Author Topic: Share your plans for 2022  (Read 7515 times)

Karla

• car(e) free
    • Lost Byway - around the world by bike
Re: Share your plans for 2022
« Reply #75 on: 07 January, 2022, 10:11:01 pm »
You can't cross from Russia to Georgia via Abkhazia as the Georgians will arrest you (or just fine you if you're lucky but I'm not sure) and you can't cross from South Ossetia as they don't even have a border crossing so they'll definitely arrest you, but you can cross directly from vanilla Russia to vanilla Georgia at Kazbegi, here.

SoreTween

• Most of me survived the Pennine Bridleway.
« Reply #76 on: 07 January, 2022, 10:14:38 pm »
Also right now Kazakhstan is full of Russian soldiers “liquidating terrorists” at the behest of the government.  Best avoided for the moment.
During normal times it is well worth avoiding due to be being
a) flat
b) featureless
c) without scenic merit
d) flat and featureless
e) really, absolutely none
f) windy (Oh come on, of course it's a headwind no matter your vector{victor} for the day)
g) astonishingly featureless
TBF there are some parts over the eastern side I understand are quite scenic & interesting.  Thing is, Kaz is an unfathomly large country.  Imagine riding from Lisbon to Nuremburg to see the magnificence of the South Downs.  Not that the South Downs are uninteresting, but compared to that distance (2800+km) they are a zit on he PFY's chin.  Not a yellow headed pimple you can obtain great satisfaction from splatting onto the mirror.  Instead one of those stubborn and annoying red lumps you just have to leave alone.

If you go there don't go direct across the middle, you'll die of boredom.  Skirt the northern, NE and Eastern border.  FFS don't go near the eastern shores of the Caspian, only splatty deth under the wheels of an 'independant' HGV driver awaits there.

I haven't had to bribe my way out.  Yet.
2023 targets: Survive. Maybe.
There is only one infinite resource in this universe; human stupidity.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #77 on: 08 January, 2022, 12:50:37 am »
My experience of Kazakhstan is limited to a virtual representation thereof, but it is indeed featureless, flat, featureless, flat, without scenic merit, dead dull and has roads that shake your virtual truck to bits.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #78 on: 08 January, 2022, 08:11:24 am »
You can't cross from Russia to Georgia via Abkhazia as the Georgians will arrest you (or just fine you if you're lucky but I'm not sure) and you can't cross from South Ossetia as they don't even have a border crossing so they'll definitely arrest you, but you can cross directly from vanilla Russia to vanilla Georgia at Kazbegi, here.

I was amused by the duff link in your post throwing up the following response from my browser
about:blank#blocked

I assume you mean the Russian Military Road (that's how it's named on my maps), my experience isn't recent but when I travelled there (12?) years ago, not cycling, the tension was palpable. One imagines the situation may well have changed, but then again, maybe not. Ossetia (N&S) seemed to be the hot spot. On the other hand, it was clear in Shatili (in Tusheti) that the Chechen border was porous at a local level, going that way would add hugely to the scenic value but likely be high risk. While I was there, the village was in mourning for a mini-bus load of revellers that had been coming back from the Chechen side, blind drunk, and fallen off the mountain side.

(Chechnya in the background)

TimC

• Old blerk sometimes onabike.
« Reply #79 on: 08 January, 2022, 09:45:30 am »
I'm pretty sure I had to bribe my way out of Kazakhistan once. One of the Stans anyway. Cheeky bugger wanted $125 for an exit visa. I think I gave him $75 and a bonus scowl in the end. The worst thing about these things was the creative expensing (as, of course, you can't expense bribes, so like prostitutes and coke, I probably put it under 'hotel services - other').

I have had jobs - or at least tasks within jobs - in which bribery of uncooperative low-level functionaries was allowable and documented. On the grounds that actually shooting them was discouraged.

« Reply #80 on: 08 January, 2022, 10:30:14 am »
Go camping.

Go camping.

Oh, and go camping.

So, I have had time to think about this more.  In between camping trips I would like to fit in, in no particular order ...

- complete the internal and underfloor insulation in the dining room,
- commission the downstairs cloaks,
- find a regular pilot for my tandem,
- run a marathon, and
- visit elderly aunt (and godmother) who because of covid I haven't seen in person for two years now.

There are plenty more jobs in and about the house to be done but no point in getting overly optimistic. 

nicknack

• Hornblower
« Reply #81 on: 08 January, 2022, 10:37:50 am »
Get more gigs?
Especially for the duo (sax and drums).
Unlikely round here.

Survive.
There's no vibrations, but wait.

