Linked Events

• Not the 'Uts: 14 March, 2009

Author Topic: Not the 'Uts - an alternative 100 mile ride, 14/3/09  (Read 7407 times)

Re: Not the 'Uts - an alternative 100 mile ride, 14/3/09
« Reply #25 on: 13 March, 2009, 11:37:17 am »
OK, I'll see you at the nursery. Is there anyone else starting at Wickford with you now?

« Reply #26 on: 14 March, 2009, 10:29:05 pm »
Dasmoth, was that you two riding along the A120 just before braintree at about 6.30 this evening?  Did you make it home OK?  you're braver than me...!

(I saw you twice today, I think - there and as you went along the road from great chishill towards walden at about 11.  I'm not a stalker, honest)

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #27 on: 14 March, 2009, 10:33:35 pm »
I arrived home from this at about 9.30 and am now full of steak & kidney pie, a Mrs. Wow speciality.

There's a definite inclination to complain about the weather, but we have had no cause for a month now. It was on 14th Feb that Annie and I braved the ice and the last of the melting snow on what was otherwise a gorgeous day, and every Saturday since had been perfect for cycling. Today was no different, and at 8.30 or soon after a Trice hove into view on the approach to Wickford station. It was Ben Lovejoy, not of, but aware of, this parish, accompanying us to the lunch stop.

We made sedate progress to Ingatestone where Erron, or most of him, awaited us. What a clean-cut young man! :P Tea and cake and we were back on the road with the wind not terribly helpful but the sun on our backs. Much of this was a re-run of the SEG 75 and pleasant but uneventful. We had a call from Dasmoth just after we left Felsted and in another 45 minutes or so we were ensconced in the Red Lion, where I enjoyed my third jalfrezi in a week, washed down with a couple of Flanker's Tackles.

Ben headed for Elsenham Station after the pub, whereas the rest of us took to Skog Lane. Just north of Braintree most of Erron went on his way, and Dasmoth, Emily and I headed for Sible Hedingham and beyond. Pebmarsh, the Colnes and Great Tey cames and went and when we arrived at Coggeshall at 5.30 the Black Horse pub boasted that it was OPEN ALL DAY so in we went, welcomed by the landlady until we asked for food.

"We start serving at 6."

"We don't really want to wait - have you nothing quick?"

"Oh yes, we can get you something quick - at 6 o'clock."

We found a chip shop which almost instantly provided chips and tea. That gap filled, we parted company and I enjoyed a fine solo ride home: 34 miles of star-lit calm.

Total miles for the day: 106. Time on a train: 17 minutes. Time on a bike: 9h 38m 53s.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #28 on: 14 March, 2009, 10:34:29 pm »
Dasmoth, was that you two riding along the A120 just before braintree at about 6.30 this evening?  Did you make it home OK?  you're braver than me...!

(I saw you twice today, I think - there and as you went along the road from great chishill towards walden at about 11.  I'm not a stalker, honest)

Highly probably. We parted company at 6 in Coggeshall.

dasmoth

• Techno-optimist
« Reply #29 on: 14 March, 2009, 10:45:29 pm »
Yep, that was us on the A120.  Once we were past Braintree, it was a very pleasant night ride back.  Slowed down a little after Saffron Waldon, and also had a wee bit of trouble with the tandem gears, but we're sitting down with our supper now!

Thanks to Wow for letting us tag along on the middle portion of your ride, and for picking some great lanes.

Coincidentally, the total distance came out almost the same: 105 miles here.
Half term's when the traffic becomes mysteriously less bad for a week.

dasmoth

• Techno-optimist
« Reply #30 on: 14 March, 2009, 10:54:02 pm »

To be honest, the A120 doesn't bother me too much.  It was a bit busier than I might have liked, but in general I'm fairly comfortable riding on major roads.  I do commute up the A10 when I'm in a hurry.   Emily says she had her eyes shut, though...

(I saw you twice today, I think - there and as you went along the road from great chishill towards walden at about 11.

Yes, the timing for that sounds right, too.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #31 on: 14 March, 2009, 11:30:45 pm »

annie

« Reply #32 on: 15 March, 2009, 07:00:35 am »

To be honest, the A120 doesn't bother me too much.  It was a bit busier than I might have liked, but in general I'm fairly comfortable riding on major roads.  I do commute up the A10 when I'm in a hurry.   Emily says she had her eyes shut, though...

