Author Topic: Touring Bikes?  (Read 15100 times)

Re: Touring Bikes?
« Reply #25 on: 06 January, 2022, 04:24:26 pm »
Sorry to disappoint but there is no ferry from Newcastle to Denmark. The only ferry is to Ijmuiden (Amsterdam).  There is a weekly service from the north of Denmark to Iceland calling at the Faroes, which I’d love to do sometime though in practice, flying to Iceland is the more practical option.

My tourer of choice is the Shand Stoater Rohloff.
I am often asked, what does YOAV stand for? It stands for Yoav On A Velo

Wal

« Reply #26 on: 06 January, 2022, 04:50:45 pm »
Sorry to disappoint but there is no ferry from Newcastle to Denmark. The only ferry is to Ijmuiden (Amsterdam).  There is a weekly service from the north of Denmark to Iceland calling at the Faroes, which I’d love to do sometime though in practice, flying to Iceland is the more practical option.

Pity about that, there was one from Newcastle, there is a ferry to Esbjerg also, not sure where from... Faroe is amazing, I would recommend a fish supper (Fish & chips) at Torshaven, best I have ever had... I will check out the Stoater,... Cheers!

Wal

« Reply #27 on: 06 January, 2022, 04:55:16 pm »
[quote  Train your legs that is.

It does look a capable machine, after being away from cycling the past three years, its certainly time to get the legs back into shape... Maybe on a more traditional tourer... Thanks...
To be fair it's probably is one for when you've done a bit first. A few tours and after you've had a run of cycling. Even when I was commuting every day the switch to recumbent was hard.  I was upright fit but recumbent uses the legs a bit differently.

I. Like genesis tour de fer personally or Spa cycles bikes are very traditional which suits some. Surly disc/long haul trucker I've read is a no compromise tourer which you might not like if you're using it a lot unladen as a commuter or day ride bike. If that's your main use then croix de fer might be a decent option. Have a look at sonder bikes too if backpacking or light touring is your thing. Both off and on road options from sender. I like the trek 520 but there's not many around in the UK right now it seems. A bit harder to get than the others. An outside the mainstream option is from giant. Can't remember the models but there's a European style touring bike option with flat bars and a few gravel bikes with front and rear rack versions. No idea how good they are because there's something a bit different about giant bikes I can't put my finger on. Can't work out if designs are very dated or just a different take on modern design.
[/quote]

Thanks, my LBS has just pulled out a boxed Trek 520 in my size, which is very tempting, it would save on a self build, I could strip it down and build it before leaving to get used to the bike... It may double as a good commuter training bike also... It takes 2.00 inch tyres... Decisions!

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
Re: A Touring Bike List
« Reply #28 on: 06 January, 2022, 05:35:11 pm »
Classic answer would be Surly (Disc) Trucker. Kona Sutra seems very good too. I'm very happy with my Specialized Sequoia, though it certainly does "weigh a bit" (and I don't think they sell it in the UK anymore).

Cudz is bang on the money.  I've have a Surly Disc Trucker (Fred) since 2015 and love it.  I haven't done masses of touring and yes the DT is heavy but Fred has never ridden like a heavy bike.  I also have a lightweight wheel set which makes him like a different bike.

Fred feels as safe as houses when descending at speed, even when carrying touring loads, and is my go anywhere, do anything bike.  I'm sure there are other bikes which are just as good but I'd recommend a Surly Disc Trucker.

« Reply #29 on: 06 January, 2022, 05:55:34 pm »
I had a trek 920 from a few years back but looks like the same frame as the current model.  I didn’t get on with the geometry much and gave it to my nephew.  It was a good tourer.   

bhoot

• MemSec (ex-Mrs RRtY)
« Reply #30 on: 06 January, 2022, 06:18:10 pm »
there is a ferry to Esbjerg also, not sure where from...
The passenger/car ferry WAS from Harwich, sadly withdrawn a few years ago. I found out on this forum that it was the final year of operation and very quickly booked it - we had an amazing tour from our front door to Oslo and back utilising the Harwich-Esbjerg ferry each way, the Hirtshals-Bergen and Oslo-Copenhagen overnight crossings (and two smaller ferries to and from a Danish island to avoid putting the tandem on the train across the Great Belt)

Karla

• car(e) free
    • Lost Byway - around the world by bike
« Reply #31 on: 06 January, 2022, 07:05:37 pm »
If you're thinking of going to Iceland, I was there for three weeks this September.  The ring road is nice enough, but most of the interesting stuff is in the interior, which involves riding unmade roads.  These vary from hard rock to gravel to black sand, potentially switching every hundred yards, depending on how long since the latest volcanic eruption in that area.  The black sand is particularly annoying to ride over as you will sink in it and  progress is very slow - you'll learn to love washboard as at least it gives you something solid to ride over.  Get the widest tyres you can.  I was on 700x45, and though I wished I'd had wider, I had an easier time than my friend who had narrower (35ish) tyres and a heavier bike, as I could float over some of the bits where he dug in.  My bike - a Kinesis Tripster, which I'd thoroughly recommend - could have taken 50 mm tyres; it looks like the 520 will take at least that size, so make sure you fit them, and don't overpack. 

