Author Topic: Wordle  (Read 183747 times)

Re: Wordle
« Reply #50 on: 09 January, 2022, 08:17:05 am »
Is the best strategy to start with a word with as many consonants as possible or as many vowels?

PaulF

• "World's Scariest Barman"
  • It's only impossible if you stop to think about it
« Reply #51 on: 09 January, 2022, 08:21:39 am »
Defeated me today, was trying a different approach that didn’t work in this case plus

(click to show/hide)

« Reply #52 on: 09 January, 2022, 09:20:42 am »
Wordle 204 5/6

⬜⬜🟩🟨⬜
⬜⬜⬜⬜⬜
⬜🟨⬜⬜⬜
⬜🟩🟩🟩🟩
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

(click to show/hide)
Rust never sleeps

« Reply #53 on: 09 January, 2022, 09:33:50 am »
Is the best strategy to start with a word with as many consonants as possible or as many vowels?

I think vowels.

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #54 on: 09 January, 2022, 11:34:18 am »
I think vowels.

I agree.

It's what's allowed me to get a few in 3 recently.

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #55 on: 09 January, 2022, 11:36:46 am »
Wordle 204 5/6

🟩🟨

🟨
🟩🟩🟩🟩
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

(click to show/hide)

Both my wife and I made the same penultimate guess. I expect many others did likewise.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #56 on: 09 January, 2022, 11:42:01 am »

(click to show/hide)

Both my wife and I made the same penultimate guess. I expect many others did likewise.

(click to show/hide)

J
--

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #57 on: 09 January, 2022, 12:30:31 pm »
(click to show/hide)

My technique is as follows: E is the most common vowel and T the most common consonant, H and R are also among the most common, so EARTH usually returns at least a couple of browns (are they meant to be yellow? Maybe OCHRE or UMBER?) and sometimes a green. If it doesn't give any hits, I try HEART then HATER. If still nothing, it's time to try new material: ROLES introduces a new vowel and new, common, consonants. This can be followed by SORES and finally LOSER.

HTH – or as they say in Wordle, HUTCH.
 ;)
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #58 on: 09 January, 2022, 12:38:47 pm »
Interesting. The new one is revealed at midnight local time.

Does that mean the whole thing is running locally?

*peers at source code*

*says nothing*
It's installing bitcoin miners, isn't it?

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #59 on: 09 January, 2022, 12:47:27 pm »
PSA: There's a dark theme and colour blind mode in the settings.  Because they couldn't be arsed to make it accessible from the outset.

For non colour blind people (or this non colour blind person, at least), CBM is really horrible to look at. This is often true of CBM generally, not just of this game. It’s just an ugly* mix of colours.

It's quite hard to come up with a set of colours that work for all types of colourblindness.  What works for protanopes can make things worse for deutaneropes, and vice-versa.  And some people have true monochromatic vision.

Aesthetics are a lost cause.  People with normal colour vision are obsessed with colour, and have all sorts of weird rules about what does and doesn't look nice[1].  Being colourblind, I'm banned from making colour decisions without adult supervision. My sense of aesthetics is dominated by contrast (and I have weird protanope ideas about the brightness of anything with a strong red component, which is an additional liability), and I'll generally choose colours for contrast reasons.

Would it actually be possible to make a default setting that suits the needs of <everyone>?

Sure, you follow the simple design rule of not indicating anything using colour alone (I call this the "does it work in black & white" test).  Different textured lines, shapes of boxes, crossings-out, that sort of thing.  Then you can colour them in to your heart's content - remembering of course to stay within the WCAG rules on contrast - and nobody has to think about it.  Using colour alone is just lazy design.

Making the word game non-tedious to screenreader users requires a bit more thought.  Nobody wants to listen to "black large square, black large square, replacement character, black large square, black large square, replacement character, replacement character, black large square, black large square, black large square, replacement character, black large square, replacement character, replacement character, black large square, black large square, replacement character, black large square, replacement character, replacement character, replacement character, replacement character, replacement character", especially once they realise that it doesn't even convey the game state properly.

[1] Nobody has ever successfully explained 'clashing' to me.  Apparently it's a thing.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #60 on: 09 January, 2022, 01:02:21 pm »

*peers at source code*

*says nothing*

I wondered that (or whether it was harvesting twitter accounts or something).

It seems to be quite well behaved.  But eminently cheatable.

