Author Topic: Gout  (Read 3755 times)

Gout
« on: 08 January, 2009, 09:15:08 am »
I've been suffering from Gout for the last week or so (bloody painfull). I had my first and only previous attack about 5 years ago, which from memory, went away of its own accord after about 2 weeks.  I've stopped drinking alchohol (for the time being), drinking as much other fluid as I can, still riding the bike (slightly less painful than walking/limping).
If it's no better by Monday I'll see the quack - but I'm a bit concerned about what medication I may be given having read about some nasty side effects on the interwebby thing.
Anyone hereabouts had any experience of this?  Is it something I've got to put up with on and off for the rest of my life?

annie

Re: Gout
« Reply #1 on: 08 January, 2009, 09:26:48 am »
If your diet is controlled then you should be able to minimise the risk of this happening again.

The recommendation is to avoid foods that contain purine and protein.  Your GP will be able to help you with this and should be able to provide a list of foods that contain these products, things like seafood have quite high levels.    Obviously gout is a build up of uric acid in the body and the formation of the crystals as a result of the uric acid.

I have been to see several people with this condition and you have my sympathy.

Good luck.

« Reply #2 on: 08 January, 2009, 09:47:16 am »
I've had gout in the past. I used to hit the liquor pretty hard and after a couple of days of it I'd get such pain in the joint of my big toes that I was reduced to hobbling about on my heels at a snails pace - not good. I've stopped knocking back the hard stuff and stick to beer now, and I've not had any incidence since.

I love this etching by James Gillray

« Reply #3 on: 08 January, 2009, 11:03:43 am »
. . . Your GP will be able to help you with this . . .

Thanks Annie - I've booked an appointment for tomorrow morning.

TOKaMaK - The etching portrays the pain really well, I followed the link you sent me and whiled away a few minutes when I'm supposed to be working, Thanks :)

« Reply #4 on: 08 January, 2009, 11:10:03 am »
The etching portrays the pain really well...

Aye, that it does - better than I could put into words.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #5 on: 08 January, 2009, 11:44:28 am »
Try cherry juice.

What drugs are you on? During an attack you need anti inflammatory and pain killers.

Red wine and turkey does it for me - and not drinking enough water. Pee, pee and pee again!
It is simpler than it looks.

« Reply #6 on: 08 January, 2009, 11:53:09 am »
Yes - Cherry juice surfaced when I googled gout - it's on the shopping list.  I haven't popped any pills (yet), but I've been using Nurofen gel on the joint (It doesn't seem to have had much effect so far).

Jeem

« Reply #7 on: 23 November, 2009, 12:37:23 pm »
I apologise for resurrecting an old thread,

I have suffered from gout for the past 7 years , always when the fitness levels were improving and mileage was going up  my toe would throw a hissy fit .. laying me low for at least a week but more often than not , longer .
Done all the diet modifications , always kept myself well hydrated, avoided near enough everything and took all the tablets , still it kept coming back.
When I get smitten I always do more research on the internet, the last time I noticed that there were a few articles advising taking a vitamin C supplement.
Well last Monday I woke up with the steel band round my toe and as the day progressed the pain got worse,  on my way home from work stopped off at the local supermarket and bought a tub of Vitamin C tablets (500mg) , cost about £3 for 90 ,
Tuesday morning toe was worse , I took 1000mg of the vitamin c ,  by the evening I didn’t need any pain killers .
Wednesday morning took another 2 tablets , No pain killers  and by Wednesday evening I was able to flex my toe with no pain whatsoever.
The way my toe felt I was expecting to be house bound last week ,
Just thought I would pass this on.

If you have the gout hope you find something that helps you

Jeem

« Reply #8 on: 04 January, 2021, 05:06:27 pm »
Ow.  This attack has come and gone since end October, and is now stopping me sleeping and exercising*

I've been on daily allopurinol since 2016 and colchicine to try and manage flareups, although it's not working this week. Another GP call tonight, hopefully I'll get someone different to last week who knows about Gout and they'll agree to giving me another bloodtest and not just suggest using ibuprofen gel on my foot....

* cycling, running and walking really hurt, the goddam rowing machine isnt too bad, 'luckily'.

Jaded

• The Codfather
« Reply #9 on: 04 January, 2021, 06:27:00 pm »
Ouch, not good. What pain killers do you use? (and what dose of Allopurinol?)

« Reply #10 on: 05 January, 2021, 10:15:28 am »
had a good call with the GP yesterday, she's getting me onto naproxen to help manage attacks, and upped my dose of allopurinol to 200mg after everything has calmed down (from 100), and will do a blood test in a month.  Fingers crossed.

Jaded

• The Codfather
« Reply #11 on: 05 January, 2021, 10:36:35 am »
Naproxen is good, but should be used sparingly. I've found that prescriptions don't allow an emergency stash, so looked for other sources. It is comforting to have a pack of Naproxen at hand in case of attack. Aollpurinol: I'm on 300mg now. 100mg sounds quite low.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #12 on: 05 January, 2021, 11:10:39 am »
A chacun son goût.  I had a touch in 1981 in my right elbow, from over-rich eating and drinking, and holding a large book awkwardly which, according to my quack of the day, was opening up a tendon channel in which uric acid crystals were accumulating.  Diet got rid of it.

When I mentioned it to my new doc in Alsace in the early 90s he had a look for diabetes and gleefully told me "that's probably when it started". Oh jolly.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

« Reply #13 on: 31 December, 2022, 07:46:22 am »
I think I've just had an attack of gout. Went back to Hong Kong to see family, and ate a lot of seafood and meat, and didn't drink enough liquid. First day of the trip I dropped a suitcase on the top of my foot, so thought it was my nerves getting all muddled up. Last day of trip I had the take ibuprofen just to hobble onto the flight. It was only when I saw the swelling and redness, that I realised it could be gout. On the plus side this is going to make my new years health kick so much easier to stick to.