Author Topic: burglar / smoke alarm recommendation?  (Read 6179 times)

burglar / smoke alarm recommendation?
« on: 16 April, 2008, 02:10:12 pm »
apparently we need a burglar alarm for the new house. I dont know why, all the bikes are in the garage :D

any suggestions for companies to talk to or avoid like the plague?

ta!

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
Re: burglar / smoke alarm recommendation?
« Reply #1 on: 16 April, 2008, 02:12:14 pm »
i would happily come around and guard your bikes, as you are just about the same size as me, erm I mean it would be cheaper ...
Current mood: AARRRGGGGHHHHH !!! #bollockstobrexit

« Reply #2 on: 16 April, 2008, 02:18:12 pm »
i would happily come around and guard your bikes, as you are just about the same size as me, erm I mean it would be cheaper ...

:)

who gets the miles on bikejournal?

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
« Reply #3 on: 16 April, 2008, 02:22:39 pm »
LOL

60/40 deal ?

What about calling the local plod and ask which companies they recommend ? It all depends on if they are local etc
Current mood: AARRRGGGGHHHHH !!! #bollockstobrexit

« Reply #4 on: 16 April, 2008, 02:31:46 pm »
Despite having a burglar alarm, my insurance company told us not to bother saying we had one1.

Having one made no difference to the insurance quote but if we said we had one we had to use it (if we were burgled and it hadn't been set then they'd use that as a reason for not paying up).

Smoke alarms are a different matter (*looks at them sitting in the box in the other room*).

( I'd be interested to see what people think about ADT though. I need to get our alarm sorted out as the battery backup is dead and we don't have any manuals for it.)

1. But then this is a first floor flat, with no access at ground level.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

« Reply #5 on: 16 April, 2008, 02:59:06 pm »
Regarding smoke alarms, I got quite a clever little one that screws into a light fitting and then the bulb goes into it, and it is hidden by the lampshade (although the lampshade is open enough that smoke can get in were there any smoke).

It has a rechargeable battery and is charged when the light is on (light has to be on minimum one hour a week) so battery will hardly ever need changing. You test it by flicking the light switch once and shut it up (when it goes off when you burn the dinner) by flicking the light switch twice so no getting a chair to stand on etc. And it saved me drilling my ceiling.

It does work. Not that I, er, burn a lot of food or anything...

£19.99 from Maplin.

alchemy

« Reply #6 on: 16 April, 2008, 03:12:47 pm »
My place was fitted with a burglar alarm by the builder but they didn't leave an instruction manual, and even when I found some instructions on the net, I still couldn't work out how to use it, so I don't bother. Also, I refuse to live in a place that has more security than Fort Knox, door and window locks are enough AFAIAC.

Even though my contents insurance has a note on the policy saying that I have an (unmonitored) alarm, there's nothing in the policy itself that says it has to be switched on. Maybe I should check with the company to see exactly what their view is  :-\

« Reply #7 on: 16 April, 2008, 03:22:25 pm »
Regarding smoke alarms, I got quite a clever little one that screws into a light fitting

Nice idea. I'll look out for them as we've got high (10ft) ceilings throughout the flat which makes fitting/testing standard smoke alarms a PITA. My only concern would be that creates a foot high gap (or sometimes 2ft depending on the light fittings) between the smoke alarm and the ceiling, which could be seen as adding a delay compared to a ceiling mounted smoke alarm.

Moot point right now anyway as the lighting circuit that covers the kitchen is still filled with water (from a leak 8 months ago) and so the fuse for that circuit is sitting in a box next to the fuse box. But at least we've started to get the builders interested (it helps if you send emails to the right address).
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

« Reply #8 on: 16 April, 2008, 04:56:34 pm »
The problem with burglar alarms, as has been noted, is that if you fit one you have to use it. Our neighbours were just robbed - usual route via the patio doors - and had the alarm off as the kids kept setting it off  :-\

You say you "have" to have a burglar alarm - who says so and why? If it's a particular insurer get a quote from another (or better still a broker).

Smoke alarms - we got ourd fitted for free I think - a local council initiative.  They have a sealed battery and last about 10 years.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

« Reply #9 on: 17 April, 2008, 11:09:42 am »
After I was burgled 18 months ago (while I was upstairs asleep :-[) I fitted a Yale wireless system to the house.

All the units are self contained modules and don't need to be wired in so you can make the sysyem as fancy or simple as you like. It seems to be reliable (goes off when I forget to disarm it) and so far the batteries haven't needed replacing. Think you can get a smoke alarm if you want but I use the stick on ones from B&Q

Only prob is if the insurance are insisting on it then they might require it to be professionally fitted
“There is no point in using the word 'impossible' to describe something that has clearly happened.”
― Douglas Adams

Thor

• Super-sonnicus idioticus
« Reply #10 on: 17 April, 2008, 11:35:49 am »
I also have a Yale wireless system and it works very well - no false alarms and very configurable, to suit your requirements. 

If insurance companies insist on an alarm, or are giving you a reduction for having one, it will have to be professionally fitted and inspected regularly.  The cost of this would in all probability outweigh any insurance savings.
It was a day like any other in Ireland, only it wasn't raining

« Reply #11 on: 17 April, 2008, 11:46:30 am »
Regarding smoke alarms, I got quite a clever little one that screws into a light fitting
My only concern would be that creates a foot high gap (or sometimes 2ft depending on the light fittings) between the smoke alarm and the ceiling, which could be seen as adding a delay compared to a ceiling mounted smoke alarm.