There's no ferrry UK-Denmark anymore, but as mentioned upthread, if you get the ferry from there to Iceland you can stop off in the Faroe Islands.  I didn't do this but it sounds like an excellent idea if you've got the time. 

« Reply #32 on: 06 January, 2022, 09:28:49 pm »
controversially, I sold my surly long haul trucker because I didn't like the way it rode without luggage (it was **amazing** with a load).  So I bought a surly crosscheck instead - Love it to bits.  is loads of fun on road, did sterling service as a brisk winter club ride bike (with lighter wheels) and has done a few well loaded tours with panniers front and back.

I'd go direct to a surly straggler now, the only thing wrong with my crosscheck is the brakes aren't great fully loaded, on a steep downhill, in the wet.  I weigh 110kgs though...

« Reply #33 on: 06 January, 2022, 09:41:50 pm »
My LHT is now into the second half of its second decade. I'll probably keep it forever as I can't see it dying before I do! It is an excellent touring machine and has done many, many fully loaded miles.

However, now that my Ti Tripster is a few years old, I fancy giving it a bit of abuse. It will also give me an opportunity to make a comparison for myself regarding traditional tourers vs more modern "Bike packing" (*vomits*) bikes rather than taking the word of some hipster kid with a silly beard...
Those wonderful norks are never far from my thoughts, oh yeah!

IanDG

• The p*** artist formerly known as 'Windy'
    • the_dandg_rouleur
« Reply #34 on: 06 January, 2022, 09:42:39 pm »
Another Trucker rider here (LHT not disc). I haven't got round to loading up for a tour yet (went into lockdown as I was planning my first tour) but like the way it rides unladen. It soaks up the miles - not fast but comfortable. I've even used it  for a few 200/300km audax events and managed 25kph moving average.

« Reply #35 on: 06 January, 2022, 09:43:27 pm »
Another Trucker rider here (LHT not disc). I haven't got round to loading up for a tour yet and like the way it rides unladen. It soaks up the miles - not fast but comfortable, I've even used it  for a few 200/300km audax events and managed 25kph moving average.

I did an SR on mine. Then PBP  :)
Those wonderful norks are never far from my thoughts, oh yeah!

IanDG

• The p*** artist formerly known as 'Windy'
    • the_dandg_rouleur
« Reply #36 on: 06 January, 2022, 09:44:36 pm »

I did an SR on mine. Then PBP  :)

:thumbsup:

« Reply #37 on: 06 January, 2022, 09:49:40 pm »

Pity about that, there was one from Newcastle, there is a ferry to Esbjerg also, not sure where from... Faroe is amazing, I would recommend a fish supper (Fish & chips) at Torshaven, best I have ever had... I will check out the Stoater,... Cheers!
Harwich to Esbjerg was with DFDS and ceased in 2014. There is a ferry run by DFDS from Immingham but its trucks only.

« Reply #38 on: 06 January, 2022, 09:53:02 pm »
[quote  Train your legs that is.

It does look a capable machine, after being away from cycling the past three years, its certainly time to get the legs back into shape... Maybe on a more traditional tourer... Thanks...
To be fair it's probably is one for when you've done a bit first. A few tours and after you've had a run of cycling. Even when I was commuting every day the switch to recumbent was hard.  I was upright fit but recumbent uses the legs a bit differently.

I. Like genesis tour de fer personally or Spa cycles bikes are very traditional which suits some. Surly disc/long haul trucker I've read is a no compromise tourer which you might not like if you're using it a lot unladen as a commuter or day ride bike. If that's your main use then croix de fer might be a decent option. Have a look at sonder bikes too if backpacking or light touring is your thing. Both off and on road options from sender. I like the trek 520 but there's not many around in the UK right now it seems. A bit harder to get than the others. An outside the mainstream option is from giant. Can't remember the models but there's a European style touring bike option with flat bars and a few gravel bikes with front and rear rack versions. No idea how good they are because there's something a bit different about giant bikes I can't put my finger on. Can't work out if designs are very dated or just a different take on modern design.

Thanks, my LBS has just pulled out a boxed Trek 520 in my size, which is very tempting, it would save on a self build, I could strip it down and build it before leaving to get used to the bike... It may double as a good commuter training bike also... It takes 2.00 inch tyres... Decisions!
[/quote]
The 520 is the longest running trek bike apparently,  the oldest model made by them that's still sold. It's not changed much only modernised components but the geometry I believe never changed. I think that says a lot about the quality of the 520's design.

