Linked Events

• SEG 75: 21 February, 2010
  • CTC SEG 75 Mile Reliability Ri: 20 February, 2011

Author Topic: SEG 75 - Sunday 20th February (Essex)  (Read 28862 times)

Re: SEG 75 - Sunday 20th February (Essex)
« Reply #50 on: 08 February, 2011, 08:59:54 am »
There is a time frame to complete the ride in, and if you complete it within that time Stefan the organiser sends you a card to prove you did it. It's not quite like an Audax event though - there aren't any intermediate points where you have to check in, just the start and finish. Umm, some of the local cycle clubs use it as an excuse for a bit of a tear-up after a few months of winter training rides. ;)

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
« Reply #51 on: 08 February, 2011, 09:02:33 am »
That sounds excellent.

Oaky

• ACME Fire Safety Officer
  • Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #52 on: 08 February, 2011, 08:27:13 pm »
I might be up for this (assuming no ice - Don't think I'll be fast enough on the Marathon winters either :) ).

I had half a plan to do Dick Turpin's Revenge on Sat 19th, but could probably exchange my pass and do this on the Sunday instead.  I see the SEG 75 doesn't take in North Hill, but I could go up that on my way to the start  ;).
You are in a maze of twisty flat droves, all alike.

85.4 miles from Marsh Gibbon

Audax Club Mid-Essex Fire Safety Officer
http://acme.bike

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #53 on: 09 February, 2011, 10:49:08 am »
There is a time frame to complete the ride in, and if you complete it within that time Stefan the organiser sends you a card to prove you did it. It's not quite like an Audax event though - there aren't any intermediate points where you have to check in, just the start and finish. Umm, some of the local cycle clubs use it as an excuse for a bit of a tear-up after a few months of winter training rides. ;)

There are controls on the way - whether they are merely to check that no-one has got lost en route I don't know, but IIRC the Chelmer and other cycling clubs aren't interested in a certificate from the CTC to say they've done the ride. They merely bash round the route in about three hours.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Andyf

• I would engage you in a battle of wits, but it appears you came unarmed.
  • I love my Specialized, and my Specialized loves me
« Reply #54 on: 09 February, 2011, 10:50:35 am »
some of the local cycle clubs use it as an excuse for a bit of a tear-up after a few months of winter training rides.

When I did the Baddow & Burnham last week, there was a  Pro and Cat1 riders, and by my very humble standard it was a total tear up. :o

Yes, I am up for this one! :thumbsup:
Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting: "What a ride!" - Brian Davies

« Reply #55 on: 09 February, 2011, 12:56:55 pm »

There are controls on the way - whether they are merely to check that no-one has got lost en route I don't know, but IIRC the Chelmer and other cycling clubs aren't interested in a certificate from the CTC to say they've done the ride. They merely bash round the route in about three hours.

Oh that's right, I remember delthebike marshalling at the Leather Bottle in Pleshey.

I don't know about 3 hours, under 4 hours certainly. ;)

Andrij

• Андрій
  • Ερασιτεχνικός μισάνθρωπος
« Reply #56 on: 09 February, 2011, 12:58:53 pm »

Oh that's right, I remember delthebike marshalling at the Leather Bottle in Pleshey.

I don't know about 3 hours, under 4 hours certainly. ;)

That would be one of the places we stopped to 'replenish liquids' when I did this ride a few years ago.

;D  Andrij.  I pronounce you Complete and Utter GIT   :thumbsup:

« Reply #57 on: 11 February, 2011, 02:37:39 pm »

That would be one of the places we stopped to 'replenish liquids' when I did this ride a few years ago.

I think the cheques have got lost in the post!

P.S. pics are from 2008

« Reply #58 on: 11 February, 2011, 02:41:58 pm »
And another thing...

ChrisW, SEG member, has done the deed and GPXed the route for you.  :thumbsup:

SEG 75 CTC event  20th Feb -

Oaky

• ACME Fire Safety Officer
  • Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #59 on: 12 February, 2011, 12:28:09 am »
My pass has been successfully renegotiated, so I'm in! :)
You are in a maze of twisty flat droves, all alike.

85.4 miles from Marsh Gibbon

Audax Club Mid-Essex Fire Safety Officer
http://acme.bike

yamazato

« Reply #60 on: 13 February, 2011, 02:09:46 am »
thank

« Reply #61 on: 15 February, 2011, 05:09:09 pm »
Hello all

Tynan and Mrs Tynan are doing this one, I'm finding the crimbo weight and lack of lungs very slow to shift this year but fortunately this should get covered by riding at the lady wife's pace, that said sh;es joined the local club a while back and been going to training, a Sunday run and midweek turbo training so I might be in for a fright

much cheered by talk of pubs and general beauty, 8.30 start to give us time

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #62 on: 15 February, 2011, 05:13:23 pm »
Oh buggrit I might as well have a crack at this. 8.30 start.

