Author Topic: Varifocals, prescriptions and pupillary distance  (Read 6823 times)

Re: Varifocals, prescriptions and pupillary distance
« Reply #25 on: 28 January, 2022, 06:11:50 pm »
Strong prescription varifocals here. £546 recently for two pairs. (Titanium with bendy flexi hinges).
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #26 on: 29 January, 2022, 08:04:31 am »
You can measure PD quite accurately with a pair of glasses and a marker pen.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

« Reply #27 on: 29 January, 2022, 03:12:35 pm »
Today I called in on a couple of other opticians to get an idea of whether the first optician's prices were typical. It seems they are - £400, 500 and up. I didn’t really find the alternative opticians very helpful on the frame choice front so went back to the first for some more trying on of frames. Not a single one strikes me as being “right”. But I did settle on a strong contender - and the price for varifocal lenses, scratch resistant, anti-reflective, with those frames was £730.

I just can’t see how that is justified. I think that’s more or less twice what I paid for my existing glasses, similar spec, 6 years ago. The frames in question are sort of half framed Silhouttes which I am not certain about in any case.

Back to the drawing board. I’m reluctant to go down the online route with varifocals; I can see it working for a reglaze when you can send your existing glasses to them for the PD and height. But that assumes your existing glasses are correct.

« Reply #28 on: 30 January, 2022, 05:23:48 pm »
I’ve no personal experience of them, but Asda & Costco both have optician services which have a reputation for good service & value for money.
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

« Reply #29 on: 31 January, 2022, 02:40:40 pm »
I made sure I received my measurements info when purchasing specs recently as I intend to try Asda next time. They seem to have fixed pricing for most things. Only certain branches have Optical services so check before you travel (Doh!). On line providers seem to service the distribution curve median range only. Not sure about Costco being any cheaper but worth a look as I am a member.
Looking at some of the prices quoted above I seem to have done well which makes it a tad less painful.   :-)
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

« Reply #30 on: 26 February, 2022, 08:57:05 pm »
Well I eventually bought new glasses.

Fucking hate them.

Going to have to start again.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #31 on: 26 February, 2022, 09:40:19 pm »
Well I eventually bought new glasses.
Fucking hate them.
Going to have to start again.

Sorry to see this!
Can you list points where these glasses don't 'work' to prevent future problems?

« Reply #32 on: 27 February, 2022, 08:43:23 pm »
If these are your first varifocals, they really take a while to get used to them. A case of 'reprogramming' your brain I think.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #33 on: 27 February, 2022, 08:55:19 pm »
My first varifocals were dreadful!
The optometrist, in his wisdom, had decided to undercorrect my myopia by 0.25D, leaving me unable to read the surtitles at an opera we attended.I needed full-strength distance correction.

Buying single vision distance glasses was inexpensive and MUCH better!

« Reply #34 on: 28 February, 2022, 08:15:40 pm »
Two problems really.

There is no doubt that, overall, the lenses are what I need. Middle and longer distance is great. But the reading end of it is not so good. The optometrist did warn me about this, and was of the view that it would be best to use my existing glasses for this (they are “office glasses”, good for close work and up to the width of a small room, lets say). But I am finding that I don’t want to have to use 2 sets of glasses. It could be that some further adaptation is needed - I think I need to get used to keeping my head still and looking down with my eyes more. And the truth is that I have not really allowed time for that adaptation at reading distances.

Which brings me to problem 2, the reason why I haven’t put the time in with them: I don’t like how they look. I like them less and less. They fit well, of that there is no doubt, and not many frames do. They sit well on my glasses-unfriendly hooter, often a problem, and in theory they are the right shape for my face, and all that. But I just can’t get used to them. I’ve gone from something much like this (random google find)
https://pretavoir.co.uk/collections/starck-glasses/products/starck-sh1365x-0022
To metal frames, roundish lenses and they just make me look... not me.

I also need prescription sunglasses so I am toying with the idea of seeing if these frames would be better suited to that purpose.

