Author Topic: How to steal a bike  (Read 7463 times)

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
Re: How to steal a bike
« Reply #25 on: 27 June, 2022, 03:02:35 pm »
the more secure ones will need 2 cuts to open them

Part of me was disappointed that the lock I destroyed is not one of "the more secure ones" - after the first cut, I was able to wiggle it about enough to release it from the thick railing it was attached to.

However, another part of me was bloody relieved that I didn't have to do more sawing.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

« Reply #26 on: 27 June, 2022, 09:34:34 pm »
Touring's a special case IMHO, as the security concerns of your bags begins to dominate the problem. 

Touring is a special case, and my first question before responding was going to be "where are you touring?"

Cos the UK appears to be a special case with regards to bike theft. I'm very precious about my bike on tour, given that it's my only mode of transport and the whole trip will be fucked if it gets nicked. I insist on bringing it inside overnight if at all possible. This generally results in much hilarity from the locals. A real eye-opener was staying in a city-centre estate in Switzerland, the kind of place where in the UK you would have your bike nicked while you were actually on it, probably at knife-point. The locals left their (expensive) bikes outside locked with a cheap cable through the quick-release front wheel. European tourists will generally leave their bikes unlocked with panniers on while they wander round a tourist attraction for hours. No-one touches their stuff.

I really don't understand why the UK is so different. If you leave your bike outside overnight and it's really well locked up, someone will take your saddle, lights, even valves if they're removable. Even in the daytime if you're out of sight for ten minutes. A cantankerous old git once slashed both my tyres because he didn't like me locking my bike to street furniture near his house on a "tidy" street. Really, the UK has an odd psyche that sees bikes as fair game for theft and vandalism rather than someone's possessions.
Quote from: tiermat
that's not science, it's semantics.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #27 on: 27 June, 2022, 09:43:27 pm »
The other side of that is how frequently Brits are completely unsympathetic to the problem, and will insist that you leave your bike outside locked to a plastic drainpipe or something.  Even if it's a Brompton.  [Especially if it's a Brompton - Ed]

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #28 on: 27 June, 2022, 10:05:34 pm »
I thought the bike theft capital of the world was Amsterdam.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
  • Overseaing the building of the death star
« Reply #29 on: 27 June, 2022, 11:19:51 pm »
Bolt cutters will only cut so far, then the rest will shear. Probably due to the pressure being exerted, and how hard the steel is.

Check out the almax you tube videos and captain cropper.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #30 on: 28 June, 2022, 12:06:54 am »
A fair bit of how bolt-cutters work is indirect tensile splitting.

In the same way that squashing ‘a thing’ vertically makes it bulge horizontally, intense compression across the cross-section of a bolt (or lock) develops tension along the bolt’s axis locally. Build up enough compression and the bolt fails in tension between the bolt-cutter’s jaws. There are complicating behaviours but that is the major action.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #31 on: 28 June, 2022, 05:34:05 am »
Touring's a special case IMHO, as the security concerns of your bags begins to dominate the problem. 

Touring is a special case, and my first question before responding was going to be "where are you touring?"

Cos the UK appears to be a special case with regards to bike theft. I'm very precious about my bike on tour, given that it's my only mode of transport and the whole trip will be fucked if it gets nicked. I insist on bringing it inside overnight if at all possible. This generally results in much hilarity from the locals.

Brief schedule upthread, I'll be riding the KAW. Accommodation for 4 nights on my way round, and I've applied that same consideration. I called all 4 before booking and the bike will either be in my room, or their secure storage overnight.
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

« Reply #32 on: 28 June, 2022, 05:49:23 am »
Even the thickest and heaviest D lock can be cut with a angle grinder in under a minute. Although the more secure ones will need 2 cuts to open them.

The Hiplok D1000  is supposedly grinder "resistant".

https://yacf.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=123103.0
I think a Hiplock is what Stu had on his stolen Litespeed (See On The Road) from outside The Forum in Kentish Town.

StuAff

• Folding not boring
« Reply #33 on: 28 June, 2022, 09:18:02 am »
Even the thickest and heaviest D lock can be cut with a angle grinder in under a minute. Although the more secure ones will need 2 cuts to open them.

I think a Hiplock is what Stu had on his stolen Litespeed (See On The Road) from outside The Forum in Kentish Town.

It was: one of the cheap Pop jobs. With the benefit of hindsight, I'd have brought the Abus D-lock on tour (it wouldn't have slowed me down) and either argued the toss with any jobsworths who said a pannier was too big to take into the gig, or left the bike outside the digs (under CCTV and in front of security). But as it is, all I can hope is that the Met find it and/or I don't get screwed by insurance. Live and learn.

