Author Topic: Interesting diversions please across Germany  (Read 1126 times)

Interesting diversions please across Germany
« on: 06 May, 2022, 11:09:01 am »
I am cycling from Rotterdam to the south of the Czech Republic in early June.  The komoot road cycling suggestion comes in at 1239km https://www.komoot.com/tour/760049299?ref=wtd.  I have 7 days to do the trip which is supposed to be a rough trial for LEL.  I therefore could do with another 200-300km.
 Where would you suggest adding to the trip that is worth cycling to/past and would give me the required distance?

BFC

• ACME Wheelwright and Bike Fettler
Re: Interesting diversions please across Germany
« Reply #1 on: 06 May, 2022, 01:13:40 pm »
You could divert from the Rhine onto the Mosel (very pretty) at Koblenz (very industrial) - to Trier then to Saarbrucken returning to the Rhine around Mannheim. The region (Saarland) is particularly French influenced having historically traded hands between France and Germany over many centuries.

Another diversion would be to the famous Bavarian castles but that is a lot further and a lot more gratuitous hills.

I have driven the Mosel valley which had the cycle route very evident from the valley road and plenty of camp sites (work, honest), never done the bit to Mannheim though.

« Reply #2 on: 06 May, 2022, 01:55:25 pm »
Seconding the Moselle. Very scenic, constantly changing, not industrial, good camping options, wine and beer another plus.

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #3 on: 06 May, 2022, 02:12:21 pm »
You could go to Bamburg from Wurzburg 🍺🍺  :P

« Reply #4 on: 06 May, 2022, 02:15:15 pm »
I've ridden from Hoek as far as Leverkusen, where my mother in law lives and we often stay, and quite a lot in the Leverkusen area.

Your route to Leverkusen is a bit different from mine but does intersect here and there, eg crossing into Germany at Kleve.

I'm sure there are many good routes through the Netherlands, but where I found it got less pretty was on the fringes of the Rhur conurbation.  Your route is mainly west of where I went - I was closer to the Rhine, via Xantern.  My route was OK but then got awful - lots of poor quality cycle track on pavement on boring, flat suburban roads - around Krefeld.  You may have got a good route through there but, if not, I would be concerned about the section from Krefeld, all the way through to where you hit the Rhine in Cologne, being largely busy, nondescript suburbia.

The Rhine from Bonn south will be pleasant, although you may find you have had enough of it at some point!

The bit that I know best is the Bergish Land / Sauerland, which is the area of low / medium hills to the East of Dusseldorf and Cologne.  It's very pretty and, given proximity to big cities, surprisingly quiet.  You could certainly find a fun 200-300km in there, while missing out what I think would probably be a dull strech from Krefeld to Cologne.  You could do worse than cut across from Krefeld to Wuppertal and then follow much of this 200km audax route I did last summer (would make most sense to reverse it)
https://ridewithgps.com/routes/37135527
You would then cut back to Bonn or Cologne from an appropriate point such as Dieringhusen or Wipperfurth to pick up the Rhine. 

A bit later on you go across the first control of this year's TCR.  The parcours there is promised to be very pretty, so you might fancy following a bit of that: 
https://www.komoot.com/plan/@50.8097320,14.1483800,9.000z?sport=racebike&waypoint=hl:3901972
I hope to know more about this bit by the end of July! 

Good luck with the ride!

Edit
This is my route from Hoek to Leverkusen, for reference.  I had some input from a friend who has ridden it a couple of times before.  I would recommend it, apart from Krefeld-Dusseldorf.
  https://ridewithgps.com/routes/5667370

« Reply #5 on: 06 May, 2022, 03:08:39 pm »
If I were you I'd head towards the Trier end of the Mosel to start with, then ride down down it as far as you wish before crossing the Hunsruck over to the Rhine. You don't have to go as far as Trier (though it is a very pretty town), but this section of the Mosel is definitely Germany's nicest river. For the Rhine, the best bit is between Koblenz and Bingen, so from where you join the Rhine I would cycle along the western bank to Bingen, then cut across the corner to cross it at Worms or Mannheim (better Worms, Mannheim is the most confusing town ever). From there I would stay south of your proposed route: Southern Germany is full of quaint towns and go can't really go wrong. If I have to suggest one not to miss it would be Dinkelsbuehl: Rothenburg ob der Tauber is the famous one but horribly touristy.

From there cross over to the Czech Republic towards, say, Domazlice - there is a nice but hard road over the top there which goes up over 1000m. Again in Southern Bohemia you can't really go wrong, Cesky Krumlov is probably the tourist trap but Ceske Budejovice is also very nice. Then I'd rejoin your route somewhere before Olomouc. Don't miss out Olomouc - one of my favorite towns.

