Author Topic: Gorhambury Revisited Sunday 22nd  (Read 1046 times)

BermondseyBill

• I am Green Egggs & Ham, I am.....
Gorhambury Revisited Sunday 22nd
« on: 14 February, 2009, 05:15:25 pm »

An annual ride by Southwark and Lewisham Cyclists, Her Welshness suggesting I should open to the wider community.

Truly a stunning ride along some very quiet lanes, although not entirely avoiding some of the busier roads, and much to take in.
Polymath & Bacon – Gorhambury Revisited.

With apologies for the short notice, however details of the reopening of the Gorhambury Estate have been scarce, however, the nice lady on the gate was spot on with her predictions, the cull is over, and the road is open.

This ride is no Scottish mountain road ascent, although it does take in what must be Hertfordshire’s best estate, a true idyll, and home to two Gorhambury mansions, one a stunning ruin, the other a country pile home to various members of the Francis Bacon lineage and other such likes.

Bermondsey Square, corner Long Lane and Tower Bridge Road, 08.30am for the ride to St Pancreas, meet there 09.20 if you text me, upper level East Midlands Platforms.

Once at St Albans we will pay a quick homage to St Albyn, and the best of his Abbey City, before the journey across to Gorhambury. We’ll pick away across through Ovaltine Land, through to Berkhampstead, and the Ashridge Estate.

Lunch at The Valiant Trooper at Aldbury after 30 miles, which will sort of dictate the pace.

Nothing fixed after lunch, possibly a 20 mile circular ride based on nearby Tring, whose station will speed us back to Euston, or perhaps we’ll ride on and meet up with the Metropolitan line.

An excellent day out, with some pressure on the morning, and a very casual afternoon dictated by the ride.

Bill

07973 668642

Growing old is compulsory, growing up is optional.