Author Topic: What have you fettled today?  (Read 2166751 times)

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
Re: What have you fettled today?
« Reply #16550 on: 15 January, 2022, 08:18:40 am »

You've remnded me that I bought a mini CNC machine last year and have yet to use it play with it - but I have used the electric branding iron and custom brass stamp to mark some of the wooden items I've been making to sell (either "products" or bespoke commisions)

« Reply #16551 on: 15 January, 2022, 08:53:04 am »
I'm ever more considering getting one myself.

Though I'm spoiled with access to the work machine (that I'm learning to use almost entirely via YouTube and Google - I've only had one big crash!!)

It can take a sheet size of something like 1m x 0.8m.

But something I can fiddle with at home would be ace.
Miles cycled 2014 = 3551.5 (Target 7300 :()
Miles cycled 2013 = 6141.4
Miles cycled 2012 = 4038.1

« Reply #16552 on: 15 January, 2022, 10:44:40 am »
I've used the work CNC router for a number of projects, but haven't done the YACF logo on it. I did laser 'brand' it onto leather for a leather saddlebag, mudflaps and a hip-flask, which can be seen on the 'Wobbly Workshop' thread.

Work bought a newer CNC machine, but it is not as useable as the old one, which they gave away to another school.  >:(
If it ain't broke, fix it 'til it is...

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #16553 on: 15 January, 2022, 03:50:48 pm »
Trial fitted some red Restrap diagonal toe straps to an ancient pair of Raleigh 717 rat-traps.  All good, just need a few big M4 washers as they are designed for reflector holes on BMX pedals rather than rat-traps.  The cutouts on the 717 cages are, however, in just the right place.

These are for the (very slow) "proper" Moulton M4 resto, which really can't have SPDs.  It should have a Phillips pedal very similar to the 717, but I can't find any in halfway usable condition.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #16554 on: 15 January, 2022, 05:35:27 pm »
Fettled the wonky leg of the wheelbarrow so that it didn't keep falling over. \o/
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

« Reply #16555 on: 15 January, 2022, 07:00:24 pm »
Ceramics, epoxy resin, PVC, solder, heat-shrink.
It has been a multi-media kinda day.

« Reply #16556 on: 16 January, 2022, 07:27:56 am »
Not today, but yesterday. Washed bike, new chain, cleaned and regreased headset with excellent Morgan Blue Aquapaste.

Had issue with di2 rear mech not shifting properly mid-cassette. Noticed that jockey arm was not moving properly fore and aft and was sticking. Removed it and thoroughly cleaned and regreased the plate axle assembly. Noticed some pitting on axle so probably need to get a service kit soon. (about £13).  Doing this seems to have resolved problem.

Bartape on fixie was looking pretty shit so retaped. One side back, one side crazy NOS 1990s style tape I got for a quid. I think it looks pretty cool.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #16557 on: 16 January, 2022, 10:12:28 am »
Dashing away with a soldering iron I stole nobody's heart away, nor yet did I achieve anything else. :(
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #16558 on: 16 January, 2022, 05:57:29 pm »
Washed my trike, my fixed and my Moulton.

Replaced the wornout front Pasela on my trike with a part-worn Pasela from the garage pile. Tweaked the cable slot on the Shimano 600 cantilever brake to make it easy to pop out the over-thick braided straddle cable.

Flintmined the Moulton’s tyres and swapped them front and back. Conti Contact Speed 406 are as tight a fit as any tyre I can remember, despite being on the wheels for a long time with a thin rim tape on one wheel and Veloplugs on the other. RIP one plastic tyre lever. I might try the Contact Urban next time but I won’t get these again.

The chain on the Moulton has gone past 0.75%, which is disappointing. I have been commuting on it while my fixed is off the road but not for very many months. The KMC 11EL is supposed to be reasonably durable but seems a bit shit to me. The pivots on the rear Red eTap mech are feeling sloppier than I like. Time to keep this bike ‘for best’, otherwise I will be grinding unobtanium parts into oblivion. Fitted a new Miche cassette. The 114 link KMC chains in the stockpile are too short for my Moulton, so a new chain ordered.

