Author Topic: King Alfred's Way - GPX route starting at Reading  (Read 4281 times)

gibbo

• Riding for fun, cake and beer.
    • Boxford Bike Club
King Alfred's Way - GPX route starting at Reading
« on: 22 December, 2021, 02:53:40 pm »
Hi - before I start and take some time to do this does anyone have a GPX route starting/ finishing at Reading that they'd be happy to share?

TIA.
Gibbo.

SoreTween

• Most of me survived the Pennine Bridleway.
Re: King Alfred's Way - GPX route starting at Reading
« Reply #1 on: 26 December, 2021, 08:34:28 am »
https://cycle.travel/route/king_alfreds_way

Click on map & you can flip it clockwise/anti as preferred & download the gpx from there.  If you click the mountain icon so that the route profile is visible before download the altitude data is included in the gpx.
Not my making, it's one of the many major routes guides on cycle.travel
2023 targets: Survive. Maybe.
There is only one infinite resource in this universe; human stupidity.

gibbo

• Boxford Bike Club
« Reply #2 on: 26 December, 2021, 09:14:24 am »
https://cycle.travel/route/king_alfreds_way

Click on map & you can flip it clockwise/anti as preferred & download the gpx from there.  If you click the mountain icon so that the route profile is visible before download the altitude data is included in the gpx.
Not my making, it's one of the many major routes guides on cycle.travel
Perfect, many thanks.

SoreTween

« Reply #3 on: 31 December, 2021, 11:29:24 pm »
As I'm hoping to do the KAW in 2022 I got a copy of the CTC1 guide book.  It's not possible to definitively say what the route is as there are alternatives for many sections of it2 and none of it is waymarked on the ground.  Since you can't say what is 'the route' nor can you say what isn't.
However... (you knew that was coming)
The c.t route I linked, for example, takes the main route through Amesbury, presumably to take in a cafe there of global significance rather than passing a bunch of rocks just west despite the latter being a poster child for the route.  It is also off both main and alternate route in places.  Not significantly, but off.

Anyway, here's another gpx that is my making:
https://cycle.travel/map/journey/278551

That follows the KAW as shown in the book using the alternates sometimes and others not.  If such things get under your skin then maybe this is a better gpx to download.  But do it soon, I'll be bollocking around with it to get 3 agreeable overnights reasonably distributed so it won't stay 'right', if I dare claim that, for long.  Easiest way is to register for c.t, delete my overnight halts (to make a change) and then save it as your own route.

Really though, you could follow the guide on cycle.travel and you've done it.  Anyone who claims otherwise coz you missed a rock, mound or muddy field is talking arse.

1Yeah, I know.
2Some for weather/mud reasons, others for time rich sight seeing / time poor gotta press on reasons.

« Reply #4 on: 06 January, 2022, 09:53:33 am »
I rode some of KAW last year, sort of following the UK Cycling guide book.

Be aware that some of the route around Salisbury and towards Avebury is over MOD land and can be closed at times, especially in the week.

Myself and some others got caught out by this. A road closure due to live firing near Tileshead meant we had to re-route via Shrewton (but still using good off road trails).

So I would agree there is no definitive route, various options in the guide book, plus also sometimes a detour to a town/village is handy to for food/drink/etc.

gibbo

• Boxford Bike Club
« Reply #5 on: 06 January, 2022, 11:23:56 am »
I rode some of KAW last year, sort of following the UK Cycling guide book.

Be aware that some of the route around Salisbury and towards Avebury is over MOD land and can be closed at times, especially in the week.

Myself and some others got caught out by this. A road closure due to live firing near Tileshead meant we had to re-route via Shrewton (but still using good off road trails).

So I would agree there is no definitive route, various options in the guide book, plus also sometimes a detour to a town/village is handy to for food/drink/etc.

Good to know, thanks.

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #6 on: 31 January, 2022, 03:14:39 pm »
good thread, I'm thinking of this as one of my possible options this year, or a trip over to Belgium/Netherlands
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

« Reply #7 on: 23 June, 2022, 01:23:54 pm »
As I'm hoping to do the KAW in 2022 I got a copy of the CTC1 guide book.  It's not possible to definitively say what the route is as there are alternatives for many sections of it2 and none of it is waymarked on the ground.  Since you can't say what is 'the route' nor can you say what isn't.
The c.t route I linked, for example, takes the main route through Amesbury, presumably to take in a cafe there of global significance rather than passing a bunch of rocks just west despite the latter being a poster child for the route.  It is also off both main and alternate route in places.  Not significantly, but off.

