Author Topic: RIP Meat Loaf  (Read 1331 times)

IanDG

• The p*** artist formerly known as 'Windy'
    • the_dandg_rouleur
RIP Meat Loaf
« on: 21 January, 2022, 08:18:57 am »
 Heaven's waited long enough  :'(

Meat Loaf: Bat Out of Hell singer dead at 74

Re: RIP Meat loaf
« Reply #1 on: 21 January, 2022, 08:31:00 am »
Ah bugger.

And the last thing I see is my heart still beating, breaking out of my body and flying away, like a bat out of hell
<i>Marmite slave</i>

gibbo

• Riding for fun, cake and beer.
    • Boxford Bike Club
« Reply #2 on: 21 January, 2022, 08:48:29 am »
For me Bat Out of Hell was(is) one of the best albums ever. Still listen to it today.

« Reply #3 on: 21 January, 2022, 08:59:21 am »
For me Bat Out of Hell was(is) one of the best albums ever. Still listen to it today.

Same here, and I'll listen again whilst on the turbo this afternoon.  I was lucky enough to see it live, with Ellen Foley accompanying, in a small theatre in Aberdeen (Google tells me the Capitol, although I thought it was the Rose), in 1983/4. The place shook - though not as much as the balcony at the Portsmouth Guildhall when Showaddwaddy played there!

"We were glowing like the metal on the edge of a knife..."
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #4 on: 21 January, 2022, 09:04:50 am »

I think it might get played this evening when I take my daughter to her ballet class.
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #5 on: 21 January, 2022, 09:34:09 am »
Never noticed him. RIP.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #6 on: 21 January, 2022, 09:52:47 am »
Not much of a fan but it's a good excuse to listen to something I wouldn't otherwise listen to.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Re: RIP Meat Loaf
« Reply #7 on: 21 January, 2022, 04:00:42 pm »
MrsH really likes his music, so we've seen him live a few times. Always put on a good show.
One we went to probably over a decade ago was his first after the one where he'd collapsed on stage with heart problems and been whisked off to hospital.
His first appearance on stage was being wheeled on lying on a hospital trolley by a couple of scantily clad "nurses"  :)

Always a good showman, RIP.

« Reply #8 on: 21 January, 2022, 06:08:14 pm »
ISTR that Terry Pratchett picked 'Bat out of Hell' as one of his songs for Desert Island Discs, saying something to the effect that it's one of those songs that has you rather further along the road at its end than you might have anticipated.  ;D

And of course, 'Soul Music' has quite a few Meat Loaf-related Easter eggs in it, some less obvious than Josh Kirby's cover artwork...

* While failing to find PTerry's exact words, I did find a thread on a Meat Loaf fan forum which features some Discworld-themed spoof Meat Loaf song lyrics purloined from a Pratchett news group:

https://www.mlukfc.com/forums/showpost.php?s=c3ad3650c3f306cd622e5f7dfbe2114d&p=175755&postcount=5
"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche

« Reply #9 on: 21 January, 2022, 07:54:18 pm »

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #10 on: 21 January, 2022, 07:57:05 pm »
Not a fan,, but ,,,,RIP.
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #11 on: 21 January, 2022, 08:17:03 pm »
RIP.

Flatus, of course, prefers his cousin, Meat Spin.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #12 on: 21 January, 2022, 08:23:55 pm »
“Bat Out Of Hell” was forever ruined for this Unit by the actions of fellow custardian Steve Price, who played the entire album twice a day for the whole of the 1979-80 skool year.  And when it wasn’t that it was the “Grease” OST.  I expect he's now the hon sec of a tenis club and serve him rite no fate is too bad.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #13 on: 23 January, 2022, 11:33:36 am »
Possibly of COVID (or with it - depending on your slant)
It is simpler than it looks.