« Reply #61 on: 09 January, 2022, 01:38:21 pm »
Defeated me today, was trying a different approach that didn’t work in this case plus

(click to show/hide)

That got me as well.

Wordle 204 X/6

⬜⬜⬜⬜⬜
🟩🟨⬜⬜⬜
🟩🟨⬜🟨⬜
🟩⬜⬜🟨🟨
🟩🟩🟩🟨⬜
🟩🟩🟩⬜🟩

citoyen

« Reply #62 on: 09 January, 2022, 03:10:28 pm »
Using colour alone is just lazy design.

As a rule, I'd agree with that, but this is just a simple game that some bloke has created in his bedroom for him and his mates to play. He never intended it to go viral. It seems a bit churlish to complain - especially when there is a colour blind option (and the only way it could be easier to find is if he put the toggle switch on the front page).

If this were a commercial app, I'd be more inclined to come down on your side on this.

[1] Nobody has ever successfully explained 'clashing' to me.  Apparently it's a thing.

I won a prize at school for an artwork on the theme of "Conflict". While everyone else chose to interpret this as meaning "War", I decided instead to render the word CONFLICT in a disharmonious combination of colours and patterns. It was horrible!  ;D

citoyen

« Reply #63 on: 09 January, 2022, 03:14:58 pm »

αdαmsκι

• Instagram @ucfaaay Strava @ucfaaay
  • Look haggard. It sells.
« Reply #64 on: 09 January, 2022, 04:21:56 pm »
Wordle 204
⬛🟨⬛⬛⬛
🟩🟨🟨⬛🟩
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

Took a while to think of the possibilities for the third guess.

Missed the tiger one earlier in the week when I had a final guess and two possible words.
What on earth am I doing here on this beautiful day?! This is the only life I've got!!

https://tyredandhungry.wordpress.com/

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #65 on: 09 January, 2022, 04:40:54 pm »

*peers at source code*

*says nothing*

I wondered that (or whether it was harvesting twitter accounts or something).

It seems to be quite well behaved.  But eminently cheatable.
A bit like audax then (and look at the overlap!). Just as with audax, what would be the point? And just as with audax, some people will cheat because for them that is the point.

Paul

• L'enfer, c'est les autos.
« Reply #66 on: 09 January, 2022, 05:35:54 pm »
PSA: There's a dark theme and colour blind mode in the settings.  Because they couldn't be arsed to make it accessible from the outset.
Ooh, thank you K. I don’t think I’d have even thought to look for such a thing! Much better   :thumbsup:
What's so funny about peace, love and understanding?

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #67 on: 09 January, 2022, 06:10:29 pm »
Wordle 204 5/6

⬜🟨🟩🟨⬜
⬜🟩🟩🟨⬜
⬜🟩🟩⬜🟩
⬜🟩🟩🟩🟩
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

« Reply #68 on: 09 January, 2022, 08:34:50 pm »
Wordle 204 4/6

🟨🟩
🟩🟩🟩
🟩🟩🟩🟩
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩
Too many angry people - breathe & relax.

rr

« Reply #69 on: 10 January, 2022, 12:24:03 am »
Wordle 205 4/6

🟨🟩
🟨

🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

Interesting

Sent from my motorola edge 20 using Tapatalk

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #70 on: 10 January, 2022, 01:08:09 am »

Today's was a challenge. Got it on the 5th go in the end.

J
--

citoyen

Wordle
« Reply #71 on: 10 January, 2022, 07:30:56 am »
You call that a challenge?

Wordle 205 2/6*

🟨🟨
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

:smug:

That wasn’t just pure luck either - it was a case of a) finding a word with the two correct letters from the first guess, b) in different positions, and c) without re-using any of the eliminated letters from the first guess.

This is where choosing a first guess with all common letters, not just vowels, is helpful. Also playing [slightly] hard[er] mode where you have to use any revealed hints in subsequent guesses. And I also make a point of not re-using any eliminated letters.

(click to show/hide)

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #72 on: 10 January, 2022, 09:35:19 am »
Tried the colour blind mode today. The colours used are unintuitive, almost counterintuitive, to me.

« Reply #73 on: 10 January, 2022, 10:50:10 am »
Wordle 205 4/6

⬜⬜🟨⬜⬜
⬜⬜⬜⬜⬜
⬜🟨⬜⬜🟩
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

(click to show/hide)
Rust never sleeps

« Reply #74 on: 10 January, 2022, 11:26:54 am »
Wordle 205 4/6