Linked Events

• Sandwich & Fish & Chip Tour: 12 September, 2009

Author Topic: Sandwich and Fish & Chip Tour of Kent - Sat. 12th September  (Read 10355 times)

Adam

• It'll soon be summer
    • Charity ride Durness to Dover 18-25th June 2011
Seeing as

a) I'm 50% Kentish, as my mum was born in Dover
b) I like the seaside
c) We missed out on Fish & Chips on the last expedition to Kent

I was thinking about another trip to the Garden of England, but this time cheat a bit and get the train out there.   Seeing as quite a few people have been to Whitstable, courtesy of the FNRttC, but not gone any further into deepest Kent, I figured that would be a good place to start.

Get the 09.03 from London Victoria to Whitstable, then head out across to Sandwich, and then up the coast to Ramsgate, and then basically cycle along the sea wall all the way around the sea coast through Broadstairs, Margate to Reculver just outside Herne Bay and then pootle back to the station at Whitstable.

The intention being to find a nice place for fish & chips somewhere around Broadstairs.

50 or so fairly easy miles with about 1,000 ft of climbing.  The mileage may increase a bit, if I spot there's something interesting to look at slightly off route - like a plane.  ;)

The more astute amongst you will realise that to a large extent this mirrors the ride posted in the latest issue of the CTC magazine!

This will be a social ride (think CTC but without the sandals*) at an easy pace, no-one left behind (unless they eat all the ice-cream), etc etc.

This will also be listed on CC.

Any takers?

* I'm not stopping you wearing sandals if you want to, of course.

Edit - changed start point to add a few more miles.
“Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance you must keep moving.” -Albert Einstein

her_welshness

• Slut of a librarian
    • Lewisham Cyclists
Re: Sandwich and Fish & Chip Tour of Kent - Sat. 12th September
« Reply #1 on: 28 July, 2009, 03:39:56 pm »
Count me in  :thumbsup: I love the Viking Trail. Last time we stopped in Broadstairs it was extremely quickly, any chance for afternoon tea and cake by that stage?  :)

Adam

• It'll soon be summer
« Reply #2 on: 28 July, 2009, 04:23:23 pm »
Well, I was thinking of around there for lunch in fact!  With the route, it would be after 26 miles or so.  We could of course have fish & chips followed by cake.   8)

However, we'll see how we go.

“Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance you must keep moving.” -Albert Einstein

her_welshness

• Slut of a librarian
    • Lewisham Cyclists
« Reply #3 on: 28 July, 2009, 04:26:48 pm »
Well, I was thinking of around there for lunch in fact!  With the route, it would be after 26 miles or so.  We could of course have fish & chips followed by cake.   8)

However, we'll see how we go.

Oooh Broadstairs for lunch sounds fab! F&C and then cake sounds like a plan  :thumbsup:

« Reply #4 on: 28 July, 2009, 09:09:14 pm »
I recommend visiting Locks if you go to Sandwich. It's a bike shop like no other :D.
Quote from: Kim
^ This woman knows what she's talking about.

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #5 on: 28 July, 2009, 09:23:08 pm »
If you go to Sandwich, is it possible to resist Ham?
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Pippa

• Busy being fabulous
« Reply #6 on: 28 July, 2009, 10:30:09 pm »
I'm in please Adam. Assuming of course Auntie Helen and I make it back from Germany  :D

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
« Reply #7 on: 28 July, 2009, 10:47:05 pm »
I'm quite interested in this. Sounds like a sensible alternative to the Cheam & Morden Hilly (postponed from icy February).

« Reply #8 on: 28 July, 2009, 11:46:07 pm »
If you go to Sandwich, is it possible to resist Ham?

Where did you get that signpost?? ........  :D

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
« Reply #9 on: 29 July, 2009, 12:12:34 am »
Here I think.

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
« Reply #10 on: 25 August, 2009, 11:53:31 pm »
I want to do this ride but logistically it's quite difficult, what with the WARTY being the following day and all. I'll work out what the trains are doing.

« Reply #11 on: 26 August, 2009, 07:56:30 am »
Put me down for this one please, Adam.

J

« Reply #12 on: 26 August, 2009, 10:20:41 am »
Can you add me to the list for this one, provisionally?

« Reply #13 on: 26 August, 2009, 11:07:31 am »
The direct rail website says it's bus from Sittingbourne to Whitstable that day?

(Don't know what I was thinking- 3 changes and a cross-London journey??)

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
« Reply #14 on: 26 August, 2009, 11:15:53 am »
The direct rail website says it's bus from Sittingbourne to Whitstable that day?

(Don't know what I was thinking- 3 changes and a cross-London journey??)

National Rail doesn't... clicky. That doesn't mean that there won't be, of course.

I reckon 7.20 from Southend Central to Grays, ask the nice man to take me over the bridge, then get to Dartford in time for the 9.04 and change at Gillingham to get on the same train that everyone else is on - assuming that it's not buggered by bus services.

