Author Topic: Duck lips.  (Read 4349 times)

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
Re: Duck lips.
« Reply #25 on: 04 January, 2022, 06:29:51 pm »
These chaps took it a bit too far.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-59867046
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #26 on: 04 January, 2022, 06:41:37 pm »
How we appear is a key part of our identity and we all put effort into it, conscious or unconscious.
I don't put effort into appearing unconscious, it comes naturally. Especially at 9 o'clock on a Monday morning.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

sprogs

• from your big sister, Steve.
« Reply #27 on: 06 January, 2022, 08:07:14 pm »
I think some people may have misunderstood me. I wasn't criticizing them , I wasn't putting anyone down on grounds of sex or anything like that.
I'm nearly 70 years old and have been attacked verbally an physically throughout my life because I don't look normal and I try not to do that to anyone else.
It was just that I'd just read an article about a man who had had two fingers removed to form a claw hand and when I saw his picture I gasped out loud. Then when I went into the chemist's a few minutes later it just made me wonder what makes people do such things to themselves but take it to such extremes.

« Reply #28 on: 06 January, 2022, 09:32:40 pm »
In answering the original question as it stands, yes.  Such attraction is not confined to men either.

However, much of what people do with their bodies is predominantly for their own satisfaction apparently.  I have been told this by folk who have tattoos, hair implants, breast enlargement and reduction, botox, various piercings, ripped bodies (not just men either) and other procedures.  I am perfectly happy for folk to express themselves in whatever manner they wish whether it be their clothing, bodies or usually a mix of both. 

It occurs to me that I have a rich and diverse circle of associates.

« Reply #29 on: 06 January, 2022, 09:35:06 pm »
These chaps took it a bit too far.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-59867046
They were 72! Take out the lips and excess cheeks they kind of didn't look, anywhere close to 72 years of age. It's not just what cosmetic surgery but it seemed to me they were physically younger than their biological age and still very active. I know 70 year old people who are definitely not very mobile. You might not like their look but I say good on them for being so active... until their anti vaccination  tendencies allowed for them to be put forward for the Herman Cain award that is.

« Reply #30 on: 06 January, 2022, 09:45:03 pm »
A few things on this.  People can have their own self image and how they change themselves to meet that image is totally their business. How is it any worse than colour tattoos that according to the European Union is toxic and about to be banned? Or other body modifications like those ear lobe stretcher rings to put big holes in the ear lobes? Or forked tongues,  tattooed eyes, sub dermal implants, etc?

There's so many people with tattoos but I've not seen threads criticising that? Why?

I do wonder if we're more comfortable commenting on women's bodies and the trout pout / duck lips is an easy target? Guys it's really none of our business and the sooner we start to understand that the closer we will be to reaching a fairer and more equal society for women (and men).

ian

« Reply #31 on: 07 January, 2022, 09:44:42 am »
Tattoos mostly look shit as they generally seem to have been done in biro by a bloke who failed GCSE art.

Does this help?

« Reply #32 on: 07 January, 2022, 10:00:22 am »
A few things on this.  People can have their own self image and how they change themselves to meet that image is totally their business. How is it any worse than colour tattoos that according to the European Union is toxic and about to be banned? Or other body modifications like those ear lobe stretcher rings to put big holes in the ear lobes? Or forked tongues,  tattooed eyes, sub dermal implants, etc?

There's so many people with tattoos but I've not seen threads criticising that? Why?

I do wonder if we're more comfortable commenting on women's bodies and the trout pout / duck lips is an easy target? Guys it's really none of our business and the sooner we start to understand that the closer we will be to reaching a fairer and more equal society for women (and men).

Quite.

I am sure that there are many of us middle aged and older chaps who like our lycra and baulk at the negative comments about mamils.

We do live in a very judgemental society.

« Reply #33 on: 07 January, 2022, 11:27:54 am »
I can never see a tattoo without thinking (what is that going to look like when you put on weight/get old and wrinkly?

