Author Topic: Solve my noise issue *Reward*  (Read 5415 times)

Re: Solve my noise issue *Reward*
« Reply #50 on: 20 January, 2022, 05:12:23 pm »
HUZZAH !!!!!   Celebrate the win.
Rust never sleeps

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #51 on: 20 January, 2022, 06:11:16 pm »
I am celebrating too, though mildly disappointed that I did not spend time checking the chainring, solving the actual problem and getting applauded by the crowd. Good work Sam.

Sotto voce: Next time, don’t round out the chainring bolts. They frightened me off when I saw them.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

Paul

• L'enfer, c'est les autos.
« Reply #52 on: 22 January, 2022, 11:18:20 am »
Enjoy this happy time, for soon the silence will allow you to hear a new, previously drowned-out noise.
What's so funny about peace, love and understanding?

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #53 on: 22 January, 2022, 11:46:14 am »
One of the MAMILs at work was forced to abandon the annual 100-mile charity ride on his multi-thousand pound TT bike because of loose chainring bolts.  He didn't notice them falling off until he was down to the last two, and it all got a bit ragged down there.  Had to be rescued by car.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

sam

« Reply #54 on: 22 January, 2022, 01:31:33 pm »
Next job: Somehow extracting that rounded chainring bolt.

Enjoy this happy time, for soon the silence will allow you to hear a new, previously drowned-out noise.

That's a cheery thought. Kind of reminds me of how my Langster came new with memento mori. (Google kept asking "Did you mean: "Gangster skull".)

Hythe there

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #55 on: 22 January, 2022, 01:36:38 pm »
It is easy enough to drill them out. Work your way up in drill size to avoid damaging the crank. From memory, your chainring bolts were not centred in their holes.

sam

« Reply #56 on: 22 January, 2022, 01:38:48 pm »
From memory, your chainring bolts were not centred in their holes.

Will the embarrassment never end.

BFC

• ACME Wheelwright and Bike Fettler
« Reply #57 on: 22 January, 2022, 02:10:46 pm »
It is easy enough to drill them out. Work your way up in drill size to avoid damaging the crank. From memory, your chainring bolts were not centred in their holes.
Forcing a torx bit into knackered allen heads can work. Don't snap the bit though, although with chainring bolts you can knock it through from the back.

If resorting to drilling, left handed drill bits do exist for extracting threads, although more expensive than "normal" right handed bits. Most drills are reversible.

« Reply #58 on: 22 January, 2022, 08:40:05 pm »
I've mounted a chainring the other way round before, to get more wear out of it, I don't think I got any noise.

sam

« Reply #59 on: 23 January, 2022, 09:31:22 am »
What I need is a spare bike solely to test theories.

As for that stuck chainring bolt, knowing how hopeless I'd likely be with a drill, I decided to try sticking an expendable allen key to it using the loctite.

Two victory dances in one week.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #60 on: 23 January, 2022, 09:54:50 am »
We will turn you into a master mechanic yet. I hope to get there eventually but my progress is disappointingly slow.