Author Topic: Podcast Series: Dr Andy Galpin on Andrew Huberman  (Read 2980 times)

Podcast Series: Dr Andy Galpin on Andrew Huberman
« on: 01 February, 2023, 07:43:49 pm »
If you're a podcast listener like me [it helps if you have a boring manual job:-), then I'm sure you're aware of Andrew Huberman - a Neuroscientist from Stanford University.

He's in the middle of a six part series with Dr Andy Galpin going into depth about all aspects of health and fitness, but not just directed at professional athletes [where he spends a lot of time] but with a view to trying to bring education about health, fitness and longevity to the masses.

Last weeks episode was all about strength training
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CyDLbrZK75U

and this week he's just released a 3.45hr podcast on endurance training.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oNkDA2F7CjM

There's a lot to take in[most of which many of you may already conversant with] and some it goes over me head, but the guy's a brilliant articulator and I'm finding the whole thing really fascinating.
There are a few sponsor breaks, but it's not too bad. Stick the kettle on.
Garry Broad

Re: Podcast Series: Dr Andy Galpin on Andrew Huberman
« Reply #1 on: 01 February, 2023, 09:36:26 pm »
Thank you. But a 4 hour podcast??

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #2 on: 01 February, 2023, 10:30:01 pm »
I suppose it's about endurance…

I seldom last an hour for this kind of thing and I'm grateful for the 'pause' button...

« Reply #3 on: 02 February, 2023, 05:48:35 am »
I seldom last an hour for this kind of thing and I'm grateful for the 'pause' button...

It's a lot easier with a boring manual job!
Plus there are timestamps if you want to jump around a bit.
You don't need to listen from start to finish.
Garry Broad

« Reply #4 on: 02 February, 2023, 08:56:33 am »
Something 30-40 mins would better suit the bill.   Can be digested whilst having lunch.

« Reply #5 on: 02 February, 2023, 09:47:10 am »
Agreed. I listen on the obligatory car commutes or whilst cooking. 1 hour is ideal as it is a days commuting plus walk from car park.

« Reply #6 on: 02 February, 2023, 01:29:02 pm »
Fascinating stuff.  Started from the first episode and so far everything is supporting the idea of combining strength (resistance) training with endurance for the best outcomes for overall health.  Makes sense intuitively and seemingly scientifically also.
The sound of one pannier flapping

« Reply #7 on: 02 February, 2023, 04:57:59 pm »
Yes. It seems we need to take get pretty much all 9 activities he talked about although I am not too fussed about hypertrophy

« Reply #8 on: 08 February, 2023, 07:28:04 am »
These are really good - thanks. Probably also worth listening to Inigo San Milan in Zone 2 and mitochondrial adaption for metabolic health. But the strength info is really useful for me given I’ve concluded that I need to do that for health now (I’m 57)

There is a comment on creatine supplementation at the end of the strength etc podcast. If anyone plans on trying creatine I’d suggest monitoring blood pressure. After a month on 5g/day I idly checked mine in morning at 145/88. Stopping the creatine led to a fall to 116/76 the next morning and stability since. At some point I might try it again, with daily monitoring, but it seems there may be a small subset of people where creatine raises blood pressure (might be those of us with little muscles!)

« Reply #9 on: 08 February, 2023, 08:18:14 am »
And I found out that 3 sets of 20 loaded squats isn’t the correct protocol for strength!

« Reply #10 on: 08 February, 2023, 09:25:12 am »
And I found out that 3 sets of 20 loaded squats isn’t the correct protocol for strength!

For barbell squats I stick to 6 reps of each weight, starting with unweighted bar & up to current max in 10k increments.  That seems plenty!

« Reply #11 on: 08 February, 2023, 09:59:39 am »
Will give this a listen.

My problem is minor strains - I don't need to do much to strain some muscle. That stops me from doing exercise, which means I get flabbier, so next time I exert myself, I strain something, which means that . . .

Thinking of joining a gym. There is one 10 miles away.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #12 on: 08 February, 2023, 10:58:22 am »
.. everything is supporting the idea of combining strength (resistance) training with endurance for the best outcomes for overall health.
This conclusion has been around for ages.

I'll continue doing my circuit (gym) workout, concept2 rowing and cycling.

« Reply #13 on: 08 February, 2023, 02:40:50 pm »
.. everything is supporting the idea of combining strength (resistance) training with endurance for the best outcomes for overall health.
This conclusion has been around for ages.

I'll continue doing my circuit (gym) workout, concept2 rowing and cycling.

Well indeed.  What's added in these podcasts is a summation of the latest studies.  Always good to have more evidence.

« Reply #14 on: 10 February, 2023, 08:34:16 am »
Something 30-40 mins would better suit the bill.   Can be digested whilst having lunch.
I agree. If there was a heavily edited version, I'd listen to it.

« Reply #15 on: 22 February, 2023, 04:21:39 pm »
I’ve been through the first three and enjoyed them. I haven’t started the fourth yet and, for the reasons set out below, not sure how helpful it will be in my ‘use case’.

I always enjoy listening to knowledgeable people talk about their subject. One of the great joys in life! The learning available by listening to Andy Galpin and Inigo San Milan is great. I thought, in this series, that the second episode, on strength and hypertrophy was better than the one on endurance. However, I concluded that this is because AG starts from the position of the strength athletes looking to add endurance to their core discipline. Towards the end he mentions ‘the real endurance types…’, which is certainly me, and notes our different approach.

So different target group, but I think the strength section was really useful from my perspective.

« Reply #16 on: 22 February, 2023, 08:38:10 pm »
I thought, in this series, that the second episode, on strength and hypertrophy was better than the one on endurance. However, I concluded that this is because AG starts from the position of the strength athletes looking to add endurance to their core discipline. Towards the end he mentions ‘the real endurance types…’, which is certainly me, and notes our different approach.

Yes, I had the exact same feeling, his experience is no doubt limited in dealing with athletes that participate in the much longer endurance events.

I've just finished the last episode which came out today. At 64, I'm very late to game in understanding anything about the science of sports fitness/training [call it what you will]
but I've enjoyed them all immensely, and even though a great deal of it kind of went over my head, I find AG really quite inspiring as a person, and AH does an excellent job of creating the right environment for him to just let rip.
Garry Broad

« Reply #17 on: 11 March, 2023, 01:41:37 pm »
Yes! They're very good!
I don't listen all of his podcasts, just the ones that interest me. I'm on my way through the Galpin ones. I tried his strength tests. The lifting your own bodyweight on the leg extension machine at the gym wasn't so hard but I'm not up to the gold standard 25 straight press ups. I doubt that my lack of flexibility will give a very good result for the VO2 max test either because it messes up my technique for running but I have half a mind to target his tests.

I increased my HRV recordings on my Whoop strap from typically around 130-170 to around 160-200 after listening to his sleep protocal podcast and experimenting and definitely feel better for it.