Author Topic: The Winter Olympics 2022  (Read 8842 times)

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
Re: The Winter Olympics 2022
« Reply #50 on: 20 February, 2022, 03:00:56 am »
The curling….
It is simpler than it looks.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #51 on: 20 February, 2022, 04:01:45 pm »
Son & partner/partner's family were up bright and early cheering on the Battling BRITISH FINNISH Boys in the Ice Hockey. I think they enjoyed it.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #52 on: 20 February, 2022, 04:32:24 pm »
I'll admit to not taking a great deal of interest in the Olympics but have heard that equipment in the sliding sports are being blamed for not being as advanced as other nations.  If this is the case is there an argument for standard bobsleighs, skis, skates etc being issued by the organisers?

I think there's a precedent for this is the summer Olympics where Laser dinghys are supplied.

Skates are very personal. I'd dare to state that the top end skates in speedskating are in principle all as fast. You'll have to choose the skate fitting best to your style and feet. Also the exact rounding of the skate has to fit to your technique.
Suits can be different but not to the extend that it makes a major difference, as long as a good taylor is employed to ensure that the suit fits exactly to the skaters body. Mind you, they are ultra tight, you're kind of shoehorned into them.

I had to have help to get into my race suit when my shoulder wasn't at its best, there is a reason why the skaters throw back hoods soon after crossing the line.

I think there is more debate in the Skeleton/Luge/Bob events where speeds are higher so drag reduction has a greater input to performance.
It sounds like the costs associated with buying/developing/building a top end sled mean the IOC and the national federations look at the cost reduction of Monobob and think that is a way to level the playing field a touch.
Given that GB track cycling got a quiet the haul of golds by throwing money and science at a problem I'm a little thoughtful about the IOC taking that approach. (Even if Argon 18s track frames seem to be fastest anyway.)

« Reply #53 on: 20 February, 2022, 05:49:35 pm »
Just to put it into perspective, a top level set of Viking skates would set you back about  € 1200,-, a top level suit € 200,-. Tailor made stuff could be a bit more expensive but costs will still stay limited.
What's expensive for top level skating are ice time and training camps. In my own racing days at regional level I'd buy myself a new pair of skates every 4 years (costing about half of the quoted sum) but I'd easily spend € 1000-  € 2000,- for training costs (ice time), travel and lodging with regional events and the occasional national level event.
For skaters from 'small' speedskating countries there used to be the Inzell academy where they could train together.

« Reply #54 on: 21 February, 2022, 04:27:17 pm »
For skaters from 'small' speedskating countries there used to be the Inzell academy where they could train together.

When UK "restarted" long track speed skating we stayed there (though not as part academy), I still tend to stay there when in Inzell.
We are lucky that most of the current top GB long trackers have places to train in Holland, some with trade teams, the middle bit (or which I like to think I sit) has to make do with short track and jumping on the ferry for Holland once a month. I also have a stock pair of Vikings :-)

« Reply #55 on: 21 February, 2022, 09:23:05 pm »

When UK "restarted" long track speed skating we stayed there (though not as part academy), I still tend to stay there when in Inzell.
We are lucky that most of the current top GB long trackers have places to train in Holland, some with trade teams, the middle bit (or which I like to think I sit) has to make do with short track and jumping on the ferry for Holland once a month. I also have a stock pair of Vikings :-)

I started out with Vikings and then switched to Viking boots with Maple blades.
UK restarted quite late. Way too late for a good young lady who was in the offing (at that time skating for Young Orange, having a UK father and Dutch mother). Later she won gold for the Netherlands at Olympic rowing (you may know her name ;) ).

Salvatore

• Джон Спунър
    • Pics
« Reply #56 on: 22 February, 2022, 03:00:59 pm »
Son & partner/partner's family were up bright and early cheering on the Battling BRITISH FINNISH Boys in the Ice Hockey. I think they enjoyed it.

The word to us in such circumstances is "Torille!"

https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Torille%21
et avec John, excellent lecteur de road-book, on s'en est sortis sans erreur

« Reply #57 on: 22 February, 2022, 11:04:24 pm »
UK restarted quite late. Way too late for a good young lady who was in the offing (at that time skating for Young Orange, having a UK father and Dutch mother). Later she won gold for the Netherlands at Olympic rowing (you may know her name ;) ).

I don't know the name, I can see four possibilities and a process of elimination makes me think Maaike Head.
Seems to be some Rowing/Skating cross over, when we have the "launch" event in Inzell we had a rowing (and cycling) gold medallist come to try long track.

« Reply #58 on: 23 February, 2022, 06:08:26 am »

I don't know the name, I can see four possibilities and a process of elimination makes me think Maaike Head.
Seems to be some Rowing/Skating cross over, when we have the "launch" event in Inzell we had a rowing (and cycling) gold medallist come to try long track.

And that's the correct answer ;).
We used to race and train on the same track.