Author Topic: Decal removal  (Read 1183 times)

Decal removal
« on: 01 June, 2022, 12:40:45 pm »
I'd like to remove the Deda decals from this seatpost:

The min insertion markings feel as if they are etched. The Deda decals feel like they are on the surface, and as you can see some have rubbed off inside the seatpost. How best to remove the rest please? The post itself is anodised, I believe, with a smooth surface.

velosam

• '.....you used to be an apple on a stick.'
Re: Decal removal
« Reply #1 on: 01 June, 2022, 01:25:17 pm »
Goo gone or WD40 to soak and rub off?

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
« Reply #2 on: 01 June, 2022, 01:53:20 pm »
If it's anything like to Deda stem I have it's screen printed as part of the manufacturing/anodizing process and not "stuck on"

My best guess is some sort of fine abrasive - perhaps 0000 steel wool with some thin oil as a lubricant.   

Worst case - paint over it (that is a serious comment) with a good quality spray enamel (allowing plenty of time for it to dry/cure)

« Reply #3 on: 01 June, 2022, 04:17:56 pm »
Abrasive may affect the black. If it is anodised then acetone or even paint stripper

« Reply #4 on: 01 June, 2022, 04:43:01 pm »
paint stripper

That’s what I was thinking of. I need to be sure it’s anodised and I haven’t found anything definitive. The Deda website only lists the silver version which is described as “polished”.

BFC

• ACME Wheelwright and Bike Fettler
« Reply #5 on: 01 June, 2022, 05:26:55 pm »
Try solvents (white spirit, brake cleaner, iso propanol, aerosol oil, hand cleaner) before going for aggressive chemicals.

Alkaline chemicals and aluminium should never be mixed if you want to use the aluminium bits again.

There are paint pens available as well (eg Edding 8750 or 751) - very useful covering scratches etc and for colouring in components (like the center bolt of hope headset top caps). Also very useful for black spoke nipples that lose their colour very readily during wheel repairs/adjustments.
The Edding paint pens are soluble in brake cleaner if you don't like the finish or it ends up going somewhere it shouldn't.

« Reply #6 on: 01 June, 2022, 05:30:16 pm »
If the solvents don't work, and you decide to remove it mechanically, something like Solvol Autosol or toothpaste might remove the white without damaging the black.

« Reply #7 on: 02 June, 2022, 09:57:47 am »
If the white is a layer on top of the black, eg ink/paint (soft) on black anodising (very hard), I would try scraping with a blade.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #8 on: 02 June, 2022, 03:14:15 pm »
Why bother?
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

TheLurker

• Goes well with magnolia.
« Reply #9 on: 02 June, 2022, 04:30:41 pm »
How about bathroom/kitchen cream cleaner like cif (other brands are available)?  They're usually safe for "plastic" baths so may be worth a try on a small corner/
Τα πιο όμορφα ταξίδια γίνονται με τις δικές μας δυνάμεις - Φίλοι του Ποδήλατου

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.