Karla

• car(e) free
    • Lost Byway - around the world by bike
« Reply #82 on: 08 January, 2022, 12:23:22 pm »
Oops, Google Maps link fixed.

Yes I mean the Russian Military Road

Though I'm sure you're right and the border is porous on a local level, Pickled Onion obviously needs to cross at an official crossing or else he'll be picked up by the Georgians when he leaves the country if not before, as he won't have an entry stamp in his passport.  However, when I was in Georgia a couple of years ago, lots of foreign tourists were going via the military road, so it shouldn't be a problem.  Driving in Georgia was no worse than anywhere else east of Suez! 

A word of warning: the Russian land border is currently quite closed.  Hopefully that will have eased in several months' time.  Also, hopefully it will be easier to get out of Russsia than to get in - especially as I'm planning on going that way this year!  FWIW when I entered Georgia from Azerbaijan at Lagodekhi and then left at Batumi, the border guards couldn't have been more relaxed - and as it's a western-aligned country, as long as the Russian guards will let you out, getting into Georgia shouldn't be a problem.

(

« Reply #83 on: 08 January, 2022, 01:51:51 pm »

Yes, that's the one I was thinking of, the north side is in North Ossetia, but the south side is Georgia.

It's the Abkhazis that will arrest you if you try to cross to Georgia without the right paperwork, that you can only get if you enter from Georgia. Once through the Abkhaz checkpoint, the Georgians have no idea as the Abkhazis insist on either destroying your visa or make you hide it from any Georgian eyes.
Quote from: tiermat
that's not science, it's semantics.

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #84 on: 20 January, 2022, 06:24:28 pm »
  • Dig the scaffold plank (actually it might be a railway sleeper) out of the garage roof, sand it, varnish it, get some hollow concrete blocks and make a weatherproof bench for perching in the sun (humans or cats).

I did part of this today. One side of the plank is covered in cement dust or something so I took it outside and brushed the worst of it off.
Currently wondering if I need to hose it down and scrub it or if I'd be better shoving the electric plane over it. Any thoughts?
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

« Reply #85 on: 20 January, 2022, 06:36:38 pm »
* New double-glazed windows
* Kitchen revamp
* Front porch rebuild
* Majorca cycle holiday (March/April)
* Semaine Federale cycle holiday (July/August). I have entry#9

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
« Reply #86 on: 20 January, 2022, 07:42:06 pm »
  • Dig the scaffold plank (actually it might be a railway sleeper) out of the garage roof, sand it, varnish it, get some hollow concrete blocks and make a weatherproof bench for perching in the sun (humans or cats).

I did part of this today. One side of the plank is covered in cement dust or something so I took it outside and brushed the worst of it off.
Currently wondering if I need to hose it down and scrub it or if I'd be better shoving the electric plane over it. Any thoughts?

Both - I would hose it and brush thoroughly and let it dry - then run the plane over it.  Planing with the cement dust, and probable embedded grit, is going to bugger the plane blade very quickly, likewise don't plane when wet.

Mrs Pingu

• Twitter
« Reply #87 on: 20 January, 2022, 07:46:35 pm »
Ha, thought that might be the case!

robgul

« Reply #88 on: 21 January, 2022, 07:57:54 am »
Ha, thought that might be the case!

If you have an orbital sander I'd try that before the plane - start with an 80 grit for one good go and then perhaps a 150 grit ..... given the relatively* poor timber quality of scaffold board timber planing may present challenges with snipe etc

* I say relatively - they obviously have strengh to be fit for purpose!

Mrs Pingu

• Twitter
« Reply #89 on: 21 January, 2022, 06:12:05 pm »
I don't have a ROS yet. It's in my plans but I'm still trying to work out if I'm likely to be able to get a free one through work on my anniversary or if they're going to make me wait til next Jan. I suspect I'm going to get bored waiting and buy one first.

robgul

« Reply #90 on: 21 January, 2022, 07:00:22 pm »
I don't have a ROS yet. It's in my plans but I'm still trying to work out if I'm likely to be able to get a free one through work on my anniversary or if they're going to make me wait til next Jan. I suspect I'm going to get bored waiting and buy one first.

Unless you really, really want cordless I'd get a corded machine - my battery model gets through batteries (although I do have 3 to swap out) - and if you do get one get some  Abranet sanding discs .... they're a sort of abrasive mesh, when it clogs just take it of the machine, shake it and it iback on - doesn't wear out like normal paper sanding discs.

Mrs Pingu

• Twitter
« Reply #91 on: 21 January, 2022, 07:31:57 pm »
Noted, thanks. I was thinking along those lines...