« Reply #39 on: 06 January, 2022, 10:38:42 pm »
If you want to build your own bike the 520 is available as a framekit (at least it is in France!) 669€ incl post. Sounds like a good deal to me as these things go. Cheaper than the Strangler (although perhaps not the Disc  Trucker).
I have a clubmate with a DT, he swears by it loaded. Before he had a 650 Confrérie Evolution 3 that used to shimmy very badly loaded (he is a big bloke). I also came across someone from another club who did PBP on an LHT.

Wal

« Reply #40 on: 07 January, 2022, 08:02:49 am »
Thanks for all the comments folks...

Lotta LHT/LHDTs out there...

Great to know that in a post-Brexit sea faring Island nation, we sail literally nowhere... There was a route between Norway from Shetland, will check that out also... I have a few weeks of freedom this year, so I am flexible on travel, remote and fly-fishing is the main objective, with a decent enough bike to carry the load and tackle a bit of off-road/gravel etc...

I'll check out the Trek 520 at LBS its £1300.00, 36h wheels, racks included, alivio groupset, 2021 model, the 2022 model is £1600.00+, good to know it will fit wider tires also if Iceland is a go...

Cheers!

Wal

« Reply #41 on: 07 January, 2022, 08:49:15 am »
Och, just when ye think ye have the bike all sorted, up pops this wee beastie... Very braw indeed!

« Reply #42 on: 07 January, 2022, 09:26:30 am »
Sorry to disappoint again but the Smyril line ferry that runs between Denmark, Faroes and Iceland stopped calling into Shetland about 15 years ago.

I was in my local branch of outdoor seller Tiso and their in-house cycle shop Alpine bikes had this:
https://www.tiso.com/bicyg1al0168/bombtrack-arise-tour-blue/00212613
I am often asked, what does YOAV stand for? It stands for Yoav On A Velo

Oscar's dad

« Reply #43 on: 07 January, 2022, 10:23:52 am »
... controversially, I sold my surly long haul trucker because I didn't like the way it rode without luggage (it was **amazing** with a load)...

Its interesting how people have different experiences with the same machines.  I find my Disc Trucker, which I am assuming is exactly the same frame geometry as the LHT, rides beautifully when lightly loaded. 

In fact me and Fred, lightly loaded and fitted with his lightweight wheelset, spent 6 days in the Alps with some yacf chums back in 2018; Fred never put a foot wrong and was a lovely ride.  If you have 13 minutes so spare HERE is what it looks and feels like to descend from a French alpine col aboard a Surly Disc Trucker!

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #44 on: 07 January, 2022, 10:39:13 am »
In fact me and Fred, lightly loaded and fitted with his lightweight wheelset, spent 6 days in the Alps with some yacf chums back in 2018; Fred never put a foot wrong and was a lovely ride.  If you have 13 minutes so spare HERE is what it looks and feels like to descend from a French alpine col aboard a Surly Disc Trucker!
I enjoyed watching that. Doing it must have been great fun!
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Oscar's dad

« Reply #45 on: 07 January, 2022, 10:57:34 am »
I enjoyed watching that. Doing it must have been great fun!

It was great fun, were went in 2014 as well and did much the same routes in 2018 - we'll be going again in the not too distant future I hope.

... controversially, I sold my surly long haul trucker because I didn't like the way it rode without luggage (it was **amazing** with a load)...

Its interesting how people have different experiences with the same machines.  I find my Disc Trucker, which I am assuming is exactly the same frame geometry as the LHT, rides beautifully when lightly loaded. 

Well done, hope you were wearing knee sliders... The bike looked fairly planted, not twitchy at all... If I were 40 years younger, I would have had my longboard down there  ;D... Question is, how was it going up? Was there a Ferry? Cheers!

Thanks, the bike was very well planted and no twitching.  I have descended at speed full loaded with Fred's heavy wheel set and he's just as well planted.  Descending Snake Pass sticks in my memory, as you went round bends at speed you could feel the frame, wheels and tyres subtly flexing and working together, it was amazing!

Oscar's dad

« Reply #46 on: 07 January, 2022, 10:59:28 am »
Fred fully loaded up...

Oscar's dad

« Reply #47 on: 07 January, 2022, 11:10:37 am »
:thumbsup: Nice set up... I am looking forward to this trip now... Thanks for sharing OD...

:thumbsup:

« Reply #48 on: 07 January, 2022, 12:25:07 pm »
OD remind me what commission did Surly have you on?

Oscar's dad

« Reply #49 on: 07 January, 2022, 12:36:42 pm »
OD remind me what commission did Surly have you on?

0% regrettably!