Author Topic: Basel to Munich  (Read 1275 times)

keeks

• shooting from the hip ... because I am
Basel to Munich
« on: 07 April, 2022, 02:22:30 pm »
Hello,
I've got a tour lined up with my mate , we're starting off from Caen to Basel via velo route6 . From Basel the plan is to go to Munich. I would like to take in the Alps abit more . Looking at the map if we make our way to Breganz then go into the northern tip of the Alps so that we west of Innsbruck and then turn North to go to Munich . Or would it be better to go all the way to Innsbruck and train it to Munich.  I've toured lots before ....in France and I've bike packed in West Scotland . But the Alps are a different elevation all together . Whats it like to ride in the Alps? Are there very few mountain roads , the vast majority being along river valleys ? Also after a couple of days pushing out large elevations does the romance wear off so that your better off along the valleys with the just a day or two at height?.
I'm on my hardtail Sonder my mate is on an Oxford expedition type bike. And we're camping. Any thoughts appreciated

Keeks

Re: Basel to Munich
« Reply #1 on: 07 April, 2022, 05:17:29 pm »
When are you planning to go?  Passes won’t be open till sometime in June.

« Reply #2 on: 07 April, 2022, 08:17:41 pm »
If you go from Basel to Innsbruck, then the only major pass is the Arlbergpass (open all year), which is a long climb but nothing above 7%. For the rest, Northern Switzerland is pretty but not more mountainous than Scotland.

From Innsbruck to Munich, there is the Achenpass. This is barely a climb from the Innsbruck side with Innsbruck at 570m and the pass at 940m.

« Reply #3 on: 07 April, 2022, 08:26:23 pm »
Of course you can take detours, like the Silvretta Hochalpenstrasse (spectacular!) and avoid Arlbergpass. Other options are to go south and really take in the Alps. From Basel to Chur and then go for Lenzerheide, Julierpass, Berninapass, via Livigno to Bormio, Passo Stelvio, Reschenpass and you're back in Innsbruck. That latter option might be a bit ambitious ;-)

« Reply #4 on: 08 April, 2022, 08:23:24 am »
From Basel to Bregenz is fairly flat: a lot of it is along the Rhine or the Bodensee. The northern side of the Bodensee is probably more interesting, but there are ferries across if you want to change banks.

After Bregenz you have a choice of routes. The easy way would be to carry on east across the Allgau, this is very much the foothills of the Alps and, whilst pleasant countryside, no more than rolling. The more difficult way would be to go over one of the passes into Austria. The Arlberg isn't terribly interesting - it's got a motorway up it! - the Silvrettapass has been mentioned as a better alternative but I would probably take the Hochtannbergpass over to Reutte and then over Ammer Sattel towards Garmisch-Partenkirchen. I've never been over the Hochtannberg, but Ammer Sattel is one of the prettiest passes in the Alps, even though it isn't very high.

From Garmisch there is a very pleasant route to Munich through Murnau and alongside the Starnberger See.

« Reply #5 on: 08 April, 2022, 10:24:19 am »
If you're in Garmisch, take the cogwheel train up to the top of the Zugspitze, the view is stunning, the food is good and you can see Munich on a good day.

The other place you may want to visit is Füßen to see Neuschwanstein.

« Reply #6 on: 08 April, 2022, 10:45:02 am »
If you're in Garmisch, take the cogwheel train up to the top of the Zugspitze, the view is stunning, the food is good and you can see Munich on a good day.

The other place you may want to visit is Füßen to see Neuschwanstein.

Indeed, and don't forget Hohenschwangau when you are there.

If you go over Ammer Sattel the road takes you past Linderhof, which is my favorite of the Königsschlösser. Definitely worth visiting.

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #7 on: 08 April, 2022, 10:58:23 am »
From Basel to Austria, the other option to consider, which isn't too hilly, is follow the Trans Germany bike packing route as far as Koblenz (the swiss one), then turn south and head along the Aar, then hang a left onto the Limmat, Follow that to Zurich.

Something like the last 200k or so of: https://www.komoot.com/tour/94314320?share_token=aZJ9CrAaV3S8EnUxnq28m2gZI0OnVVK9thQnOc4TDJOTPe96F3&ref=wtd

It's pretty flat, and was very nice. The least interesting part is actually along the river from Basel to Koblenz. Note, the above route was chosen to for maximum chance of no ice, so it may take bigger roads when there is a cycle path available, so do check the map yourself.

The bit from Zurich to Liechtenstein is beautiful, once you get out of the city. But even riding along the edge of the lake in the sunshine can be lovely. From .li, go north to Feldkirch and pick up a route across the alps towards Innsbruck. I've only come down that pass (I hitch hiked to the top), but it was lovely descent. To innsbruck you can basically follow the Inn. There's a nice cycle path that avoids a lot of the traffic and is quite pretty.

Looks something like https://www.strava.com/activities/2587402712

J

--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

« Reply #8 on: 08 April, 2022, 12:46:13 pm »
+ 1 for following the Bikepacking Trans Germany route. The first 70km were mostly flat cycle paths and the occasional foray into slightly more technical sections. Then it becomes more undulating until after the 1000km point. One of the highlights for me was the ski resort at 817km, but there was so much variety along the whole route, from both a track perspective and the scenery, I would recommend following the route for as long as possible.

https://ridewithgps.com/routes/18032762

Heading on a more southern route into the alps, the scenery would be more stunning, but you would be working for it. Depends on your priorities, and time available.

Eddington: 133 miles    Max square: 43x43

keeks

• shooting from the hip ... because I am
« Reply #9 on: 14 April, 2022, 08:47:03 am »
Excellant feedback planning on late August by the time I get there. Let me read and ponder. I've also looked at the map and indeed the transport back and thought a ride over to Milan might be doable - especially as i can get one train back from Milan to Paris.