Author Topic: Grammar that makes you cringe  (Read 856343 times)

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
Re: Grammar that makes you cringe
« Reply #6325 on: 29 December, 2021, 09:30:05 pm »
'Gotten' is surely standard USAnian?

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #6326 on: 29 December, 2021, 09:34:58 pm »
someone who can't spell LOL properly
I'm not sure whether "Im" is meant to "IM" as in an abbreviation for something like "instant message" or "I'm" without punctuation. Awesome, fab, congrats and omg were all pretty popular before the internet took off as well. In fact journalists, of all people, were moaning about the overuse of "awesome" back in the late 1980s.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #6327 on: 29 December, 2021, 09:36:51 pm »

Five ways the internet era has changed British English

Anyway, it's just saying written UK English has become more informal. I would think that's because of online forums, social media, blogs etc being more chatty. Pre-internet, published informal texts would be much less common, maybe almost non existent.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #6328 on: 29 December, 2021, 09:43:24 pm »

Anyway, it's just saying written UK English has become more informal. I would think that's because of online forums, social media, blogs etc being more chatty. Pre-internet, published informal texts would be much less common, maybe almost non existent.

Exactly.

British English has been steadily becoming more American since the invention of the GI, so that's hardly a new phenomenon, and I'd class the use of 'gotten' by Brits as part of that.  (I remember people using 'gotten' in the 80s.)

What the internet's brought is vast swathes of informal writing, hence the drifts in modals, punctuation habits, etc.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #6329 on: 29 December, 2021, 09:47:01 pm »
I'm not sure whether "Im" is meant to "IM" as in an abbreviation for something like "instant message" or "I'm" without punctuation.

I was wondering about that too.  The inclusion of "Ive" suggests it might be "I'm" without an apostrophe (which is surely a significant linguistic drift getting lost in a list of brand names, abbreviations and technical terms).  Also, nobody talks about IMs any more, do they? (Even though they're alive and well, and mostly owned by Facebook.)

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #6330 on: 29 December, 2021, 10:41:34 pm »
Did someone say "forums"?

::-)

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #6331 on: 30 December, 2021, 12:45:24 pm »
I'm not sure whether "Im" is meant to "IM" as in an abbreviation for something like "instant message" or "I'm" without punctuation.

I was wondering about that too.  The inclusion of "Ive" suggests it might be "I'm" without an apostrophe (which is surely a significant linguistic drift getting lost in a list of brand names, abbreviations and technical terms).  Also, nobody talks about IMs any more, do they? (Even though they're alive and well, and mostly owned by Facebook.)
I think George Bernard Shaw never used apostrophes and advocated their abolition, on the grounds that they confuse people. It didn't stop him getting a Nobel Prize (maybe even helped) but I don't think it's his influence leading to their decline now.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #6332 on: 30 December, 2021, 02:43:24 pm »

I think George Bernard Shaw never used apostrophes and advocated their abolition, on the grounds that they confuse people. It didn't stop him getting a Nobel Prize (maybe even helped) but I don't think it's his influence leading to their decline now.

It's interesting, because you'd expect autocarrot to insert the apostrophe automagically on a fondleslab, which is surely the place where most lazy typing takes place.

I've just checked on my phone and the suggestions are "ive" "I've" "ice" and "im" "I'm" "immediately" respectively.  You'd think the lazy option would be to take the prominent, grammatically correct, suggestion.  Are people deliberately using the lower-case version for linguistic reasons (cf. Gretchen McCulloch)?  Or taking the leftmost suggestion, even though it's further to reach with your right hand?  Do people genuinely not know how to use contractions properly?  Or is it purely a hardware keyboard phenomenon?

Abolishing apostrophes is an interesting idea.  It's a bit like USAnian spelling, in that it's clearly inevitable.  Which doesn't make it any less cringe-worthy for those of us who've been brought up to use them correctly.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #6333 on: 30 December, 2021, 03:09:55 pm »
My fondleslab only gives three alternatives for any given word and at least one of them is often something it’s learned from P@nd3m1c Pr0duckt10nzTM® and therefore of limited utility when typing for the Rest Of The World.  Perhaps if I try it in portrait…
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #6334 on: 30 December, 2021, 03:18:03 pm »

A fair whack of "Americanisms" come from Scottish Standard English or Hiberno-English

Gotten is perfectly legit here as it is the past-participle of "get" in Scots, SSE is modern English mangled with Scots and Gaelic, Scots is of course middle english mangled with Gaelic and then presented to a different set of trading partners from what middle English and Northumbric were.

See also Halloween.

British English is a fallacy created by the ruling class to attempt to present the UK as a single homogenous thing rather than the inherent multi-cuktural thing it is, feck Scotland has 4 distinct high-level cultures as it was (lowland, Highland, hebridean and norse), England has an imperial fuck ton of them, as can easily be seen by putting a Geordie in the same room as a Cornish.

Sent from my BKL-L09 using Tapatalk

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #6335 on: 30 December, 2021, 04:53:56 pm »

It's interesting, because you'd expect autocarrot to insert the apostrophe automagically on a fondleslab, which is surely the place where most lazy typing takes place.

