Author Topic: What have you fettled today?  (Read 2129590 times)

bobajobrob

What have you fettled today?
« on: 13 April, 2008, 10:39:24 pm »
I'll start us off. My dad and I fitted new worktops and sink in my kitchen today. After plumbing in the sink, we lifted it up a couple of inches to fit the clips that secure it to the worktop. One of the compression joints on the cold feed was not done up properly and it came apart, making a nice fountain in the cupboard under the sink for a couple of minutes before I could crawl in there and turn off the service valve. The kitchen was quite nicely flooded, and I spent the next half an hour mopping it up with towels and wringing them out in the drain outside. I'm sure there's a lesson to be learned there somewhere ;D

Re: What have you fettled today?
« Reply #1 on: 14 April, 2008, 09:46:10 am »
I stuck together a wooden dinosaur for my son this morning. One of those press out/stick together things that don't press out so well and the instructions require VERY careful focusing.

The hot glue gun I used got more glue on it than the model.

Still, quite impressive once assembled.

5-year-old son was not listening to the advice that it was really only to look at, so I suspect some regluing might be needed when I get back home...
Haggerty F, Haggerty R, Tomkins, Noble, Carrick, Robson, Crapper, Dewhurst, Macintyre, Treadmore, Davitt.

« Reply #2 on: 14 April, 2008, 10:16:24 am »
30m of cat 5e cable, through 3 walls and along a wall behind pyrocanthus bushes. I think I'm leaking.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

bobajobrob

« Reply #3 on: 21 April, 2008, 09:40:29 pm »
I had new carpets fitted in the hall, landing, stairs and front bedroom today. I was fitting some skirting boards in the bedroom and snapped a drill bit drilling into brick. I pulled the bit out of the wall and dropped it because it was hot, the tip was glowing red hot and melted a hole in the carpet. That'll teach me to use wood drills for masonry.

« Reply #4 on: 21 April, 2008, 10:31:18 pm »
Refurbed a bath tap and found a brilliant plumbers merchants. Total cost £1.
Stropping rocks

« Reply #5 on: 21 April, 2008, 11:00:59 pm »
Refitted a kitchen lamp, put up by someone who thought that screws into plasterboard provide a solid fixing. >:(

Gods save us from your average DIYer.  I really hope the wiring in Chez TimO was done properly.
Actually, it is rocket science.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #6 on: 22 April, 2008, 10:31:07 am »
Replaced a light bulb in the Great Hall.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #7 on: 22 April, 2008, 11:48:13 am »
Ahhhh,,,, I was looking for this Thread.

Saturday, the Dyson died :(  Only 7 years old and I'd been rating them on here (or there), and it looks like 7 years of DIY has killed it.

One Torx driver and an hour later I'd stripped it right down, sorted it out, and it's back as it was when brand new ;D

On Sunday I got fed up with the Bonsai trees always being dried out, so with the aid of an empty Dulux can, small hoses and plant drippers made an automatic water.   Mrs Nutty isn't too keen on the can wired to teh decking balustrades, but I'm sure it'll grow on her ;D

« Reply #8 on: 22 April, 2008, 08:28:17 pm »
have had to put some old pedals on best bike to try and track down a clicking noise "down below".
she was quite innocent, 'till she got that bicycle - sykurmolanir

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
« Reply #9 on: 22 April, 2008, 08:38:20 pm »
Damn.  I get back with a damaged Ting Tong to find that Sheldon's front mech is playing up....  >:(
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

« Reply #10 on: 22 April, 2008, 08:46:17 pm »
 :(

Front mechs on new bikes always seem to need a little fettle.

« Reply #11 on: 22 April, 2008, 10:11:50 pm »
I've tried to get the (new) washing machine to spit out the water and spin so that I can get my cycling kit out.
No luck so far and the slight whiff of hot electrics/onics isn't inspiring confidence.
Time to GSI I think.

RogerT

• Playing with a big steamy thing
« Reply #12 on: 23 April, 2008, 12:07:51 pm »
Fitted a new frame pump to the Dawes. ( that was not exactly technical )

Nutty, I share your enthusiasm for Dyson repairs, rebuilt our DC07 2 years ago after the builders had destroyed it. ( Dysons positively hate plaster dust )

Still going strong with a new motor from Flea bay.

« Reply #13 on: 23 April, 2008, 03:40:51 pm »
Busy rewiring the Utility Room (it's not the Kitchen, so it's less not legal!) to try and fit the new fridge in, otherwise I can't use the back door, since the fridge is sat there at the moment.

