Author Topic: I've just changed opticians.  (Read 8959 times)

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
    • Stuff mostly about weather
I've just changed opticians.
« on: 12 June, 2009, 05:18:28 pm »
Well, even if I'd stayed with the old one, I'd have changed because the place has been taken over by Scriveners and I didn't know anyone there. I had my eye test - change of prescription - and started to look at frames, and there was absolutely nothing I wanted. Not for fashion reasons, but because, as a bifocal wearer, I need a deep lens and the stupid modern fashion is for very narrow ones.

After the eye test I went round the corner to another optician (a local family firm) and they had a big stock of old frames which take deep lenses. I went back to the first shop, got my prescription and £62.70 voucher (tax credits) and have ordered a set of varifocals with nice moony gold-plated frames, which he sold at a discount because they are old stock. They will have a water-repellant, anti-glare, anti-scratch coating and will turn grey in sunlight.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
    • Stuff mostly about weather
Re: I've just changed opticians.
« Reply #1 on: 08 June, 2021, 05:34:09 pm »
Here we are, 12 years to the week later, and I've changed opticians again. I didn't realise I had until after the eye test, but it seems that the firm formerly known as Harvey  Rose, and up until recently run by his son Paul, is now just "Rose Opticians". It seems that Paul has retired. My eyes were examined by a very pleasant young woman and who used a glaucoma test which didn't have me leaping backwards.

Jan had an eye test immediately after I did and we are both due new spectacles. At an eye-watering price.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #2 on: 09 September, 2021, 01:51:33 am »
I feel that pain.
I've been going to the same local chain of opticians since "eh wiz wee" but one of the big less local chains bought them when the owner retired.
Said owner had to struggle with my dislike of sitting on strange chairs until I was in higher single digits (dentist also had this problem but back-lit snellen charts are harder to reposition than mouth mirror and scraper)

Any how... Today's visit confirmed what I suspected, another change in one eye, enough to need new glases.
So that's 200 odd quid on a pair of daily glases, sunglasses for the car and I should really sort out getting cycling glasses for day and night with my prescription, which was the reason I picked up this phone and opened Tapatalk about an hour ago.

Sent from my BKL-L09 using Tapatalk

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #3 on: 09 September, 2021, 11:38:52 am »
A member of the Audax fraternity (I'm not sure if he's of this parish) is the son of an optician.
There's a REASON he wears specs with HUGE lenses...

« Reply #4 on: 09 September, 2021, 04:01:51 pm »
I think my scrip has changed; previously very comfortable computer-use glasses are giving me a headache. My 'sportswear' single vision glasses don't seem to give me clear distance vision anymore.

So probably up for 2, maybe even 3 pairs (currently have varifocals as well).

Could be an eye-watering amount of money for 3 new pairs. Circa £800.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #5 on: 09 September, 2021, 09:52:31 pm »
Single vision lenses & specs can be relatively cheap.

I have not ordered specs online but might consider this if I had a recent prescription.

« Reply #6 on: 10 September, 2021, 11:05:37 am »

I have not ordered specs online but might consider this if I had a recent prescription.

It has been my experience that you can't persuade opticians to fit new lenses to old frames; so the cost of frames is included.

That would be 3 frames
One set very expensive varifocals (never found them online, and TBH I wouldn't trust that. These need extremely careful alignment, measured on the frames you are going to use, on your face).
I'd expect to get two of the sets for about £250 quid (lenses and frames).
The varifocals cost £580 last time (lenses and frames).
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #7 on: 11 September, 2021, 08:46:04 pm »
I got single vision second set for £30 in 2019. I have separate reading and vision glasses.

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
  • Overseaing the building of the death star
« Reply #8 on: 11 September, 2021, 08:59:16 pm »
an eye-watering price.

How have I missed that comment?

ian

« Reply #9 on: 11 September, 2021, 09:05:43 pm »
My varifocals cost – take a breath – £780 for single pair (including frames). That's admitted me ticking every box on the expens-o-meter and the fact that I have a prescription that's measured in multiple milk-bottle bottoms. Seriously, it takes light so long to pass through the lenses, I'm seeing everything three seconds after it happened.

Now I'm used to them, they are very good though.

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
« Reply #10 on: 11 September, 2021, 09:08:50 pm »
That was more than my jag....

« Reply #11 on: 12 September, 2021, 12:07:36 am »

I've had good experiences ordering specs online (mostly from the unedifyingly named Goggles4U) - single vision have been as cheap as three pairs for twenty quid in the past, and more recently, having just turned middle aged enough to require separate reading and distance prescriptions, I got a pair of varifocals and of reading glasses for under £50.

The varifocals were intended as a cheap proof of concept (I've heard of enough people finding it difficult to adapt to them that I wanted an idea of whether or not I might struggle before spending a significant amount on them), but I've found them absolutely fine.

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
« Reply #12 on: 12 September, 2021, 12:30:21 am »
Sorry to be possibly rude and definitely uninformed, would eye surgery be cheaper?

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
« Reply #13 on: 12 September, 2021, 08:11:31 am »
I seem to have struck lucky as having worn glasses since the age of 11 (and contacts from about 31) now 60+ years later and for the past couple of years my eyes have changed to be "driving legal" without glasses or contacts.   

I do still drive with glasses but everything else without (I do cycle with glasses but plain/sun/light enhance lenses)

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
I've just changed opticians.
« Reply #14 on: 12 September, 2021, 08:18:34 am »
I've had good experiences ordering specs online (mostly from the unedifyingly named Goggles4U) - single vision have been as cheap as three pairs for twenty quid in the past,

I recently bought two pairs from glassesdirect, which came to about £20 including delivery. The thing I liked about them was that they send to a selection of frames to try on before you commit to buying. Very happy with them so far.

