Author Topic: Word - am I outdated?  (Read 3990 times)

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
Re: Word - am I outdated?
« Reply #25 on: 23 June, 2022, 11:24:23 am »
Thus it will install humongous updates for the bits you don’t use as well as the ones you do.

This was my main gripe with having everything installed - especially back when I had a shit internet connection, I was finding it hogging all my limited bandwidth to install updates for apps I never use.  >:(
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

BFC

• ACME Wheelwright and Bike Fettler
« Reply #26 on: 23 June, 2022, 04:41:13 pm »
Building up to running a clone on the SSD before procuring a newer version of MSOffice, a version without Teams though!

Trying to figure when they stopped letting you turn off their auto "grouping" in outlook.

« Reply #27 on: 23 June, 2022, 05:06:04 pm »
At what point did they introduce .docx?
Edit: Office 2007 according to google.
I dont think older versions will be able to read those.
You'd need people to save in the old .doc format if using older.

See my post above.  W2K reads .docx format.

« Reply #28 on: 23 June, 2022, 08:27:31 pm »
Docx is xml under the skin.  There are features in the Word 13 and 16 docx files that are not supported in earlier versions of Word. Being xml it is easy to extend as that’s what the x is about. Sure earlier versions can import but the import is not a 100% faithful copy if you’ve used features first introduced in later versions.

There was a stand-alone word 2007 viewer released that could read docx amongst other formats. You didn’t need to install office at all if you just wanted the ability to read, print, or copy and paste text out of Word documents

« Reply #29 on: 24 June, 2022, 11:13:43 am »
Just purchased Office 2021 and now downloading.  Thanks Kim for drawing my attention to the bargain price.

« Reply #30 on: 24 June, 2022, 11:16:03 am »

If you buy it that way, do you get to choose which bits to install? It's probably different on Windoze but previously when I bought an Office licence direct from Microsoft, they forced me to download and install absolutely bloody everything. I later discovered that if you subscribe via the App Store, you can choose which bits to download - which means no Powerpoint for me, thank you very much. I currently have just Word, Excel and Teams installed.

The office professional download is 4.2Gb.  Just downloading at the moment (currently up to 1.3Gb) .  I'll let you know what comes up when I move on to the installation step. 

Edit - Just looking at the download links provided for the various versions, it looks like you download the whole caboodle regardless of version you've bought.

« Reply #31 on: 24 June, 2022, 11:24:22 am »
Download complete, not too painful time wise.

« Reply #32 on: 24 June, 2022, 01:16:00 pm »
Docx is xml under the skin.  There are features in the Word 13 and 16 docx files that are not supported in earlier versions of Word. Being xml it is easy to extend as that’s what the x is about. Sure earlier versions can import but the import is not a 100% faithful copy if you’ve used features first introduced in later versions.

Yes, I hadn't intended to imply that Word 2000 would support features that were only introduced in later versions.  In fact, I don't think I did.

« Reply #33 on: 24 June, 2022, 01:46:05 pm »

Yes, I hadn't intended to imply that Word 2000 would support features that were only introduced in later versions.  In fact, I don't think I did.

Indeed you didn’t, and it wasn’t a direct response to your post. I was just making a general comment that if people open docx with earlier Word versions, and the formatting isn’t spot on, it’s not that the import didn’t work, just that the docx was a document implementing newer Word features.

« Reply #34 on: 24 June, 2022, 03:52:33 pm »
It didn’t prompt for what to install and seems to be the Professional Plus edition gets installed even if you purchased a different version.  It prompts for activation key when you start your first office app. After that you are away. I uninstalled Teams as that’s junk.

« Reply #35 on: 26 June, 2022, 08:25:46 am »
Fairsoftware looks useful, thanks. Since the demise of softwaregeeks.com I hadn't bothered to find a replacement. I'll be upgrading my venerable 2010 as a result.

One thing, I notice that it says "Please uninstall all other Microsoft Office versions from your computer before installing your new Microsoft Office" - that seems potentially awkward, hav eothers done that?

« Reply #36 on: 26 June, 2022, 08:45:28 am »
I did that as when you try and install 2021 it prompts you to do it.  It installed seamlessly after I’d done that. Only used Excel, Word, and Outlook, and Publisher so far.