Karla

• car(e) free
    • Lost Byway - around the world by bike
« Reply #6 on: 06 May, 2022, 03:16:29 pm »
I see you're already going through Worms; make sure to take a look at the Reformation memorial and the cathedral.

You're missing out Leipzig; perhaps you could go there and have a look at the Thomaskirche and any other Bach attractions?

In Czechia, head 12 km south when you're in Kolin, about 60 km east of Prague.  You'll get to Kutna Hora, where the Sedlec Ossuary is well worth a look.

BFC

• ACME Wheelwright and Bike Fettler
« Reply #7 on: 06 May, 2022, 03:28:46 pm »
Beware of the train/tram tracks to the north of Koln, and anywhere else that industry becomes prevalent (along the Rhine and Rhur).
The Kolsch (Koln specific very hoppy lager) is very refreshing on a warm summers day.
The Eiffel region (south of Koln) is best avoided on bikes - too many petrolheads playing around/trying their cars out on the hills (Nurburgring).

If there is a cycle path available German drivers are not expecting to encounter a cyclist on the road, but are not a problem when they do (IME), I often put a bike in the car when on work trips.

« Reply #8 on: 06 May, 2022, 03:44:53 pm »

You could go to Bamburg from Wurzburg 🍺🍺  :P
A'hem, Bamberg!
Seconded! Not only does the town have plenty of small breweries producing some excellent and unusual beers, but the town is beautiful too, having avoided the US/RAF's attentions in WW2.
Haggerty F, Haggerty R, Tomkins, Noble, Carrick, Robson, Crapper, Dewhurst, Macintyre, Treadmore, Davitt.

« Reply #9 on: 06 May, 2022, 04:24:05 pm »
Thank you. I have dozenth Mosel before but it could be a good addition.  Frank, thank you so much for the advice and route. First hand experience is always good.

Chris

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
« Reply #10 on: 06 May, 2022, 04:35:04 pm »
Chris, I live in Kreis Viersen which is NW of Düsseldorf and very close to Krefeld, so I have local knowledge of the Kleve/Xanten/Düsseldorf triangle. As Frank said, avoid Krefeld like the plague - it's only 6km from here and I NEVER cycle there. There are loads of lovely places to ride. If you are passing though, we can meet for cake (I know all the good cafes within 50km from here...)

I would also recommend the Mosel, the Rhein between Koblenz and Bingen but even as far as Mannheim, and also the idea Bamberg/Würzburg/Dinkelsbühl which is the Main Radweg and the Romantische Straße (the Romantic Road). I've done it by bike years ago and it was lovely. In fact we are doing the Romantische Straße by car in mid-June on our way to Italy.

If you are anywhere near Leipzig it is worth a visit. You're also probably not thaaaat far away from Colditz which is interesting to visit, mostly because no Germans have heard of it!

Germany is good for cycling but there are some cycle paths which by law you have to use and you might get shouted at if you aren't using them: "Radweg!!!" I get shouted at sometimes when riding on the road in the velomobile even though it is allowed for velomobiles in Germany - the average motorist is not very aware of the rules... Some bits of Germany don't have much in the way of cycle paths - I think the Eifel and Sauerland don't have many - but where I am, 20km from the Netherlands, there is a very good cycle path network and you can travel at a reasonable pace on there, as long as you don't cross the border to Krefeld where you could baptise adults in the potholes.
My blog on cycling in Germany and eating German cake – http://www.auntiehelen.co.uk

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #11 on: 06 May, 2022, 06:06:01 pm »
Divert to Ingolstadt and burn down the Audi factory :demon:
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #12 on: 06 May, 2022, 07:10:21 pm »
Thank you all so much for the advice.  I have diverted away from the original route at Tielerwaard and go close to Venlo and use sections of EV4 down to the outskirts of Koln, Bonn, Koblenz, worms, Mannheim, Heidelberg, Waldenburg, Dinkesbuhl, Domazlice, Ceske Budejovice, Olomouc and my destination in the mountains.

this gives me 1427km with 11490m of climb.  I have 7 days to do it in and still get the train back to Prague to meet family off the plane.  I suspect that I will be slightly slower than LEL as I will have extra luggage and will have to find food, etc.  It will be a good test anyway and I will enjoy the challenge.
https://www.komoot.com/tour/760049299?ref=wtd

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
« Reply #13 on: 06 May, 2022, 09:10:02 pm »
You go within 5km from my house (Straelen/Wankum/Grefrath section just after the NL border) so if you need a pause, cake or somewhere to overnight let me know.

Right through the middle of Mönchengladbach won’t be much fun but there you go.
My blog on cycling in Germany and eating German cake – http://www.auntiehelen.co.uk

« Reply #14 on: 06 May, 2022, 09:38:53 pm »
I guessed as much but I live not too far from Gradbach and for some reason always associated the two places.

Thank you so much for the offer!  If we he weather turns biblical I may take you up on the offer.