Author Topic: Camp cosmetics  (Read 2828 times)

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
Camp cosmetics
« on: 14 January, 2022, 08:29:38 pm »
Having discovered that you can "get pretty with me" (see sleeping mat thread), I think there must be potential for camp(ing) cosmetics. Beauty products which are light, durable and easy to apply, in packaging that is lightweight, compact, spill-proof and unbreakable. Ideally the products would be multipurpose, protecting against sun, wind and insects as well as getting you pretty. They should be easy to apply without a mirror, although the there's scope for a compact (is that he term?) where the mirror also functions as a signalling and fire-starting device. Glass bottles are obviously right out as far as packaging goes.

Perhaps I'll launch a range and sell it via this forum, as well as maybe setting up a stall at, say, York Rally. Or perhaps such things already exist. Perhaps, in fact, these are properties of normal, existing cosmetics. Or perhaps all campers and hikers are beauty au naturel. And perhaps if I did this, I'd have to wear it myself – this probably wouldn't be a good advertisement (though who knows?).
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
Re: Camp cosmetics
« Reply #1 on: 14 January, 2022, 08:33:27 pm »
 ::-)
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #2 on: 14 January, 2022, 08:40:26 pm »
I'm reminded of some camping trip or other where a large group of DofE girls were present, taking turns to use the power socket in the wash block for their hair straighteners...

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #3 on: 14 January, 2022, 08:48:19 pm »
That sounds like something that you'd encounter at Watlington, though doubtless other places too. No, I'm thinking of something more for the lightweight hikers. Definitely nothing mains powered. In fact maybe this shouldn't be a product but a process; a way to make things from natural ingredients, leaves, grasses, soils, maybe insects. Like washing your hair in nettles or walnut leaves, but maybe for skin.

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #4 on: 14 January, 2022, 09:00:57 pm »
Having discovered that you can "get pretty with me" (see sleeping mat thread), I think there must be potential for camp(ing) cosmetics. Beauty products which are light, durable and easy to apply, in packaging that is lightweight, compact, spill-proof and unbreakable. Ideally the products would be multipurpose, protecting against sun, wind and insects as well as getting you pretty. They should be easy to apply without a mirror, although the there's scope for a compact (is that he term?) where the mirror also functions as a signalling and fire-starting device. Glass bottles are obviously right out as far as packaging goes.

Perhaps I'll launch a range and sell it via this forum, as well as maybe setting up a stall at, say, York Rally. Or perhaps such things already exist. Perhaps, in fact, these are properties of normal, existing cosmetics. Or perhaps all campers and hikers are beauty au naturel. And perhaps if I did this, I'd have to wear it myself – this probably wouldn't be a good advertisement (though who knows?).

What are you on, Cudzo?
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #5 on: 14 January, 2022, 09:11:21 pm »
I'm on a mission to explore the demand for ultra-lightweight mulitpurpose cosmetics.

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #6 on: 14 January, 2022, 09:24:51 pm »
Would you like to include my aftershave in that?
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #7 on: 14 January, 2022, 09:50:19 pm »
If you'd like to take it with you into the wilds, why not? Add a splash of DEET to keep away the mozzies. Ensure a high enough alcohol content that it can serve as fuel too. Put it in a light but tough plastic bottle (or maybe squeezy bag) of appropriately small capacity, bingo!

Follow on job from that (which won't bother you) would be a reusable razor (ie one that takes a standard, old skool separate blade) made as light as a disposable.

« Reply #8 on: 16 January, 2022, 12:01:00 am »
I'm reminded of some camping trip or other where a large group of DofE girls were present, taking turns to use the power socket in the wash block for their hair straighteners...
I have heard rumours of camp leaders attaching power sockets to the bases of trees in similar circumstances. That's all they did of course, just attach power sockets.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #9 on: 16 January, 2022, 12:07:32 am »
Cudzo,

Make-up doesn’t have to be camp.
It is simpler than it looks.

« Reply #10 on: 16 January, 2022, 03:45:50 pm »
Light, durable , easy to apply. You mean lipstick?

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #11 on: 16 January, 2022, 04:03:33 pm »
I don't do cosmetics.
I no longer go camping.

I do like TOILETRIES that occupy minimum volume and occupy minimum volume.

Fold-up toothbrushes.
'Hotel' issue shower gel/shampoo
Shower caps that double as saddle covers.

My favourite was the Body Shop lemon guest soap, that fitted neatly into a 35mm film canister. This of course shows I'm ancient…

Lip salve sticks with high SPF are handy.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #12 on: 16 January, 2022, 04:41:08 pm »
I do like TOILETRIES that occupy minimum volume

And - and I can't stress this enough - don't leak.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #13 on: 16 January, 2022, 04:57:43 pm »
That's the beauty of solid soap in a film canister…

Film tubs are pretty good anyway but a single, solid soap goes nowhere...

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #14 on: 16 January, 2022, 05:10:44 pm »
Also a fan of solid soap and shampoo but have not tried solid toothpaste (powder or soluble tablets). Not too sure there's a firm line between toiletries and cosmetics. And yes, lipstick fits the definition, but is only single-purpose.

« Reply #15 on: 16 January, 2022, 05:46:59 pm »
Also a fan of solid soap and shampoo but have not tried solid toothpaste (powder or soluble tablets). Not too sure there's a firm line between toiletries and cosmetics. And yes, lipstick fits the definition, but is only single-purpose.

Au contraire, you can get lipstick that also acts as sun block.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #16 on: 16 January, 2022, 05:51:41 pm »
Now that's getting pretty with me a good point well made!

« Reply #17 on: 16 January, 2022, 06:57:23 pm »
Lipstick is also good for writing note's apparently. I've never found one that suits me though  ;)l
the slower you go the more you see

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #18 on: 16 January, 2022, 07:23:17 pm »
Lipstick is also good for writing note's apparently. I've never found one that suits me though  ;)l
Never mind lipstick, what you need is toenail varnish!

« Reply #19 on: 16 January, 2022, 07:55:34 pm »
And if you're looking for a brand name it would have to be Kenneth

Williams
Sunshine approaching from the South.

First time in 1,000 years.

« Reply #20 on: 17 January, 2022, 09:35:40 am »

Au contraire, you can get lipstick that also acts as sun block.

Whereas a lip salve with sunblock can also be used as emergency anti-chafing balm (I'm still bitter that the Vaseline with SPF is discontinued... :'().