Swapped out the buckled dynowheel on my fixed for my Frezoni’s dynowheel. Revived the battery taillight and adjusted both cantilever brakes. It will need some new front pads in a while. Found a used Deda drop bar in the garage parts pile and some cheap handlebar tape to swap out the bent handlebars tomorrow evening.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

« Reply #16559 on: 16 January, 2022, 08:16:12 pm »
Had a quick go stripping the dodgy paint from my new disc fork prior to painting. The brass brushes I'd got seems like they were being a bit vigourous so I'll swithc to sanding I think.

Reset the spacers to get the motor wheel back on the current fork on the folder.

And thought the brake was sticking but I think it was the pad catching on the rim so I stuck new pads on (after I'd removed the brake and fiddled with springs and cables). Quick test ride up and down the road and it seems ok now.
Miles cycled 2014 = 3551.5 (Target 7300 :()
Miles cycled 2013 = 6141.4
Miles cycled 2012 = 4038.1

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #16560 on: 22 January, 2022, 11:11:58 am »
Swapped out the silver 2 bolt stem on HK’s Moulton for a silver 4 bolt Velo Orange stem to allow an adjustable angle out front computer/ camera mount to be fitted. The GPS is above the mount and Ayup lights will be underneath, with the aid of a 3D-printed adaptor to the camera mount.

Fitted a fixed angle out front computer/ camera mount to HK’s winter trike. Eventually her winter trike, Moulton and Roberts will be able to interchange the same GPS and headlight, once another couple of mounts are acquired.

Laced a Kinlin ADHN rim from the garage stockpile onto the hub and spokes of my recently bent rear wheel of my fixed. Replaced the bent ITM drop bar (from the driver before Christmas) with an unbent SH Deda from the parts pile and wrapped it with new cheap black tape. Adjusted the rear brake to accommodate the wider rim and finally put in an inline cable adjuster (after many years of wanting to get round to it).

I need to free up the frozen seatpost and powdercoat the fixed’s frame sometime soon. The surface rust is getting more widespread and possibly not just surface any more. I need to replace the buckled rim on my fixed's dynowheel and will soon need to replace the nearly wornout rim on my Frezoni's dynowheel.

Mrs Pingu

• Twitter
« Reply #16561 on: 22 January, 2022, 04:36:34 pm »
Out of disorder, comes order.
Got my drill driver and jigsaw out and organised the woman shed  :smug:

IMG_4941 by The Pingus, on Flickr

IMG_4942 by The Pingus, on Flickr

IMG_4943 by The Pingus, on Flickr

Joak shed poster
2022-01-22_04-10-26 by The Pingus, on Flickr

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #16562 on: 22 January, 2022, 05:24:52 pm »
Good to be able to put away all that junk that might interfere with an opportunity for a bike ride...   :thumbsup:

Mrs Pingu

• Twitter
« Reply #16563 on: 22 January, 2022, 05:27:10 pm »
In a different building, to make extra sure  ;D

Feanor

• It's mostly downhill from here.
« Reply #16564 on: 22 January, 2022, 05:38:38 pm »
Now lock it, and throw away the key.

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
« Reply #16565 on: 22 January, 2022, 05:57:16 pm »
But how to get more gubbins in there where the key is gone?
Current mood: AARRRGGGGHHHHH !!! #bollockstobrexit

Mrs Pingu

• Twitter
« Reply #16566 on: 22 January, 2022, 06:02:01 pm »
Now lock it, and throw away the key.

Aw, not even for a rotorvator?

Mrs Pingu

• Twitter
« Reply #16567 on: 22 January, 2022, 06:03:46 pm »
Need the key to feed the worm composter anyway.

