Author Topic: Russian participation in sport  (Read 9338 times)

Re: Russian participation in sport
« Reply #50 on: 19 March, 2022, 02:08:01 pm »

I think it's about time to get rid of nationalism in sport.
Individuals should represent themselves. For team sports, it's a bit more complicated, alternatives include works teams, towns, organisations such as charities.
So no more flag waving or national anthems or medal tables.

How would the individuals fund themselves?

By getting real jobs, like in the Olden Days ;)
Not that easy.  ::-) Times have changed, and things are more expensive didn't you know. ;)

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #51 on: 27 March, 2022, 12:03:58 am »

I think it's about time to get rid of nationalism in sport.
Individuals should represent themselves. For team sports, it's a bit more complicated, alternatives include works teams, towns, organisations such as charities.
So no more flag waving or national anthems or medal tables.

How would the individuals fund themselves?

By getting real jobs, like in the Olden Days ;)
Not that easy.  ::-) Times have changed, and things are more expensive didn't you know. ;)

Posh people will be able to do that National Sport,  like in the Olden Days ;)
It is simpler than it looks.

« Reply #52 on: 27 March, 2022, 06:53:12 am »
...and Eddie the Eagle

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #53 on: 27 March, 2022, 07:29:44 am »
Aren't the good ones mainly paid by sponsors?  FWIW, advertising, as on shirts, that merely involves the company name has always seemed like very poor VFM to me.  Ok, brand awareness, but how much is that worth?  I know Vauxhall exists but it makes me no more likely to buy one.  I suppose fans of the sportsperson may feel loyalty to that brand.  Do a lot of Man City fans fly Etihad?  ???
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #54 on: 27 March, 2022, 03:44:44 pm »
FWIW, advertising, as on shirts, that merely involves the company name has always seemed like very poor VFM to me.  Ok, brand awareness, but how much is that worth?

Quite a lot, because it's something that's easy to measure (by asking a focus group to name brands or similar), and as in all things once you establish a performance metric, the job becomes about gaming that metric.  Whether that awareness translates to sales is largely irrelevant; the advertising people have proof of the 'effectiveness' of their campaign, and get paid.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #55 on: 27 March, 2022, 06:40:00 pm »
I've never flown Eithad, but I know they sponsor Man City. I've never owned (quite possibly never driven) a Vauxhall, and I don't know who they sponsor. But I have flown Emirates... even though they sponsor Arsenal  ;) .
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #56 on: 27 March, 2022, 08:11:14 pm »
FWIW, advertising, as on shirts, that merely involves the company name has always seemed like very poor VFM to me.  Ok, brand awareness, but how much is that worth?

Quite a lot, because it's something that's easy to measure (by asking a focus group to name brands or similar), and as in all things once you establish a performance metric, the job becomes about gaming that metric.  Whether that awareness translates to sales is largely irrelevant; the advertising people have proof of the 'effectiveness' of their campaign, and get paid.

I do sometimes wonder what the sponsors of pro cycling teams hope to gain.  As TV's Alexei Sayle put it: “Do they really think I'm gonna go to America to post a letter?”  That's if you know what their The Product is at all.  See also: BWT plastering their name on F1 cars.  If you have to Google them…
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #57 on: 27 March, 2022, 08:51:11 pm »
I look forward to a pro mountain biking team being sponsored by Picolax.  Goes like [That's enough - Ed.]

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #58 on: 28 March, 2022, 08:11:46 am »
I look forward to a pro mountain biking team being sponsored by Picolax.  Goes like [That's enough - Ed.]

...Teethgrinder?
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #59 on: 28 March, 2022, 08:43:54 am »
Given half the teams seem to be emirates or oil/chemical companies, sportswashing seems to be the name of the game in cycling team (unless you are Belgian I guess). The same applies to football shirts/stadia. Just getting the commentators to say Bahrain Victorious a few times a day on TV has to be worth something! :)