Linked Events

• Sandwich & Fish & Chip Tour: 12 September, 2009

Author Topic: Sandwich and Fish & Chip Tour of Kent - Sat. 12th September  (Read 10397 times)

her_welshness

• Slut of a librarian
    • Lewisham Cyclists
Re: Sandwich and Fish & Chip Tour of Kent - Sat. 12th September
« Reply #50 on: 10 September, 2009, 04:55:22 pm »
Oh, and rest assured that I will be bringing my trusty Speedos. :thumbsup:

Ffffwwooarrr (as they used to say in Just Seventeen).  :D

So thats 5 of us at Bromley Saarth  :thumbsup:

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #51 on: 10 September, 2009, 04:57:11 pm »
Oh, and rest assured that I will be bringing my trusty Speedos. :thumbsup:

Ffffwwooarrr (as they used to say in Just Seventeen).  :D

*blushes coyly*
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #52 on: 11 September, 2009, 11:11:48 pm »
Bike fettled.

Route to Dartford Station in Garmin.

Speedoes & towel at the ready.

Off to bed now and up again at 6 a.m.

« Reply #53 on: 12 September, 2009, 10:27:40 pm »
Another fine and well planned ride from Adam  :thumbsup:

Good company in slightly grey weather departed from Vista Belle.

Weather improved but pointy things in road did not......

Pippa suffered a brace of deflations in Canterbury Uni's campus.

Those fixed, we repaired to Preston for CAKE! Nom!

Kentish lanes took us (nearly) to the coast at Sandwich.

Then grunty headwind >:(

Then Chish and Fips in Ramsgate - more nom!

Ice cream from the Italian parlour in Broadstairs.

Margate and the sight of a sandy shore saw several individuals enter the sea - some in cozzies, some not  :D

Pippa and your humble correspondent left them to their splashing and made for Herne Bay to visit friends.

That done, we elected to catch a train home, and lo (and behold) who should join it in Whitstable?  But 5 cyclists who were last seen floundering  ;) on Margate beach.

A great day out, thanks all  :thumbsup:

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
« Reply #54 on: 12 September, 2009, 10:36:29 pm »
Just got back, pretty tired, will write something up in due course (and add photographs).

Weird to be cycling past where James was theoretically sailing, not that we saw him.

Top chips and almost a whole large bar of dairy milk when I got to my friend's in the evening made it a good food day!
My blog on cycling in Germany and eating German cake – http://www.auntiehelen.co.uk

her_welshness

• Slut of a librarian
    • Lewisham Cyclists
« Reply #55 on: 12 September, 2009, 10:37:42 pm »
What a wonderful ride today - the last chance to experience an almost summer ride, with great company, beautiful orchards full of fruit, magnificent sea and CAKE, scampi (which was gorgeous) and at Whitstable station Wow and I had chinese takeaway and beer  :D

The swim in Margate was invigorating, and it was lovely to bump into Jurek and PippaG on the train going back!

Diolch yn fawr Adam  :thumbsup:

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #56 on: 12 September, 2009, 11:59:31 pm »
Very good ride indeed. Just arrived home. Have some photos and will write more in due course. Priority one: food. Priorty two: dog walk. Priority three: bed. Priority four: get up and go for another bike ride with Pippa, Jurek, Jane, Auntie Helen... I could get used to this.

Adam

• It'll soon be summer
    • Charity ride Durness to Dover 18-25th June 2011
« Reply #57 on: 13 September, 2009, 04:36:57 pm »
Seeing as all the above are cycling round avoiding unexploded bombs on Foulness, that leaves me free to post!

As everyone else was getting on further along the line, I got on the train at Victoria, enabling me to pass the secret location of the bike carriage to Jurek, so at Bromley Jurek, Pippa, Katie, Jane and Paul were all lined up right next to the doors.  After putting bikes in various places, Wowbagger then got on at Rochester and Auntie Helen was waiting at Whitstable, meaning there were eight of us.

We quickly left Whitstable and hopped onto the Crab & Winkle trail to Canterbury.  

Sadly whilst going past the University, thanks to these guys

Pippa suffered a soft & squidgy effect in her rear tyre which after fixing, due to over enthusiastic pumping then resulted in a snapped valve meaning Jurek had to use a second inner tube to get her on the road again.  

Whilst zooming down St Stephens Hill my computer logged 71 mph somehow which seemed a little excessive, even for me, but the rest of the ride being fairly flat passed with a more normal speed range.

Due to the delay caused by the puncture, we were getting a bit peckish, so we stopped off at the garden centre in the little village of Preston for cake.

Rolling past the Roman castle at Richborough

we then went through the ancient town of Sandwich to pick up the cycle path along the A256, to have a look at the replica Viking boat showing the site when the Vikings first landed in AD449

(lots of history on this ride)  :thumbsup:

After a very nice fish & chip stop in Ramsgate

we then rolled along the coast

to stop for ice cream in Broadstairs.

Once we rounded the tip of Kent at North Foreland, we had the wind behind us, which was nice, so in Margate, we stopped to allow Jane & Katie (and Wowbagger once he'd got changed) to go for a swim.

I'm assuming you've checked the water quality...........