I'm perfectly happy to ride in company in our own time rather than trudge round on my tod against the clock.

« Reply #63 on: 15 February, 2011, 05:29:06 pm »
Seeing as this is only a few days away I certainly won't be able to do the whole ride, but if my doc gives me the all clear to start riding again (I see him tomorrow) I may be able to hang out at some of the controls/pub stops etc...

Edit: Or just get the train to Shenfield then ride over to Billericay for the inevitable tea and cake in the cafe at the finish....
Those wonderful norks are never far from my thoughts, oh yeah!

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #64 on: 15 February, 2011, 05:35:38 pm »
Yes, the official page for this doesn't point out that Billericay station is about a 2 minute ride from the start / finish. There are no service interruptions this Sunday either - so this is a good opportunity for Lahndahners to join in the fun.

If there's an interest in forming a Team Slow I'm quite happy for a later start and let the organiser know that we are not intending to beat the clock back. Otherwise I'll go for an 8.30 start.

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
« Reply #65 on: 15 February, 2011, 05:49:08 pm »
I have no idea how fast I will be. I am just going to chug round and hopefully finish within 7 hours. I am using the ride to gauge how I am going to fair during my 2011 audax campaign which I think is the whole point of reliability rides.

« Reply #66 on: 15 February, 2011, 07:44:37 pm »
the lady wife reckons she's good for 15mph on the flat so that's what we're hoping for so we aspire to team pedestrian rather than slow

hopefully

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #67 on: 15 February, 2011, 10:18:55 pm »
the lady wife reckons she's good for 15mph on the flat so that's what we're hoping for so we aspire to team pedestrian rather than slow

hopefully

As we know, there are no hills in Essex.  ;)

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #68 on: 16 February, 2011, 10:06:25 am »
I have just seen a weather forecast for Sunday. If it comes true I'll be somewhere else.

« Reply #69 on: 16 February, 2011, 12:57:12 pm »
I've got overcast with light showers and 'breezy', not that cold

Do tell about hills on this route, anything significant?

« Reply #70 on: 16 February, 2011, 01:11:09 pm »
There are no hills on the route. It is all just mildly undulating. There's the odd short kick (out of Pleshey for example) and the occasional tedious drag, but really nothing that could be considered a "hill"

« Reply #71 on: 16 February, 2011, 02:05:16 pm »
Thank-you

I may have promised he wife that Essex was flat to coax into what for her is a new record distance

'tedious drag', I did an Oxford night ride last year with some off here and Chinoor Hill was described something like that, I barely got up it, only the knowledge that pushing would be horrid too got me up, the dark didn't help at all obviously

I have a new sram chain box route sheet holder to finesse between now and then ...

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #72 on: 16 February, 2011, 02:14:57 pm »
No, there's nothing of any great significance. Stock is about 300' above sea level and there's a climb to get there, but quite gentle, whichever way we go round, but probably the toughest of the lot is between Highwood and Ingatestone, approaching the Viper pub, especially if we go round anticlockwise.

« Reply #73 on: 16 February, 2011, 02:35:47 pm »
....but probably the toughest of the lot is between Highwood and Ingatestone, approaching the Viper pub, especially if we go round anticlockwise.

I'd forgotten that was on the route. I've been up that so many times that I just do it on autopilot. In fact I reckon I could ride to the Viper with my eyes shut!

It would still fall into the "Short sharp kick" category though. It gets quite steep on the final bend. In fact it's so short that if anyone had a serious aversion to inclines it would take no time to hop off and push.

If the route is in the other direction it's a blast to go down. Especially if you stop for a couple of cheeky ones at the viper, get back on and suddenly find yourself accelerating wildly with a sharp right hander approaching fast!

Incidentally, the best downhill around there is from Galleywood down to Margaretting. I've had getting on for 50 mph out of that bad boy - but you better make sure your bike handling skills are up to scratch and are prepared to lean hard into the final left 'cos otherwise you'll find yourself on the wrong side of the road and a potential head on at a combined speed of over 80 mph. That would mean death. Unless you were wearing a h*lm*t of course  ;)

Oh! Here's a clip of me <a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/YC4YTjYq64Q&rel=1" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/YC4YTjYq64Q&rel=1</a> where it flattens out at the bottom. You can tell I'm shifting it by the wind and tyre noise as I pass. Happy days....

« Reply #74 on: 16 February, 2011, 05:09:47 pm »
hmmm, as long as it's short

and a pub on top certainly helps