(I saw you twice today, I think - there and as you went along the road from great chishill towards walden at about 11.

Yes, the timing for that sounds right, too.

I wonder if we saw you somewhere near the station at Audley End (?) just as the four of us were turning out of the junction towards the finish.

dasmoth

• Techno-optimist
« Reply #33 on: 15 March, 2009, 09:06:58 am »
I wonder if we saw you somewhere near the station at Audley End (?) just as the four of us were turning out of the junction towards the finish.

Function from Audley End to the main road past Saffron Waldon?  Yes, that was us!  Did think that the riders we passed there looked fairly audacious, but I didn't know the exact route of yesteday's ride, so wasn't sure.  Did the final leg go down through Newport, then?

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
« Reply #34 on: 15 March, 2009, 10:00:39 am »
... where I enjoyed my third jalfrezi in a week, washed down with a couple of Flanker's Tackles...

Perhaps you've spent too much time cycling in my company... ;)
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #35 on: 15 March, 2009, 10:03:20 am »
... where I enjoyed my third jalfrezi in a week, washed down with a couple of Flanker's Tackles...

Perhaps you've spent too much time cycling in my company... ;)

Is it possible to spend too much time cycling in Regulator's company?  :D

annie

« Reply #36 on: 15 March, 2009, 11:22:21 am »

Function from Audley End to the main road past Saffron Waldon?  Yes, that was us!  Did think that the riders we passed there looked fairly audacious, but I didn't know the exact route of yesteday's ride, so wasn't sure.  Did the final leg go down through Newport, then?

Great to catch a glimpse of you. :thumbsup:

« Reply #37 on: 15 March, 2009, 12:20:52 pm »

Was good to see you too  :)  Hope to see you for more than a glimpse in the dark some time - maybe we'll make one of the WARTYs before too long.

We had a very good ride - thanks for organising it Wowbagger, and for letting us tag along.  Good weather, some very pretty lanes, and a rather unusual round church along the way.  I'm now feeling rather stiff and sore, but proud of my first 100-mile ride!

toekneep

• Its got my name on it.
    • Blog
« Reply #38 on: 15 March, 2009, 04:07:30 pm »

Was good to see you too  :)  Hope to see you for more than a glimpse in the dark some time - maybe we'll make one of the WARTYs before too long.

We had a very good ride - thanks for organising it Wowbagger, and for letting us tag along.  Good weather, some very pretty lanes, and a rather unusual round church along the way.  I'm now feeling rather stiff and sore, but proud of my first 100-mile ride!

Congratulations Emily, 100 miles is something I aspire to. Hopefully, this is the year.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #39 on: 15 March, 2009, 08:07:39 pm »

It was good to have company. I thought we were pretty well matched speed-wise. I reckon you must be one of the lighter tandem pairs around because either you weren't trying or my 17 stone was plummeting down the hills rather quicker than you were. You also seemed to climb quicker than I do (but then most people do!).

dasmoth

• Techno-optimist
« Reply #40 on: 15 March, 2009, 08:30:51 pm »
I do tend to drag the brakes slightly on a lot of descents -- at least when I see potholes ahead, which seems to be far too often at the moment.  I like the tandem too much to risk putting my stoker off  :).

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #41 on: 15 March, 2009, 09:11:48 pm »
One thing I forgot to mention. Because I was on my own at the end of the ride, I went straight home rather than to Wickford, so I didn't try out the ">40mph" hill. Mrs. Wow and I rode down it today, with a maximum speed of 39.7. Must try harder!

benlovejoy

« Reply #42 on: 16 March, 2009, 12:30:27 pm »
Thanks for organising this - was a very enjoyable ride.

The wind was a bit of a challenge in places, but aside from that we couldn't have asked for better weather, and the roads were fantastic (except for their regrettable tendency to head uphill at frequent intervals).

Sorry to slow you down - the short, sharp hills aren't such an issue on the trike as everyone is slow up those and I can make it up on steep downhills, but do tend to drop back on the long flogs.

My day was 60.7 miles all-in, which was a pleasing distance for me given the relatively (for Essex!) hilly nature of it.

Brief write-up, including GPS logs, here:
Ben Lovejoy

Peter, if I could steal a few pics from you, that would be great.

Ben

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #43 on: 20 March, 2009, 10:47:03 pm »

All my pictures of this ride can be found here