That follows the KAW as shown in the book using the alternates sometimes and others not.  If such things get under your skin then maybe this is a better gpx to download.  But do it soon, I'll be bollocking around with it to get 3 agreeable overnights reasonably distributed so it won't stay 'right', if I dare claim that, for long.  Easiest way is to register for c.t, delete my overnight halts (to make a change) and then save it as your own route.

Really though, you could follow the guide on cycle.travel and you've done it.  Anyone who claims otherwise coz you missed a rock, mound or muddy field is talking arse.

1Yeah, I know.
2Some for weather/mud reasons, others for time rich sight seeing / time poor gotta press on reasons.
Have you ridden it yet?
I was wondering if the section past Stonehenge at about 55 on your link is rideable/public right of way?

Sent from my SM-A528B using Tapatalk

LFCC

« Reply #8 on: 23 June, 2022, 08:01:05 pm »

1Yeah, I know.
Have you ridden it yet?
I was wondering if the section past Stonehenge at about 55 on your link is rideable/public right of way?

Sent from my SM-A528B using Tapatalk
Sorted. It is a Byway so I'm assuming cycleable

Sent from my SM-T830 using Tapatalk

LFCC

SoreTween

« Reply #9 on: 26 June, 2022, 08:43:13 am »
Got home from it Friday.
Past Stonehenge is fine, it is a fine byway. It even took a lot less time than expected to cross the 303, only about a minute.
Just south of the 303 there is a short east-west section linking two byways. That is a permissive footpath so currently you should[1] dismount & walk.  Each end of the permissive path where it joins the byways is a kissing gate. We got our fully loaded gravel bikes through by standing them on the back wheel & lifting them off the ground slightly to move the front wheel above the end of the V. Not easy, particularly at the West end.

[ETA] The kissing gates are at 42 & 43 on this:
https://cycle.travel/map/journey/329096

[1]I'd forgotten that bit from the guide, we rode it - oops. If there were signs we missed them probably due to being focussed on negotiating the kissing gates.

« Reply #10 on: 26 June, 2022, 12:10:09 pm »
Got home from it Friday.
Past Stonehenge is fine, it is a fine byway. It even took a lot less time than expected to cross the 303, only about a minute.
Just south of the 303 there is a short east-west section linking two byways. That is a permissive footpath so currently you should[1] dismount & walk.  Each end of the permissive path where it joins the byways is a kissing gate. We got our fully loaded gravel bikes through by standing them on the back wheel & lifting them off the ground slightly to move the front wheel above the end of the V. Not easy, particularly at the West end.

[ETA] The kissing gates are at 42 & 43 on this:
https://cycle.travel/map/journey/329096

[1]I'd forgotten that bit from the guide, we rode it - oops. If there were signs we missed them probably due to being focussed on negotiating the kissing gates.
Thanks for the info.
Did you have any bother with the MoD ranges?

LFCC

SoreTween

« Reply #11 on: 26 June, 2022, 04:17:08 pm »
None at all.  On Monday there were bang bang boys exercising on Hankley Common near Farnham.  We looked at them, they looked at us and we each got on with our own.  On Wednesday as we went round the perimeter of Westdown & Larkhill ranges there was a lot of artificial smoke rising from the middle of the range.  We passed a couple of parked up landies just minding their perimeter and 100m from one there was a caravan just outside the perimeter path with the couple having lunch so they don't seem overly fussed.  Not a word nor a look from anyone as we passed through Larkhill Camp.

Which way round are you going?

« Reply #12 on: 26 June, 2022, 05:01:46 pm »
None at all.  On Monday there were bang bang boys exercising on Hankley Common near Farnham.  We looked at them, they looked at us and we each got on with our own.  On Wednesday as we went round the perimeter of Westdown & Larkhill ranges there was a lot of artificial smoke rising from the middle of the range.  We passed a couple of parked up landies just minding their perimeter and 100m from one there was a caravan just outside the perimeter path with the couple having lunch so they don't seem overly fussed.  Not a word nor a look from anyone as we passed through Larkhill Camp.

Which way round are you going?
Clockwise. Ranges at Larkhall and Westdown are in use when I pass through so I have plotted an alternative road route if needed.

LFCC

SoreTween

« Reply #13 on: 26 June, 2022, 07:00:33 pm »
Clockwise. Ranges at Larkhall and Westdown are in use when I pass through so I have plotted an alternative road route if needed.
They very much were in use when we came through, you'll be fine.  All the byways & routes across the ranges are signposted making it clear access is subject to restrictions.  The perimeter path is signposted differently, without the restriction - they can't close it willy nilly.

We did it anticlockwise.

ElyDave

« Reply #14 on: 27 June, 2022, 07:16:42 am »
Interested in ground conditions, tyre choices?