I've just checked on my phone and the suggestions are "ive" "I've" "ice" and "im" "I'm" "immediately" respectively.  You'd think the lazy option would be to take the prominent, grammatically correct, suggestion.  Are people deliberately using the lower-case version for linguistic reasons (cf. Gretchen McCulloch)?  Or taking the leftmost suggestion, even though it's further to reach with your right hand?  Do people genuinely not know how to use contractions properly?  Or is it purely a hardware keyboard phenomenon?
I've just checked on mine and the options it gives are slightly different but always include both the correct form and the incorrect one I've entered. Interestingly, typing "ive" gives "i've" as an option. Also, I'm so used to MS Word and its equivalents autocorrecting "i" to "I" that I'm caught out when my phone doesn't do this for me.

Abolishing apostrophes is an interesting idea.  It's a bit like USAnian spelling, in that it's clearly inevitable.  Which doesn't make it any less cringe-worthy for those of us who've been brought up to use them correctly.
I don't think they will be formally abolished, because English doesn't do things like that, nor am I sure they will die out. Rather, I think their use will probably alter to become something else. Perhaps apostrophe s being how you form a plural unless the word ends in a vowel, or something just as silly as the mess we have now.

ian

« Reply #6336 on: 30 December, 2021, 06:43:39 pm »

A fair whack of "Americanisms" come from Scottish Standard English or Hiberno-English

Gotten is perfectly legit here as it is the past-participle of "get" in Scots, SSE is modern English mangled with Scots and Gaelic, Scots is of course middle english mangled with Gaelic and then presented to a different set of trading partners from what middle English and Northumbric were.

See also Halloween.

British English is a fallacy created by the ruling class to attempt to present the UK as a single homogenous thing rather than the inherent multi-cuktural thing it is, feck Scotland has 4 distinct high-level cultures as it was (lowland, Highland, hebridean and norse), England has an imperial fuck ton of them, as can easily be seen by putting a Geordie in the same room as a Cornish.

Gotten is standard English in several parts of the UK, and the standard in the US, never sure why it keeps being highlighted as some symptom of creeping Americanism). I think it sounds nice than the rather curt got.

« Reply #6337 on: 30 December, 2021, 07:26:25 pm »
See also “bring” for “take”, and “brought” for “taken”.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #6338 on: 30 December, 2021, 08:46:01 pm »
Sentences please?

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #6339 on: 30 December, 2021, 08:47:42 pm »

See also Halloween.

Gotten is standard English in several parts of the UK, and the standard in the US, never sure why it keeps being highlighted as some symptom of creeping Americanism). I think it sounds nice than the rather curt got.
Aye you may note i led to that in my rant.
At what point does English split into another language must it be like Dutch to hoch deutsch or like Norwegian to Danish.

(to take examples from close relatives)

Or must the language have an army, thus Scots is just out of date English and we can claim Northumberland, land grab sorted.

« Reply #6340 on: 30 December, 2021, 08:52:32 pm »
Sentences please?

“Did I you bring the food with you?” instead of “Did you take the food with you?”  A construction I’ve heard in Ireland and in the US.

And it’s brought in place of took, not taken  :)

We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #6341 on: 30 December, 2021, 08:55:14 pm »
Or must the language have an army, thus Scots is just out of date English and we can claim Northumberland, land grab sorted.

The old saying, "a language is a dialect with its own flag".

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #6342 on: 30 December, 2021, 09:14:19 pm »
“Did I you bring the food with you?” instead of “Did you take the food with you?”  A construction I’ve heard in Ireland and in the US.

Surely those denote different scenarios, with the first question being asked in the presence of the food in order to determine its origin, and the second being asked in order to determine what happened to the food when the person left?

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #6343 on: 30 December, 2021, 09:33:11 pm »
I presume that in Irish English it's standard to use bring for both situations. It's not something I've noticed but then I've never been to Ireland (maybe I should make that a plan for 2022).

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #6344 on: 30 December, 2021, 10:05:32 pm »
I cringe when a website asks for the expiration date of my credit/debit card, not its expiry date.

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #6345 on: 30 December, 2021, 10:29:35 pm »
I cringe when a website asks for the expiration date of my credit/debit card, not its expiry date.

I have a sharp intake of breath.

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #6346 on: 30 December, 2021, 11:03:44 pm »
Sentences please?

Yeah so that's normal to me... probably Gaelic grammar applied to English.
Although IIRC you would ask someone if they have the food at them, and they'd either say they have the food at them or they don't have the food at them

Google translate job:
A bheil am biadh agad?
Tha am biadh agam
or
Chan eil am biadh agam

Ever noticed you struggle to get a Yes/No question or answer out of people from Gaelic speaking areas?

A much more subtle one to listen for.
SSE grammar says that if there is food on the table it needs Eaten.
SE English grammar says that if there's food on the table then it needs earing.
Not sure about Hiberno

Giraffe

• I brake for Giraffes
« Reply #6347 on: 31 December, 2021, 08:42:16 am »
Sentences please?

Some time ago a friend 'phoned to ask for help with a job on his house and said "will you fetch a saw?" instead of bring a saw. I didn't ask from whereabouts I should collect it.
2x4: thick plank; 4x4: 2 of 'em.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #6348 on: 31 December, 2021, 08:45:10 am »
Where/when did "have got to" meaning "must" come into things?

(I do cringe when someone sprinkles both liberally in a sentence: " you've got to get a <blah> to get this right "
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #6349 on: 31 December, 2021, 10:16:08 am »
A much more subtle one to listen for.
SSE grammar says that if there is food on the table it needs Eaten.
SE English grammar says that if there's food on the table then it needs earing.
Not sure about Hiberno
I wouldn't have called that a particularly subtle difference. I hadn't linked it directly to any particular area either.