Mrs Pingu

• Twitter
« Reply #92 on: 20 August, 2022, 07:10:01 pm »
Well.
  • Watch some chaps erect our new shed. Move the gardening tat into it and put up the "shed poster" ;D.(oh yes, and I'll need to paint that and various fences)
  • Attempt to replace blower resistor in car without making anything go bang
  • New kitchen (hopefully).
  • Go under the floor again, make it as far as the kitchen without going wibble and see if there is gas pipe anywhere near where I want the hob
  • Run some cat5 cable under the floor.
  • Annoy the various insulating companies again  :-\
  • Get the loft floored and move all the shit up there
  • Start making pizza again (subject to new kitchen)
  • Build a pond. Wait for the wildlife to flock to it. No really, there had better be dragonflies
  • Attempt to improve the clay soil. Ha. Ha. Ha
  • Post those really great big heavy paving stones lurking at the back of the garden on Freegle in the hope that some champion weightlifters will remove them
  • Dig up the cherry laurel (see also, Freegle)
  • Move the huge pile of bark chips. Acquire a mattock (I like the word mattock). Do extreme violence to the leylandii roots with the vague aim of planting a wildlife hedge up there, eventually.
  • Plant lots of beastie friendly plants
  • Bask in the sun, like a lizard, listening to the humming and whatnot
  • Replace the crap shower and bath with a decent shower and cabinet (subject to funds)
  • Stoke the kitties
  • Maybe even ride my bike

Not done bad really, so far. The need for cat5 cable appears to have gone away.
The paving stones got beaten to death and taken to the tip in many trips. The cherry laurel went in the bin.
The underfloor is insulated as much as it can be, and hopefully  ::-) the CWI will get done soon.
I gave up with the leylandii roots and just planted between them.
I attempted to improve the soil (but there is basically a seam of terracotta a spade's depth down), the proof of the pudding will be seeing how much of a swimming pool there is when it starts raining...
On top of all that I also painted quite a lot of new fence, though there is still a lot more fence still to paint.
The bathroom improvements are not happening this year, and maybe not next year if I decide to go for solar PV instead.
The 'GAMI to floor the loft' has turned into 'let's try DIY' so that will be a project for the autumn.

And we have had dragonfly visitors  :D

IanDG

• The p*** artist formerly known as 'Windy'
    • the_dandg_rouleur
« Reply #93 on: 20 August, 2022, 07:19:48 pm »
Whatever they were don't think I've achieved  ;D

Mrs Pingu

• Twitter
« Reply #94 on: 20 August, 2022, 07:22:38 pm »
There's always next year :)

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #95 on: 20 August, 2022, 08:29:04 pm »
Remove the vast and trunkless teetering piles of crap from this room, and pay My Man to redecorate it, involving damp-proof insulation and lots of built-in book-cases. Then move the piano in here, where there is a lot more space for it than in its current home. This will not be cheap.

Now I've said that I want to do this, perhaps I will get a round tuit.

That trip to Shetland that I mentioned.

See more of our siblings.

See less of our children. That's not an ambition or a plan, it's just a strong possibility what with our sons moving much further away from us.

Finish paying for the car and actually keeping this one.

Not doing well on any count here. The only time I've seen all of my siblings at once was at the funeral of the one I couldn't see. That certainly wasn't foreseen in December.

We've seen very little of our children, other than on a computer screen.

I bought a bike, which I hadn't intended to do in December, but I'm bloody glad I did.

Shetland is still on hold.

Paying for the car is still the plan. That comes up in October.

Decorating hasn't happened, save a new front door which was pretty well forced on us because of the condition of the old one.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #96 on: 20 August, 2022, 08:31:42 pm »
    • New kitchen (hopefully).
    • Maybe even ride my bike

This. I managed a grand total of two bike rides in 2021... :o

Done the first one. Second is still a work in progress... :-\[/list]

IanDG

• the_dandg_rouleur
    « Reply #97 on: 20 August, 2022, 08:42:10 pm »
    • Get the cottage renovation finished and move in
    • Brampton Control at LEL
    • A cycle tour

Just found my OP

1 - still possible. just heating system and bathroom to finish and then tidying up. Maybe within 3 months
    2 - I attended and did what I could. Some kitchen and toilet duties and marshalling. Even stamped a few cards
    3 - non-starter at the moment :(

« Reply #98 on: 20 August, 2022, 09:04:01 pm »
    As Meatloaf opined, 2 out of 3 ain’t bad.  :thumbsup:
    We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

IanDG

• the_dandg_rouleur
    « Reply #99 on: 20 August, 2022, 09:14:10 pm »
    As Meatloaf opined, 2 out of 3 ain’t bad.  :thumbsup:

:thumbsup: