Author Topic: Progress (maybe)  (Read 2540 times)

Progress (maybe)
« on: 16 March, 2022, 07:57:04 pm »
Billions spent on a big new junction, on the usual economic model of saving a few minutes on thousands of car journeys.  And, a small sign of progress, it includes a separate bridge over the dual carriageway for pedestrians and cyclists.  However:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-tyne-60762169

(click to show/hide)
Sunshine approaching from the South.

First time in 1,000 years.

Re: Progress (maybe)
« Reply #1 on: 16 March, 2022, 08:21:37 pm »
That is shit

« Reply #2 on: 16 March, 2022, 09:10:54 pm »
I rode that way last weekend, just took the road over the roundabout. The cycle bridge is a lovely option to have if it's busy, but it's quite a detour.

cygnet

• I'm part of the association
« Reply #3 on: 16 March, 2022, 09:29:08 pm »
tbf the ramp will be <1:20 slope, and those images show a lot more genrous turning "circle" than most bridges of their ilk.

Parochial shit cycle provision: see this cycle route in this London (sign post on the left pointing right) now follow that route  :facepalm:
https://goo.gl/maps/DivEhDnfCwq7SdEq7

So yeah. progress.

I Said, I've Got A Big Stick

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #4 on: 16 March, 2022, 09:36:15 pm »
Yes, it could be worse.  Doesn't mean it's acceptable.

cygnet

• I'm part of the association
« Reply #5 on: 16 March, 2022, 09:40:47 pm »
Yes, now that is shit with dead turns and needless/deliberate obstruction of the landing space. The images of the Sunderland bridge show much wider turnings.
I Said, I've Got A Big Stick

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #7 on: 17 March, 2022, 05:41:01 pm »
tbf the ramp will be <1:20 slope, and those images show a lot more genrous turning "circle" than most bridges of their ilk.
This. It's not actual hairpins. It's shit but less shit than normal.

Unnecessary (cos you'll have your own local example) illustration of the older, shittier shit: https://goo.gl/maps/xbCkiAYNrYrqQshh8
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #8 on: 21 March, 2022, 04:10:54 pm »
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

« Reply #9 on: 22 March, 2022, 09:14:33 pm »
No, that's how to do it;
https://ipvdelft.com/projects/hovenring/

I liked it so much, I went round 3 times before moving on.
I am often asked, what does YOAV stand for? It stands for Yoav On A Velo

arabella

• عربللا
  • onwendeð wyrda gesceaft weoruld under heofonum
« Reply #10 on: 23 March, 2022, 10:25:40 am »
^  I particularly like the fact that the steepness of the slope up was considered and the road underneath consequentially lowered.  Thus sharing the ramps across all road users. 
And having it above (= daylight etc) rather than some horrible underpass.

We don't make cycling a very inviting prospect here in England (where I am at least), I can't speak for other parts of the UK
Any fool can admire a mountain.  It takes real discernment to appreciate the fens.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #11 on: 23 March, 2022, 10:48:16 am »
There's a lot of underpass love in some cycling circles, on the grounds that they're easier to build, tend to involve fewer ramps and to be straighter than bridges, but I prefer to be above ground. Underpasses, in addition to being dark, tend to attract litter, graffiti (tagging rather than artistic), junkies, pee and poo (human and animal), and occasional muggers.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #12 on: 23 March, 2022, 12:54:42 pm »
There's a lot of underpass love in some cycling circles, on the grounds that they're easier to build, tend to involve fewer ramps and to be straighter than bridges, but I prefer to be above ground. Underpasses, in addition to being dark, tend to attract litter, graffiti (tagging rather than artistic), junkies, pee and poo (human and animal), and occasional muggers.

I think it's possible to build underpasses that are less horrible, with nice wide sight-lines (so reasonably light, and fewer corners for the muggers, junkies and people who don't have access to a public toilet).  But that's probably more expensive, and requires considering the needs of pedestrians/cyclists, so is practically un-BRITISH.