Mine is I guess just under a foot from the ceiling, and seems incredibly sensitive. It used to be in the hall off the kitchen, but it went off as soon as food in the oven went a little too brown when there was no smoke in sight.

My boyfriend got so peed off with me setting it off all the time (I like my stuff well done, what can I say!) that he moved it a bit further away from the kitchen to a different light fitting (it's a tiny studio flat so will never be too far away).

« Reply #12 on: 17 April, 2008, 02:12:04 pm »
Mike,
Speak with the Crime Prevention team for your police force.  See what they recommend re: burglar alarms.  They probably will not state a particular company but may tell you which ones are partners in best business etc.

« Reply #13 on: 17 April, 2008, 06:06:03 pm »
cheers Grub, will do.  ('Roger' :D)

to answer others - I'm not sure who decided we had to have a burglar alarm; before we had the house done it just had a pretend box on the outside that kept the pikeys away quite successfully!  Will investigate.

e999sam

« Reply #14 on: 18 April, 2008, 08:25:52 pm »
In Derbyshire the Fire service will come to your home and fit smoke alarms for no charge. They will also give you some safety advice. I beleave this is a national scheme but I don't Know if other brigades are doing it free for everyone.

rae

« Reply #15 on: 18 April, 2008, 10:25:50 pm »
I'd be interested to see what people think about ADT though. I need to get our alarm sorted out as the battery backup is dead and we don't have any manuals for it. 

Just open up the box and find out what the battery is.  They are all sealed lead acid and Maplin have replacements for about a tenner.

« Reply #16 on: 24 April, 2008, 08:40:42 pm »
Mine is I guess just under a foot from the ceiling, and seems incredibly sensitive. It used to be in the hall off the kitchen, but it went off as soon as food in the oven went a little too brown when there was no smoke in sight.

You can get smoke alarms which are specifically designed to be insensitive to fumes from cooking which seem to cause nuisance trips.  I think they'll still trip if you burn the toast, since burning things are burning things, and smoke alarms are meant to go when they detect smoke.  Cooking also seems to produce other fumes, like steam, which also have the ability to trip these alarms, and you can get detector which are immune to such, but tend to be more expensive.

(Having said this, I can't find any doing a Google around, trust me, they certainly used to exist!)
Actually, it is rocket science.

LEE

« Reply #17 on: 24 April, 2008, 11:21:11 pm »
You don't need a Burglar Alarm as most thieves are very common.  Interested?  Read on.

Hampshire Fire Service fitted all our bedrooms with smoke detectors, our landing and entrance hall too.  All for free.  Happy Days.

We don't have a burglar alarm but thieves are usually from the lower classes (except for the upper-class diamond thief type, who tends to leave a white glove as a 'calling card') and as such tend to smoke 20 Woodbines an hour.  I expect this will be more than adequate set off the smoke detectors thereby saving a fortune on a costly alarm system (as ours go off if you even think about getting the frying pan out).

Bob is your transexual Auntie.

Woofage

• Tofu-eating Wokerati
  • Ain't no hooves on my bike.
« Reply #18 on: 25 April, 2008, 11:39:17 pm »
Surprised no one has mentioned this so far, but your smoke alarms have to be hard-wired into the mains (no batteries). Normal method is to connect to the lighting circuit. Also, they have to be daisy-chained so if one is triggered the others go off. However, wireless units are available to avoid wired interconnections.
Pen Pusher

« Reply #19 on: 26 April, 2008, 09:27:31 am »
Enquire on behalf of your elderly relative.......

Most Councils and "Help the Aged" have a list of appoved contractors that can be accesed.

Normally good practical local outfits that have a good track record.

« Reply #20 on: 26 April, 2008, 11:40:37 am »
Surprised no one has mentioned this so far, but your smoke alarms have to be hard-wired into the mains (no batteries). Normal method is to connect to the lighting circuit. Also, they have to be daisy-chained so if one is triggered the others go off. However, wireless units are available to avoid wired interconnections.

Are you sure?

Woofage

• Tofu-eating Wokerati
  • Ain't no hooves on my bike.
« Reply #21 on: 26 April, 2008, 02:21:17 pm »

Are you sure?

For existing dwellings, battery units are fine. But for new-builds, conversions and renovations etc (where Building Regulations will apply) mains-powered units are usually required. Best to check with your BCO.
Pen Pusher

« Reply #22 on: 26 April, 2008, 06:27:42 pm »
smoke alarms are all hard-wired in.  As are burglar alarms.  thanks all :)

« Reply #23 on: 08 June, 2009, 01:13:53 pm »
Regarding smoke alarms, I got quite a clever little one that screws into a light fitting and then the bulb goes into it, and it is hidden by the lampshade (although the lampshade is open enough that smoke can get in were there any smoke).

It has a rechargeable battery and is charged when the light is on (light has to be on minimum one hour a week) so battery will hardly ever need changing. You test it by flicking the light switch once and shut it up (when it goes off when you burn the dinner) by flicking the light switch twice so no getting a chair to stand on etc. And it saved me drilling my ceiling.

It does work. Not that I, er, burn a lot of food or anything...

£19.99 from Maplin.

I'm after an alarm that will be triggered by cigarette smoke - and be tamper proof too, it would need to go into the ceiling - can anyone recommend something in the same sort of range as this one?

« Reply #24 on: 09 June, 2009, 11:10:29 am »
I think you'll find that the smoke detector will react to cigarette smoke just fine.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)