I'm planning it in late August, but due to user error :facepalm: ended up with 40mm gravel tyres rather than the 47mm i had in mind. Frame arriving next week, so I have time for testing on the byways of East cambs

SoreTween

« Reply #15 on: 28 June, 2022, 08:22:28 am »
What surface type will you encounter? All of them! Hard pack chalk (slippery when wet), loose chalk & flint in varying sizes up to half brick, other gravel types, earth floored pine forest, grass, mud byways with vast ruts that clearly get very soft in winter but should be as concrete hard in Aug as they were for us. Rutted tracks over mown grass (easy to stay in or out of the ruts), narrow rutted tracks over unmown grass (some of the most technically challenging parts).
Only one surface type presented any obstacle to us, the sand in the eastern region. We both got our lines wrong occasionally, it is soft enough that rims disappear below the surface instantly. Me far more often than Mr Bond. Once sand trapped I dismounted & waded out.
On the whole I'm glad we went anticlockwise as there was marginally more downhill than up on the sand stretch. If very wet it would be worse, there's probably a sweet spot of dampness that would hold the sand together & be easier to pass. Just before the sand (for us) our descent from the devil's punchbowl was one we were glad to not be going up. 90%-95% of the route there's nowt in it for choice of direction.
I used G-One, Mr Bond had something with bigger knobbles round the shoulder (mtb like) with a continuous centre line. Neither have an advantage over the other. Both around the 40mm size.

I'll post about supply stops of note when I'm on a proper keyboard.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #16 on: 28 June, 2022, 08:34:21 pm »
I notice that the CTC web page about this speaks glibly of convenient camp sites. I just ha a quick look round the route on the OS app on my ipad, and I think I found one within reasonably easy access of the route.

I must say I don't like the sound of kissing gates blocking the route given that my e-bike weighs considerably in excess of 25kg.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #17 on: 29 June, 2022, 10:02:44 am »
Re:- 'no definitive route'

If you're not starting/finishing/overnighting in Reading, I see little point spending an age wiggling through the town centre NCN's.

There's a nice run from Pangbourne to Three Mile Cross (mix of quite roads and gravel via Sulham/Theale/Burghfield) that bypasses Reading almost completely to the SW. It was what I have planned to do when i tried it* but it does mean you miss a quite nice bit through Mapledurham.

*didn't even make it that far as it happened - a months worth of rain fell in the days preceding my 2 day attempt. Wantage to Pangbourne took about 3hrs due to mud clogging and punctures, so we bailed and had a nice day-ride instead. Sort of gone off the idea now.

SoreTween

« Reply #18 on: 30 June, 2022, 11:18:38 am »
Food & supplies stops of note:

Not in any way exhaustive.  Some we used, some we didn't. Some we knew about in advance & others we just happened upon.

Harting stores & post office: ~1000m off route.

The Deers Hut (pub): On route. Free house :-)

BP / M&S food: On route.  A petrol station stop is obligatory on any decent ride, this was our first.  I'm sure there are better options nearby!

Crondall stores & post office: Well off route.  We'd stayed at the Plume of Feathers & used the PO to send home some toxic waste[1] in post bags I'd pre-written.

The Wellington Farm Shop & Cafe: ~400m off route.  Very handy one Mr Bond knew of from an earlier adventure.

The Village Cafe, Goring on Thames: On route.  Nice.  There's a Tesco Express by the railway station, also on route.

The Court Hill Centre cafe: ~400m off route.  Another Mr Bond knew of but we were outside hours when we passed.

Ridge Way water fountain: On route.  Decommissioned we are told by a walker.  Certainly not working when we passed

Spar@Esso and Three Trees Cafe: 2.8km off route.  I recalled the Esso from an Audax, we didn't feel the need on this passing.  We might have diverted if I'd remembered about the cafe.

Avebury: On route.  The National Trust cafe was closed (despite being in hours) when we were there but worth visiting anyway as it has a water tap accessible all hours.  The community shop is well stocked.

All Cannings community shop: ~200m off route.  Note the 2 hour lunch closure, guess when we passed.

PH on (old) OS maps at Churton: On route. Don't plan on this one, it's now a small group of houses.

Londis (Murco) at Tilshead: ~440m off route.  Also know of from Pat's Drove Roads Audax.

PH on OS maps at Great Durnford: 100m off route.  Don't rely on this one either.  Now a building site.

Truffles @ Winterslow Village Hall: ~150m off route.  Tea & cakes only in a village hall served by volunteers. Proceeds to charity.

Handlebar cafe: On route.  We wished we'd known about this having already stopped somewhere forgettable in the centre of Winchester.