If I don't post on here for a while, and there's smoke and the smell of burning flesh from the direction of Croydon, someone send out an ambulance. ;D

« Reply #14 on: 23 April, 2008, 04:20:24 pm »
...correction, the fridge/freezer looks good where it is.  It almost killed me getting it there.  At one point I almost had to use my mobile phone to ring up someone 10 miles away, to come and get me out from underneath it. :-\

At some point I want to rearrange things, but that will require me moving a fridge/freezer, washing machine, dish washer, and tumble dryer, then shifting a kitchen unit, 6 foot of counter top, and reposition a couple of double way sockets and their wiring.  Somehow I don't fancy doing that this afternoon, mainly because the shifting of white goods turns out to be a major hassle!

rower40

• Not my boat. Now sold.
« Reply #15 on: 30 April, 2008, 08:24:57 pm »
At some point I want to rearrange things, but that will require me moving a fridge/freezer, washing machine, dish washer, and tumble dryer, then shifting a kitchen unit, 6 foot of counter top, and reposition a couple of double way sockets and their wiring.  Somehow I don't fancy doing that this afternoon, mainly because the shifting of white goods turns out to be a major hassle!
Why does this remind me of...
Quote from: Flanders and Swann, in a song called "High Fidelity"
If you raise the ceiling six feet, move the fireplace from that wall to that wall, you'll still only get the stereophonic effect if you sit in the bottom of that cupboard.

Meanwhile: I've not technically fettled anything today, but I've removed the evidence of a faerie visitation (*), and sorted the 19 remaining spare innertubes in my shed by which bike/trike/trailer each one fits.  And I've found that there are three wheels on my fleet for which I don't have any spares.

(*) Not a real one.  Just a manufacturing defect in the cheapo czech-made inner tube, where the valve came away from the surround.  The Bin Beckoned.
Be Naughty; save Santa a trip

Jacomus

• My favourite gender neutral pronoun is comrade
« Reply #16 on: 30 April, 2008, 08:54:51 pm »
Anti-fettled a door*, then spent 2.5hrs fettling it back into position.

Fettled the downstairs toilet U-bend. On the inside.  :sick:

* Our kitchen->Lounge door gently closes to if not propped open. I went through and into my housemates bedroom on the other side of the kitchen, on Operation Muthafcuking Payback Biatch. After a period of small talk as she was tidying up, an opportunity presented itsself and 1kg of flour was deposited down her trousers. In order to avoid immidiate, painful, retribution I departed at a cracking pace. Glanced backwards and ran into the door.

Luckily it opens into the lounge (my direction of travel) so I didn't hurt myself too badly, but the door didn't fare so well and the top hinge ripped out.
"The most difficult thing is the decision to act, the rest is merely tenacity." Amelia Earhart

Gus

• Loosing weight stone by stone
    • We will return
« Reply #17 on: 30 April, 2008, 09:24:49 pm »

switched handlebar and stem on my fixed steamroller. 
The original handlebar was way to narrow

bobajobrob

« Reply #18 on: 04 May, 2008, 04:25:53 pm »
This, in the kitchen. It's messy work and I've lots to do. I seem to be getting more adhesive on the outside of the tiles than on the underside.

« Reply #19 on: 04 May, 2008, 09:19:07 pm »
I actually fettled a bike, admittedly just to fit a new computer to replace the crummy Topeak one that couldn't withstand three wet commuting trips last week.

I'm quite impressed that all the modern computers seem to let you set the odometer mileage, so you can claim to have cycled some ridiculous distance!

IanDG

• The p*** artist formerly known as 'Windy'
    • the_dandg_rouleur
« Reply #20 on: 05 May, 2008, 10:16:33 am »
This morning I have added tape and saddle to my 'Saracen', adjusted the brakes and gears and blown up the tyres ready for a ride this afternoon. It's a rather tasteless clash of purple and yellow - I'll post pics later

« Reply #21 on: 05 May, 2008, 11:30:32 am »
Our loo is no longer overflowing at the cistern, and I stopped it making a horrible howling noise post-flush as well.  It only needed some PTFE tape and a tighten.  My housemates wanted to get the landlord to fix it ::-)

« Reply #22 on: 05 May, 2008, 02:02:35 pm »
the puncture is fixed in the wheelbarrow :)

« Reply #23 on: 05 May, 2008, 05:18:43 pm »
I quickly fettled the TCR before heading out ( air and break pad placement ) and a quick wipe down ( remember that Pumpe and Jaded ??  ;D ).
I am planning to install the rack from Mrs G's Specialized onto the Monsta Thorn after tea and fettle the Monsta for a commute to work tomorrow.

Gandalf

• Each snowflake in an avalanche pleads not guilty
« Reply #24 on: 05 May, 2008, 05:28:53 pm »
As part of the 'you bought a new bike and you owe me big time' garden makeover I have got the fountain going again.

I had such a good time today with the lovely weather I have declared summer officially open.

This is usually marked with a glass of Pimms and 'Summer in the city' by Lovin Spoonful given a good blast  ;D