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
« Reply #16568 on: 22 January, 2022, 07:04:13 pm »
Out of disorder, comes order.
Got my drill driver and jigsaw out and organised the woman shed  :smug:

IMG_4941 by The Pingus, on Flickr

IMG_4942 by The Pingus, on Flickr

IMG_4943 by The Pingus, on Flickr

Joak shed poster
2022-01-22_04-10-26 by The Pingus, on Flickr

Looks good - but before going any further I'd line the interior with some 11mm OSB to strenghten it all - and if you're of a mind slip some insulation in while you're at it.  I did that to the new shed we had at our previous house and it made a real difference.  Lining is on my list to do for the existing shed we have at the current house (although removing the contents to do it will be a challenge)

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #16569 on: 22 January, 2022, 08:43:16 pm »
I sent an FW hub (in a Moulton wheel, so easily postable) off for repair, which grated a bit as I knew what was wrong and it's a hub I rebuilt myself, but the few people left with spares won't sell them for DIY.  Basically, it needed a new compensating spring as the one in the hub was tired (it had probably been parked in low gear for decades).

I fitted it back on the bike and it doesn't seem to slip under load in in 2nd any more, which was the issue.  It needs a good test up some hills.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

« Reply #16570 on: 22 January, 2022, 09:20:02 pm »
Popped 35mm Schwabe Supreme tyres on the Elan for winter. Practiced the patented 'no tyre lever' method - and still have working thumbs.

I must find a more flush nut for the rear mudguard seatstay crank bridge mount - the wheel comes forward out of the drops, and fouls on the current allen bolt - which stands too proud.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #16571 on: 23 January, 2022, 03:10:08 pm »
Replaced the excessively worn Etrex mount formerly on my fixed with an unused mount from the garage stockpile. It turns out that the old clip is actually fine but the back of my eTrex 30 is worn. I might need to swap the battery cover with another eTrex but they don’t seem to be available as a spare part.

Refitted the (shortened) rear mudflap that had been torn off off by a car before Christmas. The fixed is rideable again now but I still need to replace the buckled front rim so the borrowed dynowheel can go back on my Frezoni.

Failed to fit a new chain to my Moulton as the combination of big chainring, big cassette and long chainstays meant I needed a 118 link 11sp chain and I only had 114 and 116 link 11sp chains in the garage stock. They will eventually be used up on HK’s Kinesis which has a small big ring.

offcumden

• Oh, no!
« Reply #16572 on: 23 January, 2022, 04:47:05 pm »
I must find a more flush nut for the rear mudguard seatstay crank bridge mount - the wheel comes forward out of the drops, and fouls on the current allen bolt - which stands too proud.

I use a zip-tie in that place. Low-profile, rustproof, and unobtrusive. The small ones last for years.

Mrs Pingu

• Twitter
« Reply #16573 on: 25 January, 2022, 08:46:41 pm »
Scrubbed the cement dust off the scaffold plank. It cleaned up quite quickly, but it's going to be quite distressed looking.

Feanor

• It's mostly downhill from here.
« Reply #16574 on: 25 January, 2022, 11:58:55 pm »
The balance of the Universe is restored.

The stylus on my turntable was damaged by small children in the distant past.  This caused it to skate on records, and generally not work very well.
I have had it refurbished at a cost of £400; I was offered a boron cantilever upgrade for £600, but I declined that offer!

Refurbishing a moving coil cartridge is craftmanship at it's finest, and I doubt there are many people now who could to this.
Kudos to David Griffin at Goldring: https://www.goldring.co.uk/goldring-cartridge-repair.

It sounds like I remember it.
This copy of Dark Side is brand new, re-mastered and pressed on heavyweight vinyl; a Christmas present to celebrate the renewal of proper vinyl playback here at Feanor Towers.
Dropping the stylus onto the run-in groove and listening to it burst into life put a proper little tingle through me 🙂
The short video is on bookface, sorry!
https://www.facebook.com/100003815150503/videos/pcb.2484940674976413/471635574368739

Time to unleash the 600W of the 6-channel power amps!

Refurbished cartridge ready to install:

Asaka refurb by Ron Lowe, on Flickr

Aligning the cartridge using a protractor:

Checking the tracking force with milligram scales. I was surprised how accurate the markings on the tonearm dial are. It's set to 1.6g, and is pretty much bang on.