« Reply #15 on: 26 August, 2009, 11:18:09 am »

No such info on National Rail ??? ??? ???

In my experience it's unusual for SouthEastern to do maintenance on a Saturday.
Sunday? Yes, but not usually on a Saturday.

Anyways - Sittingbourne to Herne Bay is a lovely ride  :thumbsup:  :demon:

EDIT - OOPS! Cross posting with Wow  :-[

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
« Reply #16 on: 26 August, 2009, 11:19:53 am »
Don't worry, Jurek, I'll cross posts with you any time. :thumbsup:

Adam

• It'll soon be summer
« Reply #17 on: 26 August, 2009, 11:48:33 am »
I'd originally checked on the trainline.com and National Rail web sites back in June, but as mentioned above, it still seems OK.

Roll call time.

Me
Jurek
PippaG
Kats
Wowbagger
her_welshness  
Auntie Helen
dj (possible)
Sergeant Pluck (possible)

Likely route is here.

56 miles, and only 1,600 ft of climbing & descending, to a maximum altitude of 269 ft!!  So if you want to go up & down insanely steep hills, the Cheam & Morden Surrey Hills ride would be better suited for you, but if you want a casual pootle, this will be your cup of tea.  I'll even promise to try and stay off the big ring!

I'll be doing a recce ride this weekend, either Saturday or Sunday, although I may ride out from London and do lots of miles, if anyone is mad enough to join me!  I'll also be going over the route from Whitstable immediately following the FNrttC on Saturday 5th September ( I don't think anyone will be mad enough for that though)!

Edit - updated list and info.

her_welshness

• Slut of a librarian
    • Lewisham Cyclists
« Reply #18 on: 26 August, 2009, 11:53:21 am »
I'd originally checked on the trainline.com and National Rail web sites back in June, but as mentioned above, it still seems OK.

Roll call time.

Me
Jurek
PippaG
Kats
Wowbagger
Sergeant Pluck (possible)

Likely route is here

I'll be doing a recce ride this weekend, either Saturday or Sunday, although I may ride out from London and do lots of miles, if anyone is mad enough to join me!  I'll also be going over the route from Whitstable immediately following the FNrttC on Saturday 5th September.

And me sir!

« Reply #19 on: 26 August, 2009, 02:35:30 pm »

I'll be doing a recce ride this weekend, either Saturday or Sunday, although I may ride out from London and do lots of miles, if anyone is mad enough to join me!  I'll also be going over the route from Whitstable immediately following the FNrttC on Saturday 5th September ( I don't think anyone will be mad enough for that though)!

If it's Sunday, I might  be available to join you.
However, I'm likely to have stuff to attend to first thing - so it may be a case of catching a train and RV'ing with you.

Adam

• It'll soon be summer
« Reply #20 on: 26 August, 2009, 08:18:40 pm »

If it's Sunday, I might  be available to join you.
However, I'm likely to have stuff to attend to first thing - so it may be a case of catching a train and RV'ing with you.

Sunday will be fine.  :thumbsup:

Have a look at the train timetables, and work out an arrival time/place along the FNRttC route that's convenient for you, and then I can sort out a departure time from London to link in with that.

« Reply #21 on: 26 August, 2009, 09:51:31 pm »
Adam,
if you're planning on riding from London (Cutty Sark Gardens departure?) and then doing the 'Fish n' Chips' ride, it'd make sense for me to intercept you somewhere en route.
Rather than you try to accommodate me.

No?

Give me an idea of where and when you'll be departing from and I'll work it out from there, so as we meet.
J

« Reply #22 on: 26 August, 2009, 11:29:50 pm »
I'm signed up for the C&M Hilly 50 on the12th, can I join you on Sunday?
[Quote/]Adrian, you're living proof that bandwidth is far too cheap.[/Quote]

Adam

• It'll soon be summer
« Reply #23 on: 27 August, 2009, 05:05:45 pm »
Adam,
if you're planning on riding from London (Cutty Sark Gardens departure?) and then doing the 'Fish n' Chips' ride, it'd make sense for me to intercept you somewhere en route.
Rather than you try to accommodate me.

No?

Give me an idea of where and when you'll be departing from and I'll work it out from there, so as we meet.
J

Okly dokly.

Assuming I get up early enough, I'll be rolling past Cutty Sark Gardens around 8.00, then up to Blackheath to have a look at the Climate Camp, then for a change, Shooters Hill and A207 across to Dartford, then the usual FNRttC route so going through Rochester ETA 09.45, Sittingbourne ETA 10.30, arriving at Whitstable around 11.30 or so, to then go over the proper Fish & Chip route.

So have a look at what South Eastern trains link in with that sort of timetable, and give me a call en route to let me know what station you'll come into.  8)

Adam

• It'll soon be summer
« Reply #24 on: 27 August, 2009, 05:07:41 pm »
I'm signed up for the C&M Hilly 50 on the12th, can I join you on Sunday?

That would be great.   :thumbsup:

See above for joining instructions.