The new ones are excellent for one specific request that I had - that they work well at 3.5m, the distance to my TV.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #35 on: 28 February, 2022, 08:26:55 pm »
I can understand frames not suiting but that's obviously too bad now.
My experience with varifocals was that that the optical 'sweet spot' was very narrow, both vertically and horizontally, which meant much neck movement, which I dislike.

I don't think using just one pair of spectacles is always a realistic prospect past the age of 50 for some people. (I'm fine at home, spending much of my day glued to my seat and laptop…)

« Reply #36 on: 28 February, 2022, 08:56:14 pm »
If you don't mind me asking where were they from & what did they cost ?   I need a ballpark figure for new ones.

I think I'm going to have to replace mine shortly.  Becoming increasingly bad for reading & screen work,  and there is now a pattern of scratches(?) all over them which is annoying.  Looks like the anti reflective coating or whatever is crazing up.  If you run a fingernail over the lens you can feel it.

Carlosfandango

• Yours fragrantly.
« Reply #37 on: 28 February, 2022, 09:21:34 pm »
Two problems really.

There is no doubt that, overall, the lenses are what I need. Middle and longer distance is great. But the reading end of it is not so good. The optometrist did warn me about this, and was of the view that it would be best to use my existing glasses for this (they are “office glasses”, good for close work and up to the width of a small room, lets say). But I am finding that I don’t want to have to use 2 sets of glasses. It could be that some further adaptation is needed - I think I need to get used to keeping my head still and looking down with my eyes more. And the truth is that I have not really allowed time for that adaptation at reading distances.

Which brings me to problem 2, the reason why I haven’t put the time in with them: I don’t like how they look. I like them less and less. They fit well, of that there is no doubt, and not many frames do. They sit well on my glasses-unfriendly hooter, often a problem, and in theory they are the right shape for my face, and all that. But I just can’t get used to them. I’ve gone from something much like this (random google find)
https://pretavoir.co.uk/collections/starck-glasses/products/starck-sh1365x-0022
To metal frames, roundish lenses and they just make me look... not me.

I also need prescription sunglasses so I am toying with the idea of seeing if these frames would be better suited to that purpose.

The new ones are excellent for one specific request that I had - that they work well at 3.5m, the distance to my TV.

You're so vain.

But seriously, there's only a certain range of vision that varifocals can compensate. When your prescription exceeds what is possible you have to make compromises. In the end you may find 2 pairs of glasses more acceptable. One pair for reading, one for distance.

Alternatively, you could try "varifocal" contact lenses, especially if your "hooter" is a problem, though in my experience these are even more problematic.

Really, it's all about coming to terms with ageing. Good luck.

« Reply #38 on: 01 March, 2022, 07:09:05 am »
I'm not sure you are right about varifocals only compensating for a specific range. I found with the several pairs I've owned that the comfortable clear vision is in roughly an hourglass shape. So the middle distance has the least coverage. That's the distance for computer use and I work all day to desk. So I have a pair of glasses specifically for work. Single vision optimised for screen distance.
For all of the use general daily wear, I use my very focals and have no problems reading, seeing the distance, etc
<i>Marmite slave</i>

ian

« Reply #39 on: 01 March, 2022, 10:15:31 am »
I hate these varifocals when I got them, and was in most of a mind to send them back, but life intervened and resulted in inadvertent perseverance.

Anyway, I'm now happy with them now, my brain has figured out how to position my head to look through the correct area of the lens. Seems fine with the computer, reading and for distance vision. Owl-like positioning of your head to optimize the process is something your brain as to learn, but eventually it becomes automatic.

Multifocal contacts lenses, on the other hand, have been awful, I'm not sure what they're supposed to do, but in my experience they don't (I do have very high prescription though, it takes light so long to get through any lens that I'm seeing the past).

« Reply #40 on: 02 March, 2022, 02:45:30 pm »
I've tried mono-vision contacts and multi-focal contacts. Awful, and I have a pretty low prescription. Varifocal FTW, and luckily I manage with only 1 pair, even sitting at screens most of the day.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

« Reply #41 on: 04 March, 2022, 10:33:20 pm »
Ouch, that was an expensive day. £548 for varifocals & £50ish for a pair of reading specs.
Boots in Liverpool. I told them I’d think about it & they said they could give me a 20% discount, but only if I ordered there & then.   I suspect their pricing & discount schemes are just to confuse people. 
Top of the line Zeiss lenses & a pair of fairly standard gold coloured frames from their “designer” selection.