Some members of my family have multiple tattoos, ranging from a few inches across to a whole back.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #34 on: 07 January, 2022, 11:43:47 am »

I'm not really bothered by what folks to do their own bodies, but I feel there's a limit somewhere. Tattoos and piercings? Fine, if that's your thing. Alien claw hand man (mentioned upthread)? Hell no. The trouble is, I don't know where I would draw the line (no pun intended); at what point does body modification move from self-expression to harmful? ???

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #35 on: 07 January, 2022, 11:55:12 am »
Is the claw hand harmful to you?

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #36 on: 07 January, 2022, 12:10:17 pm »
Tattoos mostly look shit as they generally seem to have been done in biro by a bloke who failed GCSE art.

Does this help?

“Tattoos are for sailors.  And pikeys.” opined m'learned friend Samfast FLJS many years ago.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

ian

« Reply #37 on: 07 January, 2022, 12:22:43 pm »

Does this help?

“Tattoos are for sailors.  And pikeys.” opined m'learned friend Samfast FLJS many years ago.

My father's closest brush with the sea is the beach at Skegness so he can't use the first excuse.

« Reply #38 on: 07 January, 2022, 12:28:04 pm »
All of the staff at  the nursery my daughter went to had visible tattoos (small dolphins etc and stars on wrists and ankles, no full sleeves).  Back when I was growing up, a visible tattoo would have prevented you from even getting an interview for a job in education. I've just accepted that when she's older she will no doubt have tattoos, the face painting at parties, temporary tattoos etc is all leading towards it.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #39 on: 07 January, 2022, 12:30:44 pm »
I thought that last sentence was going to be "I've just accepted that when she's older she will no doubt be rejected from jobs for not having tattoos."
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #40 on: 07 January, 2022, 12:31:37 pm »
My father had tattoos from his active service during WW2.  He was in the desert as part of Monty's Eighth Army and pushed up through Italy soon afterwards.

Neither a sailor nor a "pikey" thanks. 

Perfect demonstration about being casually judgemental though.

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #41 on: 07 January, 2022, 12:35:10 pm »
I'm not really bothered by what folks to do their own bodies, but I feel there's a limit somewhere. Tattoos and piercings? Fine, if that's your thing. Alien claw hand man (mentioned upthread)? Hell no. The trouble is, I don't know where I would draw the line (no pun intended); at what point does body modification move from self-expression to harmful? ???

There's a massive amount range in what in many cases may be body dysphoria. I remember a few years ago watching a documentary about a guy who felt that he shouldn't have legs, hated them, and wanted them to be removed. No doctor was willing to do it.

It's really interesting (read also anger inducing), when you look at the various permanent or near permanent things people do with their bodies, and the way the medical profession act to them.

- Woman wants to get her tubes tied? Doctor's usually won't do it, what if you change your minds, what if your husband wants kids
- Bloke wants to get vasectomy? Sure, come on in, sign this form, no need to ask your wife.
- Woman get's tattoo. "ew, men aren't going to like that, how's that going to look when you're old?"
- Man get's tattoo "cool ink bro!"
- Woman gets lip fillers or boob implants, or most other plastic surgery. EW SLUT!
- Man does it? no comments
- Trans person wants to live in a body that matches who they feel they are. Must live for 2 years in that role, and see a battery of shrinks, and put up with society asking each other (but not them), if they should be allowed to exist.