« Reply #34 on: 28 June, 2022, 09:33:12 am »

It was: one of the cheap Pop jobs. With the benefit of hindsight, I'd have brought the Abus D-lock on tour (it wouldn't have slowed me down) and either argued the toss with any jobsworths who said a pannier was too big to take into the gig, or left the bike outside the digs (under CCTV and in front of security). But as it is, all I can hope is that the Met find it and/or I don't get screwed by insurance. Live and learn.
If you're not already doing so, you should be looking at bikeshd.co.uk on a regular basis.
ETA - Although it doesn't look like it's working at the moment.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #35 on: 28 June, 2022, 10:27:47 am »
A fair bit of how bolt-cutters work is indirect tensile splitting.

In the same way that squashing ‘a thing’ vertically makes it bulge horizontally, intense compression across the cross-section of a bolt (or lock) develops tension along the bolt’s axis locally. Build up enough compression and the bolt fails in tension between the bolt-cutter’s jaws. There are complicating behaviours but that is the major action.

Thanks. That's surprisingly easy to understand! And it tallies with the visual evidence of my destroyed lock.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #36 on: 28 June, 2022, 11:16:12 am »
Yes, it is surprising. Usually I ramble around the point and don’t actually explain how something works.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

StuAff

• Folding not boring
« Reply #37 on: 28 June, 2022, 11:42:05 am »
If you're not already doing so, you should be looking at bikeshd.co.uk on a regular basis.
ETA - Although it doesn't look like it's working at the moment.

It's up on BikeRegister, stolen-bikes.co.uk, and bikeindex.org. Obviously scanning online fencing opportunities. I'm not hopeful, but you never know.

Zed43

• prefers UK hills over Dutch mountains
« Reply #38 on: 28 June, 2022, 12:42:41 pm »
Don't know about the UK, but I'll bet that in a few years time no-one will bother to steal a bike unless it's an e-bike or fancy/expensive looking carbon race monster.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #39 on: 28 June, 2022, 12:50:28 pm »
Don't know about the UK, but I'll bet that in a few years time no-one will bother to steal a bike unless it's an e-bike or fancy/expensive looking carbon race monster.

Given the opportunity bored kids will still steal what's available just to ride round the block and chuck it in the canal.  Fortunately, they're likely to be deterred by anything more than a pound-shop cable lock that's vulnerable to a repeated-kicking attack.  Unfortunately, they may opt to vandalise the bike instead.

« Reply #40 on: 28 June, 2022, 01:05:30 pm »
Unfortunately, they may opt to vandalise the bike instead.
Yes, I've had a bike nicked and one kicked to death, I'd rather they'd nicked it, at least it would have had some point.

« Reply #41 on: 28 June, 2022, 02:33:59 pm »
The only bike I leave locked (ubolt + cable) and unattended for any length of time is my 'doesn't-look-anything-special' 90's Saracen / utility bike - unless it's cafe stop in a rural area, then my 'ride bike' gets to spend some time alone (cable + padlock).
Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #42 on: 28 June, 2022, 06:45:08 pm »
My Thorn is now my "pub bike". I don't think Thorns look fancy to the uninitiated. Old-fashioned looking upright frame with flat bars and who wants something with hub gears? They went out with the ark...

I still lock it up with a pretty decent D-lock.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #43 on: 28 June, 2022, 09:03:43 pm »

I'm pretty sure about this as well. Whenever I park my bike (steel, custom-made, rim brakes, no "e", objectively a nice bike) , then my first thought is "all those e-bikes have more value in the second-hand market, no need to worry here". Even in large cities in the Netherlands, where bike theft used to be endemic, crappy bikes are pretty safe these days. The UK will catch up at some point as well.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #44 on: 28 June, 2022, 09:11:00 pm »
My Thorn is now my "pub bike". I don't think Thorns look fancy to the uninitiated. Old-fashioned looking upright frame with flat bars and who wants something with hub gears? They went out with the ark...

An untrained oaf might mistake it for a motor, thobut.

« Reply #45 on: 28 June, 2022, 11:08:48 pm »

An untrained oaf might mistake it for a motor, thobut.

Not for long, though ...

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
  • Overseaing the building of the death star
« Reply #46 on: 29 June, 2022, 10:54:01 am »

Oh I popped those with tools made on site when they were at the London BFF,
https://hiplok.com/product/hiplok-original/ can you see the simple flaw?

« Reply #47 on: 29 June, 2022, 11:12:10 am »
No I can't. Please point it out.

« Reply #48 on: 29 June, 2022, 01:25:17 pm »

You mean locking the bike to a No Waiting sign ?

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #49 on: 01 July, 2022, 01:16:26 pm »
My Foldylock arrived this morning, that's an interesting addition to a touring load, but I'm not sure I really want to leave my only transport secured by a 20yo Oxford cable lock.
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens