intended to be a one-poster viral phenomenon? I've yet to see it trend on Twitter or FB.

« Reply #92 on: 08 January, 2022, 10:52:17 am »
This is an interesting clause in the Bike warrantly info...

All our framesets should be periodically checked by us or one of our authorised dealers for indications of potential failures including cracks, corrosion, dents, deformation, paint peeling
and any other indications of potential problems, inappropriate use or abuse. These are important safety checks and very important to help prevent accidents, bodily injury to the rider and shortened useful product life cycle of a frameset
Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

sam

« Reply #93 on: 08 January, 2022, 10:55:42 am »
I thought that was interesting too. Although we live close enough it wouldn't have been too inconvenient, it never occurred to me to present my bike for periodic inspection.

Is this intended to be a one-poster viral phenomenon? I've yet to see it trend on Twitter or FB.

It did its trending earlier last year, on multiple fora (and my stealth blog). I do a little Twitter, less Facebook, and practically nil Insta. Planning far enough ahead to amass a large base of followers would definitely have helped.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #94 on: 08 January, 2022, 11:25:40 am »

All our framesets should be periodically checked by us or one of our authorised dealers for indications of potential failures including cracks, corrosion, dents, deformation, paint peeling
and any other indications of potential problems, inappropriate use or abuse. These are important safety checks and very important to help prevent accidents, bodily injury to the rider and shortened useful product life cycle of a frameset
Shows real confidence in the material and build quality.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

« Reply #95 on: 08 January, 2022, 11:46:37 am »

Shows real confidence in the material and build quality.

More likely just their get out clause. "Sorry, your warranty claim is void cos you didn't get the frame checked periodically"  They don't say what the period is though.

sam

« Reply #96 on: 10 January, 2022, 08:27:03 am »

Sorry, you can't get a pint here anymore. I do wonder how often the owners have had a knock at the door.

Down the road there's a spittoon of what once upon a time I took to be llama.

"It's only polite to refocus."

sam

« Reply #97 on: 15 January, 2022, 07:45:28 am »
It is a truth universally acknowledged, that a single man in possession of a good fortune, must be in want of a rotunda.

A couple of people have sicced drones on it. If you'd like to to swoop around and around and around and around, this video is for you:

Jack probably used it for parties and such.

Enlargements available. As is Tony's robe.

Almost forgot this.

« Reply #98 on: 16 January, 2022, 03:18:34 pm »
That penultimate picture looks like may've been photoshopped.

sam

« Reply #99 on: 16 January, 2022, 08:06:12 pm »
I can at least authenticate that photo of Jack. A group of us met him on a London to Hastings ride in 2015.