« Reply #42 on: 05 March, 2022, 07:46:45 am »
That £ sounds about right. And yes, opticians have mastered the art of confusion for the customer, but staying the right side of consumer law.

I gave up on varifocals some years ago although I can't remember why (probably cost). I have happily been using bifocals since.
Having said that, in recent months I've been using eBay sourced reading glasses for my phone and for reading. I've just ordered a £4.49 half-moon pair to try, for when I'm sketching.
Ebay reading glasses from UK suppliers seem perfectly good to me (and, yes, I know my prescription).
Too many angry people - breathe & relax.

« Reply #43 on: 05 March, 2022, 09:13:28 am »
You’d think that it’d be all computer controlled when producing the lenses and that the cost wouldn’t be any more than single vision etc.

« Reply #44 on: 05 March, 2022, 09:58:34 am »
You’d think that it’d be all computer controlled when producing the lenses and that the cost wouldn’t be any more than single vision etc.
Most single vision are 'off the shelf' and just cut to fit the frame. They get more expensive if you have astigmatism combined with long or short sightedness.

Most varifocals are bespoke lens grind and polish.

Economies of scale and all that.

I'm not convinced by the premium prices for 'high density' lenses (which are essential for high strength lenses). It is all just plastic and seems that it would be as cheap to make all lenses with high refraction index plastic.
Using low refraction plastic for some and high for others strikes me as being a way of making money.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

ian

« Reply #45 on: 05 March, 2022, 01:16:36 pm »
Mine cost about £750 with all the markups – the biggest leaps, if I recall, were for the high-refractive-index lenses and seamless multifocalism (they probably have a better name for that). There's no real way to make an informed decision, is there really any difference other than £150 between the branded lenses etc. and the basic HRI lenses? They just shoved the brochure in my hand. The staff are there to up-sell and, I assume, work to a degree of commission hence their urgent need to sell you 'designer' frames (just normal frames that cost £50 extra because they say Calvin Klein or somesuch on them).

« Reply #46 on: 05 March, 2022, 01:38:34 pm »
Most single vision are 'off the shelf' and just cut to fit the frame. They get more expensive if you have astigmatism combined with long or short sightedness.

Most varifocals are bespoke lens grind and polish.

Economies of scale and all that.

I'm not convinced by the premium prices for 'high density' lenses (which are essential for high strength lenses). It is all just plastic and seems that it would be as cheap to make all lenses with high refraction index plastic.
Using low refraction plastic for some and high for others strikes me as being a way of making money.

But is this grind and polish done by hand or someone just enters the numbers into a machine a bit like CNC for lenses?  Economies of scale is often just the cost of tooling etc forming a smaller and smaller part of overall costs, plus your making full use of your wage slaves.  You can also have less profit per item to cover your fixed costs. Once you have the tools in place and the tools can easily be used to produce varifocals (without massive disruption to single vision batch production) then you are also benefitting from the scaling.

If the latter I can’t see where the several hundred pounds extra (above single vision) comes from. If the former and someone grinds and polishes varifocal lenses for 10 hours at £50 per hour, you can see where the cost comes from.

ian

« Reply #47 on: 05 March, 2022, 01:52:27 pm »
The basic lenses they do from stock on a machine you can see whirring away in the back of the shop (a garden variety Vision Express). For mine, they to order them from somewhere else (presumably wherever these are made, mine are Zeiss lenses) – aspheric grinding and the ZEISS computer-assisted OPTIMA technique, apparently.

https://www.zeiss.co.uk/vision-care/better-vision/understanding-vision/how-are-spectacle-lenses-manufactured.html

« Reply #48 on: 05 March, 2022, 02:33:25 pm »
I was quoted a 3 week delivery as the lenses are made to order in Germany.

ian

« Reply #49 on: 05 March, 2022, 05:00:05 pm »
Pretty sure mine took that long too. They did, for the money, do a good job.