Burger van @ Meon Springs: On route.  We got a coffee & other supplies here at around 18:45 on a Thursday.  At a guess they stay open for the evening dog emptier trade.

[1]Stinking clothes.

ElyDave

« Reply #19 on: 22 August, 2022, 06:38:42 pm »
Started today from Winchester to Market Lavenham

First day fully loaded on the Faran, which coped admirably, though I would not want to be riding that section with anything less than the 40mm tyres I had. Mostly good apart from losing traction on one chalky, gravelly climb, opting to walk about 300yds rather than try recounting. Weather good apart from the last 10km, even that not a lot more than a drizzle tbh.

The stats, 85km, 1150m climbing, average 17.6kmh, max56.0, ahr 133, max 168.

I would have liked to be a bit quicker, but there were some very tricky sections of single-track descent and deep ruts.

Coffee stop

https://imgur.com/a/AHJfIpD

SoreTween

« Reply #20 on: 26 August, 2022, 08:50:53 am »
I notice that the CTC web page about this speaks glibly of convenient camp sites. I just ha a quick look round the route on the OS app on my ipad, and I think I found one within reasonably easy access of the route.
Maps and iThings go together like a fish and a bicycle.  Pitchup.com has more but yeah, there's not loads.  Orcheston & Salisbury CCC are on route & we saw others we were unaware of, I should have made notes.  Before we started we used the CCC at Graffham which was great of course but gave us a half a day extra along the downs before we picked up the route at South Harting.  The site we should have used we did not find until on our way round, we used it for the last night.  That site is probably the nicest camp site I've stayed at in the 40 years I've been camping and old enough to be paying attention even before you consider the on site entertainment.  Upper Parsonage Farm is small but utterly brilliant.  There's only a few well prepared and equipped pitches (10?) but each one has it's own loo & shower in the block.  No wondering what state you're going to find it in each trip, it'll be how you left it.

Now, entertainment.  You might be having nightmares along the Honey Street lines, this is the other end of that scale. They have wols, barn wols in a nesting box visible from the site :D  What an evening watching the parents come & go  ;D

Owl box on the big oak right in the middle of the shot.  And here's a food delivery arriving:

I must say I don't like the sound of kissing gates blocking the route given that my e-bike weighs considerably in excess of 25kg.
I should have been clearer, the part with the kissing gates is not part of the route.  It's a permissive path not permitted to cycles obvs, we made a mistake.  CUK are trying to get it upgraded because the alternative, the 'official' route just there, so much as there is one, is 400m walk along the side of the A303.  Legally you should start walking the A303 verge here and leave it here.  Even that is an alternative, the first choice route in the guide goes though Amesbury and to see the rocks you have to take a 1.4km each way diversion from Larkhill.  So the kissing gates are on the 3rd choice route.

gibbo

• Boxford Bike Club
« Reply #21 on: 26 August, 2022, 10:54:23 am »
^^^
Good info but I can't see your pics  :(

Wycombewheeler

• PBP-2019 LEL-2022
« Reply #22 on: 26 August, 2022, 11:30:49 am »

I would have liked to be a bit quicker, but there were some very tricky sections of single-track descent and deep ruts.

I found this to be the case on most downhill sections between the south downs way and Avebury, making progress on this section very slow going. Almost every downhill was either technical and steep, or narrow with overgrowing brambles and nettles on either side or in long grass, very few allowed for good progress. Such that Winchester to Streatley took me nearly 14 hours, while Reading to Winchester took me less than 12, and the slowest section of that was after Butser hill.

Eddington  127miles, 170km

SoreTween

« Reply #23 on: 26 August, 2022, 12:09:24 pm »
^^^
Good info but I can't see your pics  :(
Right click & view any one in a new window & they should all then turn up inline.  Something wierd about the hosting I use.  I have the same issue with some other posters pictures, Kim explained the why's & wherefore's of it once.

ElyDave

« Reply #24 on: 04 September, 2022, 08:58:07 am »
A few piccies below, and on cafe's
1) I found that the cafe at AVebury is closed on a Tuesday, the village shop has a coffee machine and a convenient wall opposite to perch on
2) despite the guide book, there is NO cafe at Mapeldurham village, though the Eagle eyed amongts you may notice the movie connection
3) The NT cafe at Hindhead does an excellent cheese scone
4) The Green Dragon at Market Lavenham and the Greyhound in Letcombe REgis are both great pub/inns and good value in my view as overnight stops
5) not a lot of dining options in Hook, you may be better pressing on a bit to Farnham, whihc is only a flattish 10km or so up the road

Day 1 coffee pause

It's a sign

an old relic, a bike, and a big stone

surprisingly close to the A34

The end is in sight