Author Topic: Are Campag Ekar BB cups compatible with ultra torque cranks?  (Read 676 times)

BFC

• ACME Wheelwright and Bike Fettler
I have recently worked on a bike that has campag ultra torque BB system. The bearings had failed due to water damage, whilst it can't be proved I suspect the water got into the bearings from the inside of the frame past the pathetic white seals in the cups.

The latest campag "Ekar" gravel stuff has BB cups with a center tube to keep the water from the frame out of the BB bearings. Are Ekar and older ultra torque compatible?

Re: Are Campag Ekar BB cups compatible with ultra torque cranks?
« Reply #1 on: 03 June, 2022, 08:42:27 am »
Are Ekar and older ultra torque compatible?

Did you find an answer to this? Would be handy if they were compatible...
Those wonderful norks are never far from my thoughts, oh yeah!

BFC

« Reply #2 on: 03 June, 2022, 03:43:55 pm »
Are Ekar and older ultra torque compatible?

Did you find an answer to this? Would be handy if they were compatible...
I think it will be a case of buying a set of Ekar cups (from a supplier that accept returns reasonably easily!) and comparing to a set of ultra torque ones (that I have kept, seals shredded and threads rotten).

I could also do a test build on my vice mounted BB shell (68mm threaded) if I had a set of cranks.

BFC

« Reply #3 on: 03 June, 2022, 06:29:31 pm »
Ekar and ultra torque use the same fiddly bits - wavy washer, circlip and retaining clip according to campag parts listings, which implies that the bearing inner and outer diameters match. The ultra torque and ekar design is basically the same, but all "official" sources say the bits are different.

Ekar have stainless bearings, new part number (these fall between the steel parts and the high series ceramic parts) - is that the only difference or have they mucked about with the outboard seal surfaces as well?