Going along the sea wall after Margate there were a few places where the water was splashing over the edge but on the stretch to Reculver the sea calmed down and on the final stretch back to Whitstable we just admired the views as the sun went down.

We'd just missed a train, so after saying goodbye to Helen, sadly we had nearly an hour to wait for the next train, so Wowbagger & Katie obtained a few essentials from the takeaway and off-licence.

Another fun day out, so thanks everyone for coming along.  Sadly, I've got a feeling it might be the last day out in shorts for me for this year.

Other photos here.

“Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance you must keep moving.” -Albert Einstein

Adam

• It'll soon be summer
    • Charity ride Durness to Dover 18-25th June 2011
« Reply #58 on: 13 September, 2009, 05:18:17 pm »
If someone could try the saithe fillet and chips at £1.95 and report back please.

Food report here.
“Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance you must keep moving.” -Albert Einstein

« Reply #59 on: 13 September, 2009, 08:11:33 pm »
If someone could try the saithe fillet and chips at £1.95 and report back please.

Food report here.

Thank you
[Quote/]Adrian, you're living proof that bandwidth is far too cheap.[/Quote]

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #60 on: 13 September, 2009, 10:04:32 pm »
It's very British to complain about the weather, and 2009 seems to have elicited quite a few moans from YACFers, but I'm going to mount a stout defence. I've done loads of miles this year and seldom have I needed to don a waterproof. Indeed, most of my riding has been in glorious sunshine and Adam picked yet another beautiful day for our trip around the Kent coast.

My day started early and I was out of the house around 7 and on the train to Grays soon after. The ride to the Thames crossing control, the crossing itself and the ride to Dartford station gave me plenty of time for a large coffee and an even larger Danish pastry before joining my second train. That took me to Rochester, where for the first time I noticed a dead submarine parked in the Medway. I found a secluded bit of Rochester station on which to practice a little tai chi before the train with everyone else on rolled in. We arrived in Whitstable to time and greeted Auntie Helen, who had driven down.

We took the Crab & Winkle Way, an off-road but not-too-rough path to Canterbury. It was pleasant and wooded and gave an early opportunity for innuendo when there was a sign telling us about a "Winkle Link". Soon we found ourselves amongst Canterbury's answer to Oxford's Dreaming Spires where there were some lumberjacks and they seemed OK. Pippa's tyre deflated, presumably as a result of their work and after a not inconsiderable battle to persuade her Continental tyre to go back on the rim, Jurek's pumping technique caused a deal of hilarity. He did seem to get a little carried away and just when we thought he was about to finish, there was a hiss as the valve snapped and another tube had to be found. After another battle to get the tyre off I produced my Special Thingy for getting difficult tyres back on. Jane said that she had one of those but didn't know how to use it so I demonstrated, much to her satisfaction. Once the tyre was seated, Jurek seemed unable to reproduce the turgidity of his first attempt so I took over with my rather longer one and in a few rapid strokes Pippa seemed satisfied too. Her puncture mended, we carried on.

We almost flew into Canterbury, down St. Stephen's hill, and my computer recorded just over 37 mph, one of my highest ever speeds on a solo machine. Soon we found the off-road section into Fordwich and then, after we climbed out of the Stour valley we had a lover ride along a ridge all the way into Preston with its tea room and wonderful cake. For me, it was carrot & ginger.

Refreshed, we made for Sandwich and tackled the headwind as we headed north-east. The sea was a beautiful blue but try as we might we couldn't pick out Uncle James's catamaran. He was making or Ramsgate and although we got there first, he had had a very rapid journey and was off North Foreland.

The chip shop was visited and as we were getting ready to leave a boy on an electric-powered skateboard entertained us for a while. Then it was more slog into the wind.

Once we rounded Kent's top right-hand corner the wind was our friend and we had a very fine ride into Whitstable. Jane, Her Welshness and I had a most enjoyable dip on Margate beach in which, unusually, I was the only one kitted out in regulation swimming costume. I think the waves were probably bigger than any I had previously experienced on the east coast. We left the promenade and a couple of hills might have been faster than St. Stephen's but for an occasional bend or inconveniently placed car.

On reaching the station it became clear that the homeward journey was going to be a bit of a slog. However, it allowed Her Welshness and me to load a few post-ride calories in the form of chow mein and beer. Three trains and a Tunnel Patrol vehicle ride later, I eventually arrived home at a quarter to midnight.

jane

• Mad pie-hating female
« Reply #61 on: 13 September, 2009, 10:08:59 pm »
A big thank you to Adam  for arranging a wonderful end of summer ride- and thanks also to everyone else who came along- great company,indeed, so all in all a lovely day.

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
« Reply #62 on: 13 September, 2009, 10:11:10 pm »
Well that was an enjoyable ride.

Haven't got anything additional to say for a write-up but here are my photos:

Image hosting, free photo sharing & video sharing at Photobucket
My blog on cycling in Germany and eating German cake – http://www.auntiehelen.co.uk

« Reply #63 on: 13 September, 2009, 10:15:25 pm »
You certainly arranged some exceptional weather for the ride  :)

I'm sorry I could not attend.