Author Topic: Android on network help please  (Read 652 times)

Android on network help please
« on: 20 December, 2021, 03:19:58 pm »
Further to my thread on OTG cables I have another question.  This involves using a Android phone to monitor a 3D printer using Octoprint 4a via a USB cable.  Quote; Use your phone as an octoprint host!  https://github.com/feelfreelinux/octo4a

Part of the set up says:
Navigate to the IP address shown at the top in your browser to access and set-up OctoPrint.

I assume this means that one enters the IP address (192.168.1.110.5000) into a PC browser and somehow the phone is connected through the wifi network to the PC.

Needless to say this does not work.  Can anyone offer any help?

Thanks

Grumble
Why is that these type of things are often if not always severly lacking in information any kind of guides and seems to assume that that everyone else has the in depth knowledge as the creators. Grumble over.

Re: Android on network help please
« Reply #1 on: 20 December, 2021, 03:32:52 pm »
It seems the address should be 192.168.1.110:5000 assuming the IP is 192.168.1.110 and the app is accessible on port 5000 rather than 192.168.1.110.5000

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #2 on: 20 December, 2021, 03:48:00 pm »
Quite.  192.168.1.110.5000 isn't a valid IP address.  And since the app claims to not need root access, it won't be listening on the standard port (80 or 443), so it seems reasonable to assume that that's what the 5000 is.  By URL convention, ports follow hostnames or IP addresses with a colon delimiter.

Presumably this just means "point a browser at port 5000 on the phone, which will be acting as a web server", in which case the other potential gotcahs include:

- Browsers trying to be clever and needing Persuasion to actually attempt to use http to an IP address rather than googling for things.  You may have to enter http://192.168.1.110:5000/ in full.  Which is a complete pain on mobile devices.

- Devil's Radio issues:  It's increasingly common for consumer routers to isolate WiFi clients from each other, so they can't make direct peer-to-peer connections within the same TCP/IP subnet.  This is frequently unhelpful.  If they're not in the same subnet, you either know what you're doing and can configure the routing / firewalling appropriately, or you've bought one of those extender things and plugged it in and have until now remained blissfully unaware that you now have multiple layers of NAT to contend with, in which case, go to the other room, it'll be less painful.

- Confusion over what the phone's IP address actually is.

Why is that these type of things are often if not always severly lacking in information any kind of guides and seems to assume that that everyone else has the in depth knowledge as the creators. Grumble over.

Because the correct format of a URL for the purposes of spotting typos isn't 'in depth knowledge' to the sort of person writing the app, in much the same way that the difference between a Presta valve and a Schrader valve isn't 'in depth knowledge' to the sort of person who posts on YACF.  They assume that anyone interested in mucking about with 3D printers probably already knows how to use the internet.

Spotting when you're making those sorts of assumptions takes skill, and it's only tangentially related to the skills that you need to write computer programs.

« Reply #3 on: 20 December, 2021, 04:03:40 pm »
If I manage to get the firmware on my 3D printer up & running this afternoon, I'll see if I can install Octoprint on an old phone & see where it leads me

« Reply #4 on: 20 December, 2021, 04:07:30 pm »
This is as they say, my bad.  The screen on the phone is rather small and the typeface quite fine so I missed that it was a colon.  I do need to brave an opticians but for some strange reason I keep putting off.

Yeah, I should have known the correct format but....

Anyway it took a while to load but it works!

Thanks.

« Reply #5 on: 20 December, 2021, 04:09:53 pm »
It installed very easily on a old cheap Motorola but wouldn't on a newer better one.  Haven't actually connected to the printer yet, I might need a better OTG cable.