But there are also societal expectations on which people of various genders should do. We've all seen the report about the Aussie news presenter who wore the same suit for a year and noone noticed. Yet if one of his female cohosts wore the same outfit twice, there would be stories about it in the news. Youtuber Tom Scott only has one kind of tshirt, to the point the red tshirt thing has become a running gag in some of his videos. He did that cos it looks ok, and it avoids the need to decide what to wear. I know a woman in tech in the US who did something similar, with a number of identical pairs of leggings, and a number of identical tops. She gets quite a lot of comments about it. I'm not a great one for fashion, i tend to choose clothes based on being comfortable, I have 3 identical pairs of trousers (craghopper kiwi pro stretch), 4 skirts, and about a dozen tops. Despite not being in the office that much in the last year, it's enough that one of my colleagues noticed I have a small wardrobe. I also haven't worn make up since at least 2016. Why that date? Well I left it all in the UK when I moved. A gay friend has promised to go make up shopping with me when the rules permit it (he give's me fashion advice, I do DIY tasks for him, the classic lesbian and gay man relationship). I do have friend who do not feel dressed without makeup on tho. To the point that they will do make up to get on a zoom call, then sit there in their dressing gown. I mentioned this sort of thing in the super twat thread about a certain person being a camera nazi. There is an expectation from society for what is presentable for women in the work place, and in many cases make up, even at just a minimal level, is part of that. If you're at home, working on your own all day, to be told at short notice "Hey, let's just jump on zoom" is not as simple as it is for men. I make a point of not turning my camera on, and as such despite having online meetings most days, I often don't get dressed, working all day in just a towel (I need to get a dressing gown, my old one is in the same place as my make up).

Anyway, I'm waffling, people are shit, society puts way more pressure on women to appear in certain ways, and people are way too judgemental about it all. Unless you're being pressured to conform to something, who cares, relax, and let people be who they want to be.

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #42 on: 07 January, 2022, 12:35:45 pm »

When it's somebody else's body.

Otherwise, the "your body; your choice" principle applies.  Be that haircuts, tattoos, food, medications, abortions, joint fusions, gender-affirming surgeries, self-harm or whatever.

« Reply #43 on: 07 January, 2022, 12:57:59 pm »

- Bloke wants to get vasectomy? Sure, come on in, sign this form, no need to ask your wife.

That really wasn't my experience when I wanted a vasectomy. I had to see a doctor for an 'informed discussion' first, which included probing questions like "Do you already have children? Are you married, and is your partner aware you are intending to get a vasectomy?"
When I responded 'yes' to these questions, they even pointed out that it would be conceivable that I would get divorced, start another relationship and my new partner would want children. How would I handle that?
<i>Marmite slave</i>

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #44 on: 07 January, 2022, 01:03:40 pm »

That really wasn't my experience when I wanted a vasectomy. I had to see a doctor for an 'informed discussion' first, which included probing questions like "Do you already have children? Are you married, and is your partner aware you are intending to get a vasectomy?"
When I responded 'yes' to these questions, they even pointed out that it would be conceivable that I would get divorced, start another relationship and my new partner would want children. How would I handle that?

That is more thorough than the cases i am aware of where friends had it done.

J
--

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #45 on: 07 January, 2022, 01:04:16 pm »
- Woman wants to get her tubes tied? Doctor's usually won't do it, what if you change your minds, what if your husband wants kids
- Woman gets lip fillers or boob implants, or most other plastic surgery. EW SLUT!

There's a special exemption for these ones in the case of [visible] disabilities.  Of course disabled people shouldn't have children.  And all sorts of cosmetic procedures are justifiable simply on the basis that "they might get bullied at school".  Like they aren't going to get bullied anyway.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #46 on: 07 January, 2022, 01:07:52 pm »
My father had tattoos from his active service during WW2.  He was in the desert as part of Monty's Eighth Army and pushed up through Italy soon afterwards.

Neither a sailor nor a "pikey" thanks. 

Perfect demonstration about being casually judgemental though.

Samfast was, and possibly still is, a journalist.  Being casually judgmental is fundamental to the job.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #47 on: 07 January, 2022, 01:15:13 pm »
It would be interesting to watch one of the doyens of the forum try being casually judgemental about tattoos while shut in a room with a Maori, a member of the Yakuza and a Russian Vor:demon:
"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #48 on: 07 January, 2022, 01:19:31 pm »

Obligatory xkcd:

https://xkcd.com/933/

J
--

« Reply #49 on: 07 January, 2022, 01:23:52 pm »

That is more thorough than the cases i am aware of where friends had it done.

J
I went to Marie Stopes.

Can't speak for other people's experiences (which is a good general guideline).
<i>Marmite slave</i>