Of course, I’m fortunate that I have a simple prescription - only need reading glasses, distance vision is still very good. My wife has a more complicated prescription so glassesdirect are no good for her.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

« Reply #15 on: 13 September, 2021, 08:45:12 am »
Sorry to be possibly rude and definitely uninformed, would eye surgery be cheaper?
It only really works for simple changes.  For people with more complex problems and high-diopter issues, they will typically end up still needing glasses (but much lower scrip) afterwards.  There are also issues with internal refraction afterwards that can make driving (or cycling) at night difficult.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

ian

« Reply #16 on: 13 September, 2021, 09:24:45 am »
Surgery crossed my mind, but I have a minus seven-and-a-lot prescription in both eyes, so they're pretty much going to have to use terawatt lasers mounted on sharks and I'll still likely end up needing glasses.

Ultrathin (they're not really, but they're a lot lighter) varifocals may be expensive, but they last several years, and well, being able to see is worth the periodic expense.

« Reply #17 on: 13 September, 2021, 10:00:10 am »
Surgery crossed my mind, but I have a minus seven-and-a-lot prescription in both eyes, so they're pretty much going to have to use terawatt lasers mounted on sharks and I'll still likely end up needing glasses.

Ultrathin (they're not really, but they're a lot lighter) varifocals may be expensive, but they last several years, and well, being able to see is worth the periodic expense.
You are a couple of diopters above me.

At 'our' levels, you have to have the ultrathin (otherwise the lenses are too thick and won't fit in frames). Plus coatings to reduce internal refraction. Plus I get the yellow tint/coating (reduces blue-light glare and makes it *much* easier to read in some lighting conditions.
It all adds up.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

ian

« Reply #18 on: 13 September, 2021, 10:16:16 am »
Yeah, I think the starting price was about £300 for the 'basic' varifocals at that prescription and then once I'd ticked all the boxes for the super Zeiss lenses, anti-refractive coatings etc. I was just shy of £800.

If I had normal lenses they'd be so heavy that wearing the glasses would probably cause my face to slide off under the weight.

I've no idea why I'm so short-sighted, no one else in my family is at all. Perhaps the stories are true, but honestly I didn't do that any more often than any other boy.

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #19 on: 13 September, 2021, 10:36:45 am »
I’m afraid I’m a fashion victim when it comes to spectacles and have worn Lindberg almost exclusively for 20 years. Thankfully, the optician I’ve used since we moved down south, is a friend and has over the years heavily discounted stock items for us. Given that all three children wore glasses growing up and Dr Beardy is a lifer as well, I’m sure that I’ve paid for at least one of his sailing dinghies  :-\, so I’m happy to accept a discount when it’s offered.

Which reminds me, I must get my last set of frames reglazed as computer lenses, I’m getting a crick in my neck using these varifocals.
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

« Reply #20 on: 13 September, 2021, 10:54:42 am »

Mrs LJ was about -11 in both eyes which isn't far off getting a free Labrador.  She started to develop cataracts when she was just over 50 which is early but apparently that sort of short-sightedness does make you liable to get cataracts and so had the lens replacement surgery.  Because the cataracts were only just starting she had to go privately and ended up having the equivalent of varifocal lenses installed.  She can now drive without glasses as well as read.  She does use glasses for reading sometimes if the light is dim but apart from that the change is little short of a miracle.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #21 on: 13 September, 2021, 03:27:44 pm »
Yeah, I think the starting price was about £300 for the 'basic' varifocals at that prescription and then once I'd ticked all the boxes for the super Zeiss lenses, anti-refractive coatings etc. I was just shy of £800.

If I had normal lenses they'd be so heavy that wearing the glasses would probably cause my face to slide off under the weight.

I've no idea why I'm so short-sighted, no one else in my family is at all. Perhaps the stories are true, but honestly I didn't do that any more often than any other boy.

I think reading small text in poor light as a young child might result in myopia.

Catching balls outdoors reduces the tendency.

Little boys' activities only have a bearing if P0Rn is involved...

ian

« Reply #22 on: 13 September, 2021, 03:52:08 pm »
What about the Freeman's catalogue lingerie pages? Asking for a friend.

« Reply #23 on: 13 September, 2021, 05:00:07 pm »

Mrs LJ was about -11 in both eyes which isn't far off getting a free Labrador.  She started to develop cataracts when she was just over 50 which is early but apparently that sort of short-sightedness does make you liable to get cataracts and so had the lens replacement surgery.  Because the cataracts were only just starting she had to go privately and ended up having the equivalent of varifocal lenses installed.  She can now drive without glasses as well as read.  She does use glasses for reading sometimes if the light is dim but apart from that the change is little short of a miracle.

My dad (short-sighted since childhood) had lens replacement surgery for cataracts in his 50s, too, and hasn't needed glasses to drive since (he does need reading glasses, but that's to be expected at almost 70).

It also had the added bonus of making his eyes reflect in the dark like a human cat. ;D

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #24 on: 13 September, 2021, 07:16:10 pm »

My dad (short-sighted since childhood) had lens replacement surgery for cataracts in his 50s, too, and hasn't needed glasses to drive since (he does need reading glasses, but that's to be expected at almost 70).

It also had the added bonus of making his eyes reflect in the dark like a human cat. ;D

ALL people who have lens replacement cataract surgery will need reading (or distance) spectacles.

A replacement lens CANNOT change its shape to focus, unlike a young biological lens.