Author Topic: Chainsuck?  (Read 451 times)

Chainsuck?
« on: 14 January, 2022, 08:32:46 pm »
Really seized up.  Fortunately I was able to detect the jam and didn't 'crunch it'.  Any thoughts on why, based on the pics. 

I was changing up (from small 24t chain ring) I think.  Chain is pretty oily - haven't checked for stiff links yet.

I undid the rear QR to try and push the wheel forward to release the chain but no cigar.  In the end I completely slackened off the front mech clamp and managed to release the chain.

The chain goes from cassette to middle chain ring, around and jammed up the inside of the front mech (I think) & kinks back to the rear mech.

edit.

PXL_20220114_1 by a oxon, on Flickr

PXL_20220114_2 by a oxon, on Flickr

PXL_20220114_3 by a oxon, on Flickr

Destroying rainforest for economic gain is like burning a Renaissance painting to cook a meal.   EO Wilson

Adam

• It'll soon be summer
    • Charity ride Durness to Dover 18-25th June 2011
Re: Chainsuck?
« Reply #1 on: 14 January, 2022, 09:53:29 pm »
Generally it's due to accumulated gunk, coupled with a dry chain.  Assuming no bent links, give it all a good clean and then lube.
“Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance you must keep moving.” -Albert Einstein

« Reply #2 on: 15 January, 2022, 08:28:27 am »
Thanks Adam.  Will to check chain.

I've had this once before 6 mths ago (chain 2mths old).  I'm wondering if the wide range triple (50-39-24)  has anything to do with it.  Generally works really well - but thinking there may be a rare cross chaining event or something that triggers it.
Destroying rainforest for economic gain is like burning a Renaissance painting to cook a meal.   EO Wilson

« Reply #3 on: 15 January, 2022, 09:02:40 am »
Also caused by worn hooked teeth on the granny ring.  It was so bad on early 90s MTBs, before everyone changed to steel granny rings, that we had monstrosities like the Alpinestars Cro-Mega.
And Darkness and Decay and the Coronavirus held illimitable dominion over all.

Paul

• L'enfer, c'est les autos.
« Reply #4 on: 15 January, 2022, 09:06:52 am »
Also caused by worn hooked teeth on the granny ring.  It was so bad on early 90s MTBs, before everyone changed to steel granny rings, that we had monstrosities like the Alpinestars Cro-Mega.
Blow me down! Suzy had one of those (or a version of it) and I never knew why it was configured that way.
Every day, as they say…
What's so funny about peace, love and understanding?

« Reply #5 on: 15 January, 2022, 09:21:33 am »
They're retro-cool now, and you never have to break the chain to clean it!  I don't think they were very stiff at the back, though.

« Reply #6 on: 15 January, 2022, 02:56:46 pm »
Didn't find any stiff links, & chain has had a good clean & lube.  Chain ring teeth are fine - cleaned off gunk, & re-adjusted the front mech.  Will probably try a 26t (steel granny) instead of 24t.

So still a bit of a mystery.

« Reply #7 on: 15 January, 2022, 06:48:30 pm »
Did you take any pictures of the bottom run of the chain where the actual chain suck took place?

« Reply #8 on: 15 January, 2022, 07:29:53 pm »
Only other pic is this one, sorry it's a bit oof.

PXL_20220114_4 by a oxon, on Flickr

Paul

• L'enfer, c'est les autos.
« Reply #9 on: 15 January, 2022, 08:01:07 pm »
How long is your chain? Does your wide-ish triple mean that you leave a link or more in the chain to accommodate a big:big combination? It won’t cause suck, but it might enable it if there is a bit too much slack in it in some combinations.
What's so funny about peace, love and understanding?

« Reply #10 on: 15 January, 2022, 08:24:56 pm »
Thanks will have a look.  I think I sized with small-small through the derailleur, until the der arm just flexes down + allowing for missing/quick link use. 

« Reply #11 on: 15 January, 2022, 09:02:41 pm »
Thanks will have a look.  I think I sized with small-small through the derailleur, until the der arm just flexes down + allowing for missing/quick link use.
Shimano advocates big-big without going through the derailleur. It works for me using triples on my bikes.

« Reply #12 on: 15 January, 2022, 09:53:20 pm »
Thanks.  Will probably check big-big chain length, when I install slightly bigger small chain ring.

« Reply #13 on: Yesterday at 06:51:00 am »
I used to use "jockey wheels in a vertical line with front big and rear small".  These days, I use an online